Author Topic: The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno  (Read 11805 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
I have recently received a birth certificate for a member of my family dated 1924, the address for the birth is The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Marine Drive, Llandudno. Has anyone any information or links to old photographs of this building. Thanks for any help, Meleri

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:55:41 pm »
If my memory serves me right this was the Lodge belonging to the Old Railway Convalescent Home at the start of Llys Helig Drive.    In later years it was called Abbey Lodge but in recent years has been demolished to make way for a £ 1 million plus house.
I believe that Dave the Administrator on this forum has taken a photo of the property before it was demolished and there have also been photos on here of the new build that has replaced it.

I think a photo of Abbey Lodge as it was called then was posted as a question on the quiz section but I can't find that either.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:13 pm »
Thanks very much for those two  links of the new house, they were both taken after the old property was demolished.    I think that Dave or someone else posted a photo of the old property of Abbey Lodge as a question on the Three Towns Quiz but I can't find that one.
I'm sure that we have a photo on the forum somewhere of the old house but I've tried to find it but can't.   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
It might not be under that name, of course. I'll keep looking.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
Meleri, a lot of that link relates to the Old Bishop's Palace that was built about 1300 but scroll down to Plate 14 ( I think)  and you will see photos of the inside as well as the outside of Abbey Lodge ( previously called by other names )

Offline sam

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
It was called Tudor Lodge in the 80's - used to pass it regularly as my family worked at the Old Abbey and we'd go and play in the grounds as kids.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
The image in question:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
Thanks again Ian for posting a photo of the old Abbey Lodge.     $good$

Offline Meleri

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:16:05 pm »
Wow!

I never expected such an excellent response. Thank you Hugo, Ian & Sam. It has been a puzzle as to why my Mum was born at the Lodge in the first place. Reading through the information on the links given I thought I had cracked it, as the grounds were owned by the Bishop's of Bangor and my Great Grandparents on the 1911 Census, worked for the then Bishop of Bangor as Housekeeper & Gardener in Bangor. Then I read on to discover the land was sold and The Lodge built in 1894 and rented to The Mostyn Estate, so bang goes that theory. As my Great Grandfather worked all his life as a Gardener in various large properties between Bangor & Llandudno, would I be right in assuming he could have been the gardener for The Abbey Railway Convalescent Home. If so my Grandmother could have gone to her parents for the birth ??
When I first saw the address I thought it would have been a lodge to the Gogarth Abbey/Penmorfa so I'm so pleased you have put me on the right track.

Special thanks to Hugo for the informative link to not only photographs of the outside, but the inside too.

Meleri   $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:59:04 pm »
Thanks Meleri,  you are very welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed the link.  In fact that was the first time that I had seen any photos of the inside of Abbey Lodge.
Abbey Lodge was situated at the beginning of a private drive to the former Railway Convalescent home and that large building has had a variety of uses over the years.  Your G Grandfather may well have been a gardener there because the garden is very large and was always well maintained.
If I come across anything else that may be of interest to you then I'll post it on here.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »
Thank Hugo that's very kind of you,

Meleri  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:17:57 pm »
This is the Abbey Hotel in the 1920's and Abbey Lodge would have been to the right of the hotel and just out of sight.      That is what the building looked like to your G Grandparents.