Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 43491 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »
Currently reading Antony Beevor's excellent history of the Second World War. Highly recommended.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »
I've just started "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins.  Also just finished Travels on my Elephant by Mark Shand and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2015, 07:59:05 am »
The Girl On the Train has attracted some pretty favourable reviews.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:10 pm »
 $thanx$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2015, 09:02:34 am »
Just finished 'The Taxidermist's Daughter' by Kate Mosse loaned to me by a friend. It had been shortlisted for a National Book Award..................not sure about it really, very short chapters and rather too many characters. I kept having to refer back to see who was who.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2015, 10:12:38 am »
I am reading Sun, Snow and Stars by Michael Lutscher. It is the story of how winter tourism got established in the Alps. It concentrates mostly on St Moritz and starts with how in the beginning it was tuberculosis patients who travelled there for the winter climate soon to be followed by winter sports enthusiasts.
There are some wonderful pictures in it and this is the attractive front cover.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2015, 10:53:28 am »
Just finished reading the John Cleese autobiography, quite enjoyed it as a fan of the pythons.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
I wasn't at all sure about it.  It was obviously written with an eye to performance, as it were, but I'd just finished Lee Mack's, which I found refreshingly open and honest compared with Cleese's.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:01 am »
Must admit it left me a bit bored by the end, somehow never got to the real Cleese, I'm pretty sure the book was written with an eye on the sequel.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »
I suspect so. Yes - the 'real' Cleese was conspicuously missing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:20 am »
Wondering if anyone has read this Llandudno themed novel? Shades of Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth novels but certainly sounds like fun, I've bought it for the Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOAT-GULL-GIRL-Llandudno-Mystery-ebook/dp/B076VGYDDW/

"The alternate Llandudno is no ordinary seaside town its Victorian ancestry has left behind a dark and sinister underworld where corruption is rife and murder common place. Rikki Moran part-time librarian, part-time private investigator, and his faithful partner Sally-Ann become embroiled in a complex web of deceit after the slaying and brutal murder of a local burlesque dancer and subsequent mysterious death of her husband, a notable local Ornithologist. The only eye witness is an elderly retired Kashmiri Goat Keeper, resident at the Great Orme Hospice. As environmental catastrophe looms in the local Gull population, some extraordinary events at the Llandudno Clandestine Cake Club dovetail to leave Rikki and Sally-Ann fighting for their lives. Rikki must overcome the ghosts of his past in order to survive, whilst grappling with an unforeseen wild eyed romantic entanglement. In the end Llandudno will never be the same again."

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2018, 10:01:24 am »
A strange subject for a Nordic writer ?  As you say sounds like fun, let us know if it's worth reading.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2018, 05:56:15 pm »
Not reading through as it is more of an encyclopedia in format but something a brother got me for Christmas that I've dipped into a couple of times:  Companion To Traditional Irish Music (second edition).

On localish things. A friend gave mum Pigeon by Alys Conran: http://www.walesartsreview.org/novel-pigeon-by-alys-conran/
I gather mum is finding it a little heavy going but intends to read it through.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »
Just finished Secret Llandudno by John Lawson-Reay and also the Biography of the Travelling Wilburys.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline WarnerRen

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:38 am »
I'm currently half way through the third book of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It's amazing! Any other Sanderson fans in here?