Author Topic: NEW T.V.  (Read 9145 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
NEW T.V.
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:55:16 am »
I need a new T.V. ...and I am very confused, had a look in Currys, plenty to choose from, some good prices etc. but they are changing by the day.
Smart T.V. ? 3D  ?   curved  ?  I am lost, just need a T.V. but don't want to be left behind....would like some advice from the experts, keep it simple please

Signed    Technophobe       ???     :roll:       $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: NEW T.V.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
I bought a new tv a few months back. I would certainly go for a Smart TV so you can access all the catch up services like Iplayer and 4OD. I have 3D but have never really used it.

As for brand, I recommend Samsung. Think this was the tv I got, very pleased indeed with it.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue48h6400-smart-3d-48-led-tv-22074703-pdt.html

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:56 pm »
But.... If you have SKY you will already have access to all the catch up services anyway.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »
True, but Smart tvs offer a whole load of other stuff. There are loads of Apps like BBC news, weather, youtube. You can wirelessly connect to your computer and stream movies through your tv, as well.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:41 pm »
Thanks Dave, That looks about what we want, with the added benefit of.......Dave how do I........... $thanx$

Hi B2R, We don't have Sky, at the moment, not sure if we will, still traveling a lot.      $thanx$

Question just came up, if I am on the TV, and OH on the computer, will it affect her?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:57 pm »
True, but Smart tvs offer a whole load of other stuff. There are loads of Apps like BBC news, weather, youtube. You can wirelessly connect to your computer and stream movies through your tv, as well.

4K OLED is the new standard in televisions.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:29 pm »
Gibbons in Conway Road, Colwyn Bay (by Lidl) have a sale on at present.  This is about the only non-chain TV/Radio/Video shop in the area.  I have always found them very helpful, reasonable and they will call out or talk you through any problems - more of a personal service than the chains if that is helpful.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
Question just came up, if I am on the TV, and OH on the computer, will it affect her?
It depends upon how good your Internet connection is, but if your OH is just browsing (as opposed to downloading etc), then there shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:02:16 pm »
We bought a new tv around 18 months ago on from Currys, it is a Samsung 40" smart 3D set, wonderful picture, the 3D works very well, the sound is great too, although we added a Samsung sound  bar which sounds great! We are not on Sky but have a Humax Freesat pvr. Good luck in whatever you get, by the way I can't really see the point of the curved tv's?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:15:15 pm »
Thank you ALL,
SDQ The 4k oled sounds good, but expensive,      Two people watching different programs, at the same time, ??
Cambrian...Will check out Gibbons  TA.
ME,   $thanx$
Dave  OH likes the Farm game, is that constantly downloading?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »
SDQ The 4k oled sounds good, but expensive

Also pretty pointless at the moment, as there's very little being made in 4K, and nothing being transmitted in it.

Two people watching different programs, at the same time

With a PVR (personal Video recorder) you can usually watch one programme whilst downloading another to watch later.

Samsung are currently best TV makers, followed by Sony.  In terms of 'smart' TVs, plenty to choose from and also several add-opn boxes that produce the same effects.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »
Thank you Ian, Taking it all in, it's all helping     $thanx$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »
With my PVR I can record two programmes at a time when needed whilst watching a third recording! Very handy for ITV programmes as if you delay the start you can fast forward through the adverts!  D)
It is a Which best buy as is the TV set itself! Also before buying a set check the reviews for sound quality as it can vary from one model to another even with the same manufacturer! Probably worth taking out a Which subscription before purchasing, very useful with so many products!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »
Good advice ME..... $thanx$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:19:11 pm »
SDQ The 4k oled sounds good, but expensive

Also pretty pointless at the moment, as there's very little being made in 4K, and nothing being transmitted in it.

[/quote]

He stated he didn't want to be left behind. Bearing in mind the lifespan of a television it would make perfect sense to purchase the highest spec he can afford even if it meant being an early adopter of 4K as it is only a matter of time before the channels will start appearing. Netflix are already streaming 4K and 4K BluRay is just around the corner.
Valar Morghulis