Author Topic: Margaret Anne Pearl Hughes  (Read 38871 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Margaret Anne Pearl Hughes
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:19 pm »
It's getting a bit complicated with all these Owen's but your Edward's father Lewis Owen  was from Gyffin, which is just outside Conwy. 
Info about Gyffin can be located in the Conwy Archives but if you have any further info on Robert Hughes post it on here and we'll see what we can do.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2014, 09:55:06 pm »
Hi Hugo,
I have just received a scan of the marriage cert  of robert hughes and ann owens
he was resident in Bolton Lancashire on the marriage certificate, and his father was also a robert hughes, also a stonemason.  and it appears to have been witnessed by a jane hughes,  and a richard Ella.

so i will start to see what come up from those clues re  Robert hughes bc1836
over the next couple of days.

your ladies are really lovely at the archives, lovely letter they sent me with the scan, and the certificate is in the post.

get back to you when i find anything more.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
I'm glad that the Archives could help you there, so good luck with your searches.
In the 1841 Census I think they put the Parish down rather than the town or village so you may come across a few Robert Hughes' with a father of the same name.
I'm not sure about the 1851 Census as to what info is supplied but by 1861 you know that Robert has flown the nest and is in Bolton.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:26 am »
just adding this if anyone else ever comes looking for this family line of Hughes as i have still not got any further connections to roberts children (margaret pearl hughes aunts and uncles) mostly born Llandudno  as yet.

its looking very likely but not as yet 100% sure  :)

robert hughes b1835 (whom lived  in baron hill, llandudno) was born aberffraw which i discover has the sub district of Llangefni. baptismal recs below;

his parents - robert hughes b1806  anglesey, married to Jane jones b1811 anglesey, 
marriage in aberffraw 1828

1841 census  aberffrow sub district Llangefni
robert and jane hughes with children

Name    Age
Robert Hughes    35 father
Jane Hughes       30 mother
Richard Hughes    11
Elizabeth Hughes 9
Robert Hughes    6
David Hughes    4
John Hughes    4 Mo

England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 about Robert Hughes
Name:    Robert Hughes
Birth Date:    16 Feb 1835
Birth Place:    Aberffraw, Anglesey, Wales
Event Type:    Baptism
Father:    Robert Hughes
Mother:    Jane Jones
Baptism Date:    12 Apr 1835
Baptism Place:    Llangristiolus, Anglesey, Wales
Denomination:    Independent
Piece Title:    Piece 4003: Llangristiolus, Paradwys Chapel (Independent), 1785-1791, 1829-1837

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »
Aberffraw is a beautiful seaside village which hundreds of years ago was the main residence of the Princes of Wales.  It's a place where I've enjoyed many walks in the past.
Paradwys Chapel was near Llangristiolus but I think that it has been demolished now.  There was a large Chapel in the middle of Aberffraw but it has closed and has now  been converted into apartments.  Another old Church lies in a unique location in a bay by Aberffraw's headland.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2014, 11:13:41 pm »
hugo,
you are a gold mine of info , and it is an interesting chapel pic on the bay.
and you give me the geographical's that make things fall into place for me. ie llangristiolus, now makes sense.

i so enjoy your photos and (& reading of your walks, that you have made elsewhere on this forum).

so would be it be too ignorant to ask which princes of wales? im off to google and see what they come up with. (just the Tudors of Mon reference that margaret ann pearl used to tell me about as a child).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »
Thanks Karen,  that little Church is quite old and very simple inside and is an island for most of the tide. Here are a couple of pics from inside it.
If you look in the 1851 Census you might see a house name for Robert Hughes ( Snr or Jnr) in Aberffraw and if you do then that house might still be there as a lot of the property in the village is quite old.
There were many  Welsh Princes that lived in Aberffraw including the Llewelyns and they lived there until Llewelyn the Last died in 1282. Llewelyn had Palaces all over North Wales but Aberffraw was considered the main residence.  It is believed that the building was made of wood as no evidence of it now remains but it housed the Welsh Parliament too.
The Tudors of Mon that Margaret referred to were from Pen Y Mynydd in Anglesey I believe and I've copied this from Google:-
The Tudor dynasty or House of Tudor was a royal house of Welsh origin,[1] descended from Rhys ap Tewdwr, the last "king of the Britons," which ruled the Kingdom of England and its realms, including their ancestral Wales and the Lordship of Ireland, later the Kingdom of Ireland, from 1485 until 1603. Its first monarch was Henry VII, a descendant through his mother of a legitimised branch of the English royal House of Lancaster. The Tudor family rose to power in the wake of the Wars of the Roses, which left the House of Lancaster, to which the Tudors were aligned, extinct.

Henry Tudor was able to establish himself as a candidate not only for traditional Lancastrian supporters, but also for the discontented supporters of their rival House of York, and he rose to capture the throne in battle, becoming Henry VII. His victory was reinforced by his marriage to Elizabeth of York, symbolically uniting the former warring factions under a new dynasty. The Tudors extended their power beyond modern England, achieving the full union of England and the Principality of Wales in 1542 (Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2014, 02:36:43 pm »
thanks pnce agan for the info,

i have looked at the 1851 census of robert hughes and jane whom is from bodern if its the correct family and the address in Aberffraw seems to be Pant y Caw/law/baw bit difficult to read.
but all this still needs confirming.

meanwhile i have gotten a breakthrough on margaret ann pearls  aunt Margaret ellen Hughes sibling of Ishmael hughes,  and daughter of Robert & hughes ann owens 1835  of baron hill.

Margaret Ellen b 1873 Liverpool (lived Llandudno).  Married a Robert J Williams whom had a grocers shop and whom died in 1905  i still have to check up on these with records, of the where

they had three children, edward rees williams 1898 Newton montgomeryshire.
robert williams b1900 caernarvonshire and apparently later was a coach driver in Llandudno
and richard glynne williams (known as Glynne) b 1906 Llandudno, married in Llandudno 1932 to Annie Gertrude williams.

on the death of margarets husband she remarried a samuel roberts and had a child gwyneth edna roberts b1910

So now i have a start in chasing up these bits and pieces as well. when i have a bit of time to do so.

i must take a photo of the mountains surrounding me to post to you, on the top of the hill opposite me at the moment, is the old remains  of mine workings eqipment for the pulleys,  and there are a few old forges to be seen, as this area the Vallespir, was also a big mining place in catalonia, in its day.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »
Thanks Karen,  I am unable to trace the cottage called  Pant y Caw/law/baw as they each have different meanings in English.
When I search for houses I tend to make a note of the names of two or three houses before and after the one I'm looking for.    I'm tied up for a while or otherwise I'd go to the Library and look up the 1851 Census for Robert and Jane Hughes of Aberffraw.
If you can find 3 house names before and after your relation's house then  I'll have a look when I'm next in the area.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:42 pm »
Hi Hugo,

there is no rush or need to go looking for things, i just enjoy sharing my finds and if they end up being any use to anyone else as well at some point all the better :).

i have tried to decipher the previous house names, on the census but again i am not clear on the curly writing if its a C or L :

i have attached the 1851 census  (it is entry no34 that im trying to work out)  and i will go and look at the page that follows  to see if i can work out the names.

entries as i can make out are:- 29&30 is Ty'r gwydd,    31 looks like pant y barr,     32 Clegir,
33 ??? (i can't read it well enough to decipher to  guess at the Welsh)

and the one i am looking is 34,  as already discussed.  which is similar to no 31.  but looks less like a b  than that one. 

have a good week. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
I had a look at the 1851 Census and turned over each page on the record and now believe that the house was not in Aberffraw.    At the top left of the Census form is the Parish name of Trewalchmai and in the first page it gives you the area covered by the Census and that is north of Aberffraw in the area to the west of Gwalchmai.
It didn't help me though because I've still got no idea of where the actual house was.   Sorry about that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2019, 03:41:17 pm »
I was having a walk on the Great Orme today and went past Baron Hill and took this photo of the house from the back garden.  It looks like the place is now holiday homes called Ty Bach and Ty Mawr

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2019, 05:00:42 pm »
Thanks Hugo ,interesting to see and hear.
I was up on the Gt Orme earlier this year, visited the graves at st Tudnos.
flying visit with my Daughter. I am now back living in Merseyside. so maybe i can take up the reigns and start looking into the hughes sibs, of Robert and Anne Hughes Once again.  but as you well know, Hughes are abundant!! I still havn't found when Ann and Robert moved from this house, or where they died. When the house was sold and/or if /when son william moved out post WW1 and prior to 1939 i believe.

wishing you all the best for xmas

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2021, 08:26:16 pm »
FYI   i have found Anne Hughes née Owen   death from an obituary, (and now they seem to have the Llandudno parish recs, on ancestry, under llandinorwic...???? ).

reference to her demise in “Y Cymro” 7.4.1915. p. 14. Col.2
Heading “Geni, Priodi a Marw) (i.e. B.M.D)
scroll down to “Marwolaethau” (Obituaries/Deaths)
“Hughes - Mawrth 25 yn 75 oed Mrs Ann Hughes priod Mr Robert Hughes Baron Hill.”  
(March 25 aged 75, Mrs. A H wife of Mr. RH Baron Hill).

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3445825/3445839

no idea where buried,  or cremated as yet.  and still no trace of Robert Hughes Death but i presume,  in 1915  they were both still living in  Baron Hill. well by next January, i should be able to find out whom resided there, in 1921  :)

Hope everyone has a better year than the last.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2021, 11:11:57 am »
Karen, that was a good find of yours so presumably in 1915 Robert Hughes was still living in Baron Hill.     I don't know if you have ever seen Baron Hill but it is in St Beuno's Road and the road is very narrow but has a very tight bend on it just where Baron Hill is.   Many vehicles seem to have hit the garden wall there
Normally someone living on the Great Orme would be buried in St Tudno's Cemetery.     There are two cemeteries there, one is in the Church grounds surrounded by a wall and the other and newer one is the Council owned one.

The Conwy Archives has a list of graves with headstones for the old Church of St Tudno and they may also have a list of people buried in the later Council owned cemetery.      At the moment the Archives are closed to the public but people may still be working there who can advise you one way or another.
I think most people were buried in those days and cremations came much later around here