Author Topic: Floor Tiles  (Read 3756 times)

craigollerton

Floor Tiles
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
Wondering if I can pick anyones brains. Could anyone tell me the best way to bring back the shine out of floor tiles. I have some old floor tiles along the hallway which are quite dingy but a nice feature of the house, I want to clean them right back which is proving more difficult than it sounds with jif, bleach, steam cleaning, trying everything. They appear to have ingressed discolouration and I want to descale the surface. I think what I need something more corrosive? Once done, I then want to shine them back up.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers, Craig.

Offline Yorkie

Re: Floor Tiles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:47 pm »
Hire a floor sander.  Quick easy, and revarnish or polish after.  Instructions available at DIY Doctor maybe.   Or somewhere on Google.

££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
Sander is ok if they're wood, as in parquet flooring, make a right mess of ceramic tiles !
Could try brick cleaner but you may dissolve the grout/ mortar along with the muck on the tiles.

craigollerton

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:36 pm »
Sander is ok if they're wood, as in parquet flooring, make a right mess of ceramic tiles !
Could try brick cleaner but you may dissolve the grout/ mortar along with the muck on the tiles.

Thanks Mike, yes they're ceramic so will try the brick cleaner, I should have mentioned that. Will the brick cleaner bring out a shine, or will I need to use a sealant/regrout of some kind after?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:57 am »
Hi Craig,       Just a warning, some cleaners can ruin the grout and loosen the bond, I checked on google, "cleaning victorian tiles" some products and advice there.      ££$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
Ah ceramic eh?  Dif 'em all up matey, and start again.  Or if  the space is available you can always "tile over tile".  Thats is put a new layer of tiles over the old ones.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero