Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1243479 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #5610 on: July 19, 2016, 04:14:27 pm »
Hi Gwynant, Any pics to show us from your scenic trip?
I like your dedication to the forum......" but we were on a coach returning from the Italian Dolomites and I just checked the Forum website in an autostrada free wi-fi area on  the top of the Brenner Pass at the border of Austria and Italy......."

....and I thought I was bad!    ;D

Hi Hollins, all the passengers on the coach were from North Wales and we were trying to find the answer to a question on line when I thought I would check on what was going on here at home and I recognised the location of Hugo's question. I have obviously got lots of pics of the Dolomites and Lake Garda  but whether I can get them off my camera on to my computer after Windows wrecked my files trying to install Windows 10 against my wishes is another thing!
        I haven't even started to sort them out yet but on one excursion we drove up to the top of the Sella Pass (7362 ft) and Mrs Gwynant and I were lucky enough to have been allocated the two seats immediately behind the driver for the trip and the coach was one of those observation types with a  huge windscreen. We did over 2,800 miles in total and I felt like Ihad driven it myself when we got home last night! We stayed in a little family-run hotel (with a free bar at night!) in a little village 3000 ft above sea level and thoroughly enjoyed it.
          Hugo, the Dingle boardwalk is very impressive and especially where it goes through the little gorge but I felt that some of the woodwork required some attention and had been patched here and there around the lake and the wooden statues are very good as well. I believe lottery funds were used to construct it and it is also used as a cycle path following the Afon Cefni which finishes at Maltraeth. Llyn Cefni Reservoir is relatively new, having been completed in 1951.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #5611 on: July 19, 2016, 04:36:59 pm »
You've got my sympathy with having been upgraded to Windows 10 against your wishes as I've still got some problems with the system when the upgrade was forced on me.
I think Nemesis was on Windows 7 and was receiving the offers of upgrades but turning then down, hope that she's luckier than the two of us.
When we went over the Brenner Pass and down the zig zags to the Dolomites we were in the front seats level with the driver and those front seats were quite a bit ahead of the front wheels with the result that on the corners we were over the edge of the road and looking down on the drop below us.
As soon as we stopped at a monastery we headed for the bar but were beaten to it by the driver who ordered and drank a bottle of wine.       ZXZ

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5612 on: July 19, 2016, 06:39:25 pm »
The B. thing actually installed it, but I immediately saw what had happened and uninstalled it ! So I am still on the old system. I am now having a lot of trouble with the whole thing freezing up on me.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5613 on: July 19, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »
I think that the Gremlins are getting their own back on you Nemesis for doing such a thing.

Offline hollins

« Reply #5614 on: July 19, 2016, 10:34:37 pm »

Hi Hollins, all the passengers on the coach were from North Wales and we were trying to find the answer to a question on line when I thought I would check on what was going on here at home and I recognised the location of Hugo's question. I have obviously got lots of pics of the Dolomites and Lake Garda  but whether I can get them off my camera on to my computer after Windows wrecked my files trying to install Windows 10 against my wishes is another thing!
        I haven't even started to sort them out yet but on one excursion we drove up to the top of the Sella Pass (7362 ft) and Mrs Gwynant and I were lucky enough to have been allocated the two seats immediately behind the driver for the trip and the coach was one of those observation types with a  huge windscreen. We did over 2,800 miles in total and I felt like Ihad driven it myself when we got home last night! We stayed in a little family-run hotel (with a free bar at night!) in a little village 3000 ft above sea level and thoroughly enjoyed it.

[/quote]

Gwynant, you definitely get the prize for forum loyalty by getting a whole coach doing the quiz!
 &well&
Don't worry about posting the photos if it is a pain. Sorry about your computer problems. My poor old mum had a near miss with Windows 10 too.
Glad to hear about your trip and the family run hotel sounds wonderful.

Offline hollins

« Reply #5615 on: July 24, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »
Where in North Wales will you find this building?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5616 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:36 pm »
I'm still working on this one Hollins, my guess is that you took it on the way home after you had that delicious looking meal and then after taking the photos of that car.
But where is it?         ?{}?

I'll have a good look tomorrow as the old bonce is still slightly fuzzy

Offline hollins

« Reply #5617 on: July 24, 2016, 10:22:58 pm »
I thought you might be working something out from the picture numbers!
Here is another photo clue to help those tired brain cells.   ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5618 on: July 24, 2016, 10:32:09 pm »
I'm going to have a very wild guess on this and only because the concrete steps appear wet.   Is it Lake Vyrnwy by any chance?

Offline hollins

« Reply #5619 on: July 24, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
It isn't Vyrnwy but you are on the right track.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5620 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:00 pm »
It's Llyn Brenig.     

Offline hollins

« Reply #5621 on: July 24, 2016, 10:53:32 pm »
Close, but no it isn't Brenig.

Offline Jack

« Reply #5622 on: July 25, 2016, 07:38:17 am »
Llyn Alwen?

Offline hollins

« Reply #5623 on: July 25, 2016, 08:17:11 am »
Yes, well done Jack.
It is the building on the dam at the Alwen reservoir. It was a pity the heavens opened when we got there but we plan to go back and do the 7 mile walk around it in better weather. I will post photos of the walk if we do it.

Here is some info courtesy of Wikipedia.
"The Alwen Reservoir or Cronfa Alwen is a 5 km long reservoir near Pentre-Llyn-Cymmer in Conwy County Borough, Wales. The bulk of the reservoir lies in Cerrigydrudion community, while the northern arm forms the boundary between Pentrefoelas, to the west, and Llansannan and Nantglyn, to the north and east. It is held back by the 27 metre high Alwen Dam, which impounds the Afon Alwen, and is 8 km downstream from Llyn Alwen. It was built between 1909 and 1921, originally to supply water to the town of Birkenhead, near Liverpool in England. Today it is part of the River Dee regulation system and is operated by Welsh Water.

The dam is a gravity-arch masonry dam. The "first stone" of the dam records that the engineers were Sir Alex. Binnie, Son and [George] Deacon and the contractors were Sir Robert McAlpine.[1] A large water treatment facility was built below the dam, and a cast iron underground aqueduct laid to Birkenhead. The original water treatment buildings are still standing, but the equipment inside has long gone, replaced by modern plant in a new building.

The operators, Welsh Water have a scheme to teach children about the importance of water, linked to the National Curriculum Key Stage 2 and offer an on-site classroom and guided tours of the water treatment works to schools. The nearby Outdoor Education Centre at Pentre-Llyn-Cymmer accommodates children during school trips.

The reservoir is very close to Llyn Brenig. It is at the end of a valley, and has no through routes around it for vehicles. However the reservoir has an extensive network of trails (public foot paths as well as forest roads suitable for horse riding, mountain biking and walking).

Footpaths around the reservoir were upgraded in 2005 and 2006, providing better access to the general public and allowing greater exploration of the North and South Alwen forests."

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5624 on: July 30, 2016, 01:10:23 pm »
Sort of a quiz........