Author Topic: Deganwy storm damage  (Read 9143 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Deganwy storm damage
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:28 pm »
Work to repair Deganwy promenade underway

A meeting held on Saturday, September 27 gave residents the opportunity to ask questions and get a more in-depth look at the reconstruction of the promenade, following damage caused by storms that hit the area last winter. 
in addition, the contract for phase two of the project is set to be awarded next week, and the construction process is set to take 10 weeks to complete.

Phase two involves the reconstruction of the demolished promenade, sea wall and the reinforcement of the coastal defences to reduce the risk of further erosion during storm events.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/138960/work-to-repair-deganwy-promenade-underway.aspx

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »
I wonder what work was done in Phase 1 then,  because I was there on Thursday and it looked no different to just after the storm.  Deganwy looked absolutely resplendent in the Autumn sunshine but it's a shame that the work wasn't carried  out much sooner

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:53 pm »
I see the contractors Jennings are still great with the safety issue ,fence there with signs on to keep out ,is that a girl on the wall the other side and a woman walking along footpath that is supposed to be closed  :rage: _))*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 12:16:37 pm »
I saw a photo in this weeks Pioneer of the Victorian shelter on the Deganwy promenade and it looks really good, very impressive indeed.  $good$

I just wish Llandudno had those shelters on the promenade,  Mr Hiller of Mostyn Estates did promise them and Victorian style street lamps too but that seems to be many years ago.    Perhaps the firm are still waiting for someone else to pick up the bill for them

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »
I saw a photo in this weeks Pioneer of the Victorian shelter on the Deganwy promenade and it looks really good, very impressive indeed.  $good$

I just wish Llandudno had those shelters on the promenade,  Mr Hiller of Mostyn Estates did promise them and Victorian style street lamps too but that seems to be many years ago.    Perhaps the firm are still waiting for someone else to pick up the bill for them
I believe the Deganwy Shelter is the same design as the ones that were originally on Llandudno Promenade until the 1960s/70s. I also recall that a plan was afoot to restore them to Llandudno Prom but nothing ever seems to happened...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-promenade-shelters-could-demolished-5325910

Llandudno promenade shelters could be demolished and replaced

BY JUDITH PHILLIPS
06:56, 26 JUL 2013 UPDATED 08:59, 26 JUL 2013

PROMENADE shelters which have  been described as concrete monstrosities could be demolished and replaced with Victorian era replicas.

The shelters on Llandudno’s North Shore  were 1960s replacements for the original  structures which dated from the late 19th  century.

But Conwy County Council officers are  recommending they should be replaced by  something more in keeping with the town’s  Victorian heritage.

The shelters will be built to the original 1899 designs which were uncovered by chance in a drawer in an old desk at the offices of landowners Mostyn  Estates.

“Llandudno’s major assets are its heritage  and Victorian character,” said the council’s  tourism chief Jim Jones.

“Continuing with the image of Victorian  Llandudno will realise the resort’s potential,  heighten its profile and boost tourism, encouraging the town to thrive for generations  to come.

“This project is aimed at enhancing the  visitor experience of Llandudno, leading to  an increased footfall on the promenade and  in the town centre allowing for more spending in the retail outlets.”

The scheme has been enthusiastically received by landowners Mostyn Estates,  Llandudno Town Council, the town’s Hospitality Association and Development Partnership.

And  the town council and Mostyn  Estates have both pledged to make substantial contributions to the cost of seven new shelters, with the initial cost for each estimated at around £50,000.

Mayor Gary Burchett said: “Getting rid of  those concrete monstrosities and replacing  them with replicas of the Victorian originals  will make the North Parade look more attractive.

“We are very supportive of the scheme and  will make a substantial contribution towards  the costs.”

And Mostyn Estates managing director  Edward Hiller said in addition to offering to  make a financial contribution, the company  had been able to supply the county council  with the plans for the original shelters.

“We found plans dated 1899 in a desk drawer  in the offices and these will be used as the  template for the design of the new shelters which will mean they will look pretty authentic.

“We are prepared to put money towards the  cost of the shelter and it would be good if  other businesses or private individuals in the  town were willing to match us pound for  pound and do the same,” added tourism chief Jim Jones.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »
Sorry to jump in on the Deganwy thread, but recently I contacted my local councilor, regarding the tram shelter on gloddaeth ave, and pointed out it's deteriorating state, and if rectified now, could be saved without to much expense, maybe not of great importance, but if left .........

Appendix 2: List of Listed Buildings within the Llandudno Conservation Area

Cadw Ref Number   Name   Listed as   Locality   Location                                                   Grade

25305         Shelter      Llandudno   On island in dual carriageway, opposite The Oval.   II

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 04:07:03 pm »
I popped along to Deganwy beach today to have a look at the Victorian style shelter that has been built to replace the one destroyed by the storms of 2014.     It's a really lovely shelter and a credit to whoever built it.    The views from it are outstanding but in the Autumn and Winter you wouldn't call it a shelter with the winds and horizontal rain that comes down the Menai Straits and there is no glass in it but it's still a very attractive building.

If I remember correctly the Victorian shelters in Llandudno did have toughened glass in them but the glass was always being cracked by the pebbles chucked up there in the rough weather, so perhaps it's a better idea at Deganwy to have no glass in them.