Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193377 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #435 on: November 19, 2016, 11:53:28 pm »
Thank you fester for posting some stills for" facebook averse" dinasaurs like me.

I have cheekily been driven up the driveway in a friends car for a quick shufti some years ago.
I guess that you had a meal there ? That would have enabled you to have a good look around!

We stayed there for 2 nights, it was excellent as always.
I don't think there's a problem if non residents walk through the grounds, take pictures etc.  There's nothing to stop anyone doing that.
In fact, if people don't do that, this wonderful castle would never be seen at all!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #436 on: December 01, 2016, 06:24:44 pm »
Nice atmosphere in Manchester with the Christmas markets.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2016, 04:50:35 pm »
We had a nice walk in Anglesey today and on the way back stopped to admire the view across the straights.  The snow on the mountains has nearly gone but the conditions up there would still be icy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2017, 10:59:42 am »
On Wednesday we went to Aberdaron to catch a boat to Bardsey Island and after the trip we had a look around this pretty village and then we all enjoyed a meal of fish and chips in the Ty Newydd Hotel.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #439 on: June 19, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »
Another beautiful day and another boat ride for us, but this time from Beaumaris to Puffin Island in a boat aptly called The Beast. 
The Beast (a Ribcraft 9.0) is possibly the biggest fastest Rib on the Menai Strait. She is a 9m Ribcraft powered by twin Evinrude G2 outboards which produce 500hp!
Jason, the skipper was very safety conscious and throughout the duration of the ride gave us a very informative running commentary of the area and the wildlife.  He started off giving us a very exhilarating ride in the middle of the straits so you'll have to excuse the photos as I was holding on tightly as he did some very sharp turns in the water reaching speeds of 50mph at times
We then went along the straits and  as we approached Puffin Island we went in quite close and were able to see the many Seals and thousands of different types of seabirds.
We spent some time looking at the wildlife but sadly it was time to head back to Beaumaris.    A nice latte in a promenade cafe finished off what was an excellent day for us and I would have no hesitation recommending this trip to anyone who was so interested.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #440 on: June 19, 2017, 05:13:52 pm »
Beaumaris to Puffin Island boat trip

Offline Hugo

« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2017, 02:24:37 pm »
I can't remember how long it has been since I last visited Harlech but know that it was many, many years ago.    The castle is extremely impressive and the coastal and mountainous panorama views from it are breathtaking.
The castle cafe looked good too and we'll probably stop there next time but yesterday we had only come to see the castle and do the Branwen walk in the area.

Offline hollins

« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:02 pm »
Some friends of ours stayed recently in one of those apartments by the cafe and castle.
They went a couple of times in the evening when there was a tapas night on and they really enjoyed it.
Fabulous views from up there I imagine.
Glad you enjoyed your day out Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:12 am »
Next time we go then I'm sure that we'll go to the cafe as it looked so clean and inviting.   We noticed from the top of the castle walls that the roof of the cafe is covered in turf or succulent plants  and the views from the outside area were incredible

Offline Hugo

« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2017, 06:24:09 pm »
I had a pleasant short walk along the Belgian Promenade in Menai Bridge today.   The scenery around that area is beautiful and that suspension bridge is always impressive.
Mrs H and I enjoyed a delicious ice cream from the kiosk opposite Dylan's and sad on a bench opposite the pier to finish it off then we returned back to the car park via the street leading up to Tafarn Y Bont

Offline hollins

« Reply #445 on: August 06, 2017, 07:02:00 am »
This will be interesting to visit. Opening for August. I didn't realise it was now run by a trust.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-40831258

Offline Hugo

« Reply #446 on: June 22, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »
I had a quick walk around the small nature reserve in Rhuddlan yesterday and it was so relaxing sitting by the large pond.   There were a number of birds on the pond and a lady told me that she had seen a terrapin in the water there recently.    Apparently Otters do go there too but you have to be lucky to see them

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: June 26, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
This will be interesting to visit. Opening for August. I didn't realise it was now run by a trust.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-40831258
The Trust were able to obtain grants to buy the Castle a few weeks ago. Now the hard work in restoring it begins!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2018, 10:28:09 am »
I drove to Anglesey yesterday and had a look around Red Wharf Bay then on to Moelfre.    The Ship Inn in Red Wharf Bay was quite busy but the Boat House near to it was absolutely packed,  I've heard some nice reports about the place so I might give it a try when it's quieter.
The pretty village of Moelfre was busy too and after walking to the Lifeboat Station we ended up having a nice ice cream from the kiosk by the car park.
There is a nice cafe across the road called Ann's Pantry ( I think ) but we'll go back there when it's not too busy

Offline hollins

« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
Glad to see the little knitting wool shop is still there.
I have been enjoying the Royal Welsh Show today.