Author Topic: Smith Family Llandudno  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Smith Family Llandudno
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »
Wondering if some of you Llandudno Lads can help me! I have been researching my family tree and my Grandmother's brother Thomas (Tommy) Smith born 1900 in Conway, lived in Llandudno around 1940/50/60's. He married Stella ? and they had a son Anthony born about 1937. I know very little about Tommy after he left Conway I'm sad to say and would be most grateful if anyone has any information about them.

Meleri

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Smith Family Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »
There is a Thomas Smith age 11 in the 1911 census living at 17 Seaview Terrace Conwy, he has one sister at that time  named Bessie.
Also a few Smiths in the 1929 Directory

Offline Meleri

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »
Thanks for your response suepp. Yes that is the same Thomas Smith you have mentioned. His father was also called Thomas and his mother Mary Ann, she used to sell fish from a barrow on the quay and around Conway Town. When I first started using this site I found a photograph of her on here, selling fish outside Dunphy's at the honey fair.
It was after he left Conway and moved to Llandudno when he was in his 30/40/50s I was looking for. I have had one response from another site and they thought he had worked as a coal man and lived on West Shore, but I'm still not sure if that was him.
I will have a look at the 1929 directory, thanks for mentioning that it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Meleri

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »
Meleri,   I had a nice chat today with someone who has been helping me with some research and he can remember Tommy Smith very well.
Tommy Smith he said was a coal merchant but he also delivered sand and gravel and actually delivered sand and gravel to his father.   He described Tommy as a jovial person who was well liked by those that met him.
He remembers Tommy living in Bryniau Road Llandudno and described his house as being the third property on the left after you have turned left from Trinity Avenue and head towards Maesdu Bridge.
Hope this info helps in your search

Offline Meleri

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »
Thanks Hugo and to the person you spoke to, for that information and it's good to hear Tommy was well thought of. Since I last posted on this subject I found Tommy's recruitment papers to the RWF in 1915. He told them he was 19 years when in fact he was 15. He ran away with his friend Llewelyn who was also under age and they trained for a month and just before mobilisation Llewelyn's age was discovered and he was packed off home. Tommy went on to serve in France engaging in various actions on the Western Front for 11 months before it was discovered he too was under age and he was sent home. He was awarded the 1915 Star, British War and Victory medals. Six months later the division he served in were all killed at Mametz Wood in the Battle of Albert. Tommy was 91 when he passed away but if it hadn't been for a sharp eyed official it could have been a very different story.  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »
Thanks Meleri and I'll pass on your thanks to my friend.  He looks at the forum, although he doesn't post things on it but he does like to help people as I've found out myself.
I'm sure he has other stories too but one he was telling me about was a reception that was held in Ffordd Dewi and they were having a few drinks when Tommy came past in his lorry and he stopped and then had  a drink or two with the other guests.
If Tommy died C1991  his obituary may be in the Llandudno Advertiser or The North Wales Weekly News and the Conwy Archives may have copies of these papers

Offline Meleri

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:28:17 pm »
Thanks again Hugo, I think Tommy died in December 1991 at Llandudno Hospital. I don't know why I didn't think to look in the Llandudno Archive for an announcement, but will try to get there soon  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »
I was in the Archives this afternoon to look for something and I just had a look at the Llandudno Street Index ( it hasn't got the year on it ) but Mrs S Smith was listed at South Sea Bryniau Road  Llandudno.       This is now No71 but doesn't have the name on it.     It's the double fronted grey property in the centre of the photo.
I did look at the December issues of the 1991 Llandudno Advertiser but Tommy's name wasn't listed but it could have been listed in January especially if Tommy died towards the end of December but due to lack of time I didn't look at the January issues.
Tommy's name wasn't on the St Tudno's burial index either but if he was buried in the Council run Cemetries either at St Tudno's or Llanrhos then they may not have those records.
The Crematorium at Colwyn Bay does have records though of all the Council run graves in the area whether they have the headstones or not.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:02 pm »
That's so kind of you Hugo, thanks for the Photograph and research at the Archive. I wonder why Stella's name is listed and not Tommy's ? I will contact the Crematorium and see if they can help me.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:58:30 pm »
As I was in the Archives today I had a look at the 1992 January editions of the Llandudno Advertiser but there was no mention of Tommy in the obituary notices.   

Offline Meleri

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:01:29 pm »
Thanks Hugo that was very kind of you. I had hoped to go to the archive myself but both Mr M and I haven't been too good.
I had a look on the Crematorium web-site for details to see if they would look for me in their records, but they charge £30 per search which I think unreasonable.
What I have found out is Tommy wasn't living in Llandudno when he passed away, but staying with a relative in Morfa, Conwy. Unfortunately I can't ask the relative as she too has passed away.
It looks as if I will have to look through The Weekly News archive when I am up to it. I wish they would put it on-line.

Meleri   $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »
You are very welcome Meleri and I hope that you and your hubby feel better soon.    I would have looked up the NWWN  when I was there but I didn't have the time but I'll look again next time I'm there.
That £30.00 for a search is unreasonable for a search especially when you may be able to get the info from the Archives for free.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:03 pm »
I was in the Archives again today so I had a look at the NWWN and found the obituary for Tommy Smith in the 27th December edition.
Tommy was buried with his wife Stella in Section  IV    Plot 17.
It was easy to find when I went up to St Tudno's Church and these directions may help you if you go up there.
From the half way tram station drive to the Church and stop at the first gate in the new Cemetery.  Once you go in the Cemetery immediately turn left and go along the fence until you come to the path. Turn right and the grave is on your left about 5 graves down and is next to the path.
In the photos, Tommy's grave is the one with the white chippings

Offline Meleri

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »
I can't thank you enough Hugo and to go to all the trouble of finding the grave and take photographs as well, you really are a true gent.
The obituary notice has given me quite a bit more information to work on as well. I couldn't find the information on the BMD indexes for Stella and now I see why, as her first name was Elizabeth!
I have never been up to the Orme Cemetery but can see from the photographs the lovely views, so as soon as Mr M, I and the weather picks up we shall make a visit to pay our respects to Great Uncle Tommy, now that you have found him.

$thanx$ Meleri

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
You are very welcome Meleri and I hope that you and your hubby feel better soon.