Author Topic: 2 Clement Avenue in 1947.  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
2 Clement Avenue in 1947.
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:20 am »
A relative obtained the death certificate for Elizabeth Kerridge who may be his great grandmother. This shows she died on 2 January 1947 at 2 Clement Avenue, Llandudno. She was aged 87.

We cannot be sure it is the right person. She is shown as widow of "........ Kerridge", "occupation not known". The age at death makes it a distinct possibility it is the right one.

It would be helpful to know what was at 2 Clement Ave in 1947. Was it a nursing home? I don't know if it would be possible to see what the directories show around that time. I have an idea that they didn't do any in the war years, however.

The name of the informant is given as M Jones. This doesn't help as there is no one of that name in the family. Could it have been someone working at the nursing home perhaps?

There are family links to Llandudno with many other members of this family living locally. None alive to ask these days unfortunately.

Helig.

Offline cazza

Re: 2 Clement Avenue in 1947.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:55:35 am »
2 Clement Avenue was a nursing home. My father died there in 1948 aged 45 years old. This was just weeks before the start of the NHS.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »
Helig, presuming Elizabeth Kerridge was buried and had a headstone, has your relative seen it because that may confirm that this is the same person?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:43:28 pm »
Kerridge was the name of a one time proprietor of the Alexandra Hotel if that's any help

Offline Helig

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:56:07 am »
Thank you Cazza, I had suspected as much. The identity of M Jones has been discovered and he was the doctor who certified the death, Maddock Jones FRCS.

Elizabeth Kerridge was related by marriage to the person who had The Alexandra Hotel.

The death certificate was obtained recently so there has been no action to determine where she was buried as yet. It is possible she was cremated at that time perhaps?

The person who is related and obtained the death certificate lives in New Zealand so has limited resources over there.

This information will enable us to decide the next course of action.

Thanks again,

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:49:46 am »
Helig,  the Conwy Archives has a burial index for graves with headstones and it is usually easy to find them because they are listed alphabetically.
If you want anything found just post it on here and I can have a look for you when I next go to the Archives.

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Hugo,

Many thanks for your offer to search for the grave in the archives. I will take you up on that and post a request on this forum.

Helig.