Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 103516 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »
Stephen King stuff seems to be everywhere at the moment - but one of his better adaptions is Mr Mercedes. Not sure when it will be coming to the U.K officially but well worth looking out for. Incredibly dark.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2017, 09:21:10 am »
Stephen King stuff seems to be everywhere at the moment - but one of his better adaptions is Mr Mercedes. Not sure when it will be coming to the U.K officially but well worth looking out for. Incredibly dark.
Yes, a very good series. Brendan Gleeson is great in it and the psycho guy plays his part very well.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2017, 08:31:50 am »
B2R, may I recommend Mindhunter to you? We've watched the first 2 episodes and it is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZCfRD_zWE

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:14 am »
The (media induced?) furore around Gunpowder ensured at least one extra viewer. We hadn't bothered recording it, but when the complaints started coming in thought it might be worth a watch. It's produced by Kudos and Kit Harington’s Thriker Films, and it seems the GoT star has decided that realism - or at least, the nastier sort - sells. Anyone else seen it?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:47 am »
The (media induced?) furore around Gunpowder ensured at least one extra viewer. We hadn't bothered recording it, but when the complaints started coming in thought it might be worth a watch. It's produced by Kudos and Kit Harington’s Thriker Films, and it seems the GoT star has decided that realism - or at least, the nastier sort - sells. Anyone else seen it?
I was cajoled into watching it the other day. It was ok but not one of my favourites.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2017, 03:05:55 pm »
I watched it and enjoyed it. It does convey the horror of the period very well!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »
I have just watched tonight's episode of Great British Railway Journeys and it has an interesting piece about Gwrych Castle and the Countess who owned it.
I never knew before that the person who is trying to restore it with the trust started off the attempt when he was a 12 yr old schoolboy! Good luck to him.

The programme is available on BBC I Player if you missed it.

Michael Portillo travels between Liverpool and Wales, finding a miniature tank engine made by Frank Hornby, visiting the ruins of Gwrych Castle and meeting a Welsh surfing champion.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2018, 03:32:30 pm »
I must admit that I didn't care much for Michael Portilla as a politician but as a presenter on the railway jouneys he is really good and I've just finished and enjoyed watching the one featuring Gwrych Castle.
That young guy that is trying to restore the castle is quite a remarkable young man and I hope he is able to achieve what he has set out to do.
I'm now looking forward to seeing the next chapter in his railway journey

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
Yes;  it's the greasy Portillo as presenter that deters me from watching.

On a slightly different note, for Fester: have you watched Orville?  It's on Fox at the moment and it's written and produced by Seth McFarlane, not known for his erudite or socially-aware tendencies, but the Orville is quite remarkable. It's essentially Star Trek - TOS - given a makeover.

What marked ST out from other Sci Fi was its preparedness to deal with the socio-political issues of the day.  Orville is continuing that tradition, and - although what passes for humour from McFarlane is still in the script in places - it's about as far from Family Guy as you could get, and pulls off the trick of getting you to empathise with and care about the characters.

Very much worth seeing if you enjoy Star Trek.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:28 pm »
The young man restoring G wrych Castle  is a CCBC councilor  cabinet member I think

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2018, 07:09:34 pm »
Yes Robbie Councillor Mark Baker is a CCBC Cabinet Member for Community Development Services & Regulation as well as the founder of The Gwrych Castle Preservation Trust and making a fine job of both.
Mr M & I are really enjoying the series too and agree with you Hugo, Portillo makes a much better presenter.

Offline mull

« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »
I am also watching the Railway series.

Made me sit up and think ,the Zip wire Penrhyn Slate Quarry when it was mentioned about the Lock Out in 1900 and that a lot of the men had moved to South Wales to become coal miners.

On the Grace Ellen Jones site several months ago I think it was Helig traced 2 possible close relatives to my Taid who had come from Anglesey and had turned up in South Wales. Might explain things although I can not remember my mother mentioning any relations in South Wales.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2018, 12:31:57 am »
Yes;  it's the greasy Portillo as presenter that deters me from watching.

On a slightly different note, for Fester: have you watched Orville?  It's on Fox at the moment and it's written and produced by Seth McFarlane, not known for his erudite or socially-aware tendencies, but the Orville is quite remarkable. It's essentially Star Trek - TOS - given a makeover.

What marked ST out from other Sci Fi was its preparedness to deal with the socio-political issues of the day.  Orville is continuing that tradition, and - although what passes for humour from McFarlane is still in the script in places - it's about as far from Family Guy as you could get, and pulls off the trick of getting you to empathise with and care about the characters.

Very much worth seeing if you enjoy Star Trek.

What channel Ian?
It’s not something I’ve heard of.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2018, 08:14:47 am »
It's currently on Fox TV, F, which is on sky, Now TV, Virgin and Talk Talkl;  I only heard of it in passing, when someone earlier this year was slagging it off and a Star Trek enthusiast told them to go away, since the series was proving much better than anyone anticipated.  I suspect having McFarlane at the helm hasn't helped, as he's known mainly for Family Guy, which a lot don't like, but watching it I was genuinely surprised at just how good it is.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »
Currently on the third series of Fobrydelsen/The Killing. Yes, I know its been around for a few years but its fantastic!