Author Topic: World Events  (Read 22392 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: World Events
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2017, 09:29:54 am »
We have a depressingly tribal response to disasters not in the UK.

More worryingly I think it's just non white countries that don't any attention.
We are sympathetic when it's Australia, U.S.A, or pretty much anywhere else in Europe.
Anything happens in Africa or the Middle East it isn't mentioned. Why is that?
That's a truly ridiculous & deluded thing to say. How many hundreds of millions have been donated by the British people to famine relief/natural disasters etc in Africa, for starters?  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2017, 11:13:24 am »

We are sympathetic when it's Australia, U.S.A, or pretty much anywhere else in Europe.
That's a truly ridiculous & deluded thing to say. How many hundreds of millions have been donated by the British people to famine relief/natural disasters etc in Africa, for starters?  &shake&

That's not really the point B2R was making, though. The media see and report deaths in different ways: I think it's largely regulated by distance, hence we view fatal flooding in China quite differently from fatal flooding in the Lake District. But there's clear evidence that we 'care' more about deaths in the UK, followed by deaths in close European countries, then deaths in the USA, New Zealand and Australia, then deaths in the Asian and Pacific countries and finally deaths in Africa. In other words, how much footage and space is given over to deaths in the media is determined  by proximity, then by race.

It's so obvious comics use jokes which feature lines about terrible disasters, but fortunately 'no British were there'.

Now you're right about the money donated by people for famine relief, but - again - the available evidence suggests the most money comes from the fewest people, and they seem largely to comprise white, middle-aged women and churchgoers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »
'Suffer the death of thy neighbour' Ian?
Not sure we have the stomach for that.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »
Ah; ever the Trekky, eh, F?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 12:27:24 am »
Ah; ever the Trekky, eh, F?
Indeed, but many lines from our favourite SciFi do bear being given a run out in real life, yes?
Powerful stuff was woven into those scripts.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:21 am »
They did have some outstanding writers on that show.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 09:30:15 am »
That's not really the point B2R was making, though. The media see and report deaths in different ways: I think it's largely regulated by distance, hence we view fatal flooding in China quite differently from fatal flooding in the Lake District. But there's clear evidence that we 'care' more about deaths in the UK, followed by deaths in close European countries, then deaths in the USA, New Zealand and Australia, then deaths in the Asian and Pacific countries and finally deaths in Africa. In other words, how much footage and space is given over to deaths in the media is determined  by proximity, then by race.
So...why is the UK singled out for particular criticism by B2R, when we are no different to any other country in the world, in that respect?

Do you imagine people in China are concerned about fatalities caused by flooding in the Lake District, for example?  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2017, 09:51:57 am »
So...why is the UK singled out for particular criticism by B2R, when we are no different to any other country in the world, in that respect?

Do you imagine people in China are concerned about fatalities caused by flooding in the Lake District, for example?  :laugh:  :laugh:

Going round in circles here! That was my point exactly Dave when I initially said why would Saudi Arabia give a monkeys about 17 dead people in Manchester when the middle east is being obliterated almost daily!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2017, 10:02:19 am »

It's so obvious comics use jokes which feature lines about terrible disasters, but fortunately 'no British were there'.

Now you're right about the money donated by people for famine relief, but - again - the available evidence suggests the most money comes from the fewest people, and they seem largely to comprise white, middle-aged women and churchgoers.

Missing children is another example I can use - we all know about Madeline McCann it's been reported to the moon and back and that's because she's a white blonde girl.
If she was non white nobody here would be familiar with her.

I'm not saying it's anything the British public actively choose to do but newspapers obviously know what people care about and what people care about sells papers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theres-an-epidemic-of-missing-children-of-colour-who-arent-photogenic-enough-to-find-a6989666.html

"Currently in the UK, Fatima Olodo is missing. So are Lan Pham, Jasvinder Kaur, Reneisha Brown, Ramla Malo, Gina Lander, Aaya Al-Saedi Aqueel Abdulwahi, Tiana Medaini, Fatima Mohamed-Ali, Safia Abdi, and Payera Begum. Elizabeth Chau remains missing since 1999, in a case that was linked to serial rapist, Andrzej Kunowski and has since been re-opened by the police"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
Mentioning McCann reminds me of another factor: she was from professional, white, middle-class parents. There are a number of factors about that case which support your argument, B2R, the most egregious of which was that the girl was left alone with two other very young children by their parents. Had that been a couple from Rhyl, there would - without a shadow of a doubt - have been a case conference launched by Social Services and the Police.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:50 pm »
Absolutely the press built the family up with such reverence initially that nobody would dare criticise the parents.
Lately I've noticed something of a backlash and more negative stories appearing. The old 'build them up to knock them down' routine that was also done with Princess Diana.

In fact Diana and McCann between them must surely hold some kind of record for most press coverage.
Even today the DFM ran another Princess Di story.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »
You are correct in what you say BTR but why on earth are you reading the DFM?     I thought that Ian was the only reader of that rag

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2017, 04:42:24 pm »
I just read it online. I enjoy the comments section the most

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2017, 07:18:26 pm »
You are correct in what you say BTR but why on earth are you reading the DFM?     I thought that Ian was the only reader of that rag

Are you trying to be insulting?  _))* _))* _))*

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »
It does not seem like 16 years since this tragedy.

9/11 anniversary
Today is the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.
2,997 people were killed and more than 6,000 were injured after hijacked passenger planes were flown into the Pentagon and the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre.