Author Topic: Deganwy storm damage  (Read 9006 times)

Offline andyCYD

Deganwy storm damage
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:41 am »
Walked along from West Shore to Deganwy at the weekend. Quite shocking the amount of damage that occurred in the storm surge. My kids said it looked like an earthquake had happened. However, does put things in perspective when you think this was very localised damage whilst other countries have had this happen on a much bigger scale.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Deganwy storm damage
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:10 am »
North Shore would have looked like that had the wind been in the other direction. Great photos, Andy.  $good$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:28:18 pm »
I had a look today at the storm damage caused at Deganwy and it's a real mess and so sad to see all those memorial benches under a pile of debris.
I don't know when the repair work will get under way but in the NWWN last week it was quoting " Responsibility for repairing the sea defences at Deganwy lies with a private landowner. Conwy Council confirmed"
I hope that the landowner is not the same one who owns most of Llandudno because if that is the case the work will never get done.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:30:08 pm »
" Responsibility for repairing the sea defences at Deganwy lies with a private landowner. Conwy Council confirmed"

Correct me if I'm wrong Hugo, but weren't the sea defences at Penrhyn Bay the responsibility of the Private house holders and yet they were put in and paid for by CCBC
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
You're absolutely correct Blongb.  It was the property owner's responsibility and CCBC paid for it.     Many years ago I was in the process of buying a plot of land on the cliff edge to build a bungalow but backed down because of the high cost of building a sea defence.   Apart from that, any work I did would have done would have been futile if the adjoining property didn't do the same.   Those property owners at Penrhyn Bay were very lucky not having to fork out for the sea defence that was carried out.
There was something similar going on in Craigside but I'm not sure if those residents contributed or not.
The situation in Deganwy is slightly different I think as the sea defences were on the footpath and only the garden wall of one property was affected

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »
I have seen sea defence work  being done at Llys Helyg Drive in the past, I don't think that was done by the council and was paid for by the frontagers themselves. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
I think that you are correct Cambrian.  When I walked on the shore past them recently they had a variety of sea defences.  Plenty of large boulders and many of the stone filled wire baskets too.
A friend of mine lives in one of the houses and I know that he had to pay for his defences.
From memory I seem to remember JCB's and lorries working there and I think that they had to have some type of permission to go on the beach.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:10 am »
Beware the double-low while Wednesday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:56 pm »
It just keeps going on and on!        :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:14:18 pm »
We were down at West Shore & Deganwy for the high tide on Saturday:

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:36 am »
Very dramatic Dave.  Good job Arriva didn't decide it was the wrong kind of water !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »
It was nice to see on TV the other day that Aberystwyth has repaired all the storm damage and the work done looks very good indeed and is a credit to their Council,
It made me think about Deganwy, because I haven't been on the beach there since just after the storms, so I don't know what progress has been made so far.
In the NWWN this week it mentioned stage 2 will be undertaken soon so I must pop down there and see how it is looking now and what they did for stage 1.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:03 pm »
It was nice to see on TV the other day that Aberystwyth has repaired all the storm damage and the work done looks very good indeed and is a credit to their Council,
It made me think about Deganwy, because I haven't been on the beach there since just after the storms, so I don't know what progress has been made so far.
In the NWWN this week it mentioned stage 2 will be undertaken soon so I must pop down there and see how it is looking now and what they did for stage 1.
We walked past the other week, nothing whatsoever has been done.  &shake&

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 02:52:22 pm »
Meeting on Deganwy beach this Saturday morning to disscuss the size of stones etc etc,should be quitev interesting

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:33 pm »
Meeting on Deganwy beach this Saturday morning to disscuss the size of stones etc etc,should be quitev interesting

Deganwy Coastal Works - Update
Deganwy Prom
An information meeting has been arranged by Conwy County Borough Council to explain the ongoing protection works being carried out on the Deganwy coastline.

Where: Northern (Llandudno) end of Marine Crescent, Deganwy adjacent to the flood gate.
When: 10 am Saturday 27th September 2014
Why: To explain the proposed repair and reconstruction works on the promenade, present the materials to be used and listen to residents opinions on the proposals.
The meeting will involve a site walk along the planned works where Council Engineers will explain the proposals for the reconstruction of the damaged promenade.
For further information please email erf@conwy.gov.uk quoting "Deganwy Coastal Works".

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=143&doc=35541&Language=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter