Author Topic: Shipping News  (Read 4266 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Shipping News
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »
The Galatea was definitely there yesterday, not sure about today. Found out some more about it:
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/commercial_activities/commercial_services/thv_galatea.html

"Trinity House’s Multi Functional Tender (MFT), GALATEA, delivered in 2007, has been designed with buoy handling, wreck marking, towing and multibeam and side scan hydrographic surveying capability. At 84m long with a service speed of 13 knots, she is fitted to the highest and most modern technical standards.

GALATEA is a state of the art vessel enhanced by many additional features including DPAA dynamic positioning, a range of high specification survey equipment, a 30t lift crane, a 1.2m² moon pool, a large working deck with the facility to lock containers on deck with plug in to 230v or 400v supply, a helicopter-landing pad and a high-speed workboat."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:48:14 pm by DaveR »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Shipping News
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »
The Galatea is still moored in the bay today.

I have seen the little speedboat going to and fro from the vessel this last few days ...

You could hardly see the Galatea in the gloom ... but it was a strange sight to see the smaller (but similar looking) Prince Madoc sailing past The Galatea, in the direction of The Little Orme just before lunch.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Shipping News
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:38 pm »
The Galatea is still moored in the bay today.

I have seen the little speedboat going to and fro from the vessel this last few days ...

You could hardly see the Galatea in the gloom ... but it was a strange sight to see the smaller (but similar looking) Prince Madoc sailing past The Galatea, in the direction of The Little Orme just before lunch.
A closer look at the Galatea:

THV GALATEA by John Ambler, on Flickr

08120732 by The Blogless One, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:30:32 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Shipping News
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »
I found this useful little website that shows all the shipping passing through local waters.

http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=GreatOrme

The map is continually updated and you get more information about each ship if you put your mouse over it.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07:03 pm »
Thanks Dave you've made my day,  what a fab link! *&(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:18:11 pm »
Thanks Dave you've made my day,  what a fab link! *&(
If only more women said that to me.  ;D

I think I got that link from a Forum member on the old Llandudno Local who has served in the Merchant Navy, think it was Essien.

Offline welshwiz

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »
 $thanx$What an interesting website. $walesflag$