Author Topic: Bargains  (Read 60905 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Bargains
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
I thought I'd start this thread to let everyone know of any bargains in local shops or online.

Today I bought a Draper work bench for just £9.99 as it was half price in Bevans, in Colwyn Bay, it comes in a small box and took around 15 mins to assemble, it's not the strongest but good for a tenner D)

do you know of any good bargain prices?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

Re: Bargains
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »
Argos have always got good bargains going.  Pick up a Catalogue and have a look next time you need something.  You can also order on line and save the cost of travel and parking!    $uk

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:10 am »
I have the Argos book for reference but almost every time you can find items at a better price, their problem is in having to produce a book with prices in it in advance. I yesterday found a Phillips shaver for £35 in Asda, when I got home in the Argos book it was £59  :o  annoyingly it was only £24 at Amazon  :rage:  L0L

my best recent bargain was a Bosch drill for £89.99 last weekend in B & Q the price has now gone up by a tenner but it's still a bargain for a cordless 18v lithium iron battery drill, comes with 2 batteries too yet oddly the model with only one battery costs around £163 in the same store!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11227751&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=20&fh_eds=%3fY&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9392074%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9772015%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1290843449158&isSearch=false
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:41:15 am by Merddin Emrys »

Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:46:36 am »
Bound to be some price differentials but if you check on line you get the latest deals.  That is one reason why they have so many supplements in the papers so they can adjust prices on a regular basis.

Although they price in advance they do know their buying and operating costs so price accordingly.    >>>

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 09:04:07 am »
well to be fair I've just looked up my shaver and Argos have reduced it to £36.59 so I saved £1.59 at Asda  <:<:<:<

L0L  still cheapest at Amazon I could have saved a tenner  ¢¢##  L0L

I will check on the Argos website in future though  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:05 am »
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay; I've gotten most of my camera stuff from there and mobile phones. I saved a hundred quid or more when I bought my current phone, a Nokia N8, on there. Someone had bought one, decided they didn't need it and stuck it straight on ebay.

I always check their feedback rating (must be at least 99%, and at least 100 ratings) and then, perhaps more importantly, look at the photo of the item. If I see a photo taken of the phone, box and accessories all laid out neatly on a surface, then I know it's going to be absolutely fine. If it's a crooked or blurred photo of just the phone or just a standard promotional pic, then I steer clear. I've never gone wrong following that guide.

Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:03:20 am »
A few days ago I bought a brand new Links of London charm bracelet on eBay.  All the bits and pieces in the photograph, braclet, box, cleaning instructions and bag - the seller had almost 700 feedback with 100% positive.   Cost including shipping £47.00 against a shop price of over £100.  Item was advertised as "Links of London" so was presumed to be genuine.

When it arrived a close inspection revealed that it was a fake!   Not hallmarked and wrong font on the logo, plus other matters.

After making a complaint to the seller and to eBay it resulted in me getting a full refund and the seller telling me to keep the item without charge.  Maybe it was my suggestion of the Trading Standards Department that got that result!

I am an experienced eBay seller myself with over 1300 positive Feedbacks  and am surprised that eBay themselves allow such blatant use of their system to sell fake items.  This is the first time I have been caught out when buying and just illustrates that one has to be very careful.  I suppose the old saying rings true, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!"

Caveat emptor!    ¢¢##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:14 am »
A friend of mine collects the Pandora Charms and she has had problems with fake ones on Ebay.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:19:52 am »
Lots of discount voucher / codes here although none of it seems to be stuff that I need!

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/petrolprices-xmas-vouchers/?em=rup071210&utm_source=fubra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petrol-xmas10

sent to me from Petrolprices.com  which is very handy for telling me the cheapest petrol prices (almost always Asda)
and is'nt the petrol shooting up in price again!  :rage:

Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:51 am »
The price of diesel has certainly been hiked up in the past few days.  Normally it is 1 or 2 pence above the price of petrol but yesterday at Tesco it was 4 pence above!!    Bloody robbers!   )*)&

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »
Talking about diesel being dearer that petrol, many years ago and for very,very many years, diesel was always around half the price of petrol. We were always told that the reason for that was because petrol had all sorts of other valuable stuff in in, like tar for making soap products etc. So at the refineries they took all these valuable ingredients out and diesel was what was left at the end. If this is correct, how come the two prices are now more or less the same?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »
This is the first time I have been caught out when buying and just illustrates that one has to be very careful.

"Links of London"

Did it come from a couple of brothers in Peckham?  L0L

Yorkie

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:59:01 pm »
No - came from a couple of Sisters in Southall!    :P

Offline Trojan

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »
No - came from a couple of Sisters in Southall!    :P

Reminds me of the underwear I ordered from Seven Sisters in North London.  :D

Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 07:31:39 pm »
Just a stones throw from the Emirates Stadium.  Do you know why it was called Seven Sisters?   D)