Author Topic: NEW T.V.  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: NEW T.V.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »
Blu Ray is already being phased out, and it seems that Netflix is the only 4K (albeit limited) provider. I suspect the main stream channels will be waiting a while before they take the plunge, having had their fingers burnt badly with 3D, so it'[s not really a case of not being left behind as of throwing good money at something for which there'll be little content for several years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:15:22 pm »
 SDQ/Ian,    I think the expense of the 4k, would be hard for me to justify, also I really am a technophobe, and like to keep it "simples"......But will be taking everything into consideration.
Again my thanks... $thanx$

Offline SteveH

Re: NEW T.V. /NEW iPOD
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 12:42:10 pm »
Hi, I'm back, Mrs S birthday next month, mentioned she would like an ipod, HELP please, she is not the technophobe I am, but it would be our first, we are on Microsoft, and it's for music, but some of them, I believe, do more.
Whats the best way to go please....
Looking on Google, at docking stations and speakers..will need the complete kit.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »
The chap at Argos is very knowledgeable, you will get a great deal, and it will help the value of my shares!
 D) D)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 03:56:06 pm »
Hi, I'm back, Mrs S birthday next month, mentioned she would like an ipod, HELP please, she is not the technophobe I am, but it would be our first, we are on Microsoft, and it's for music, but some of them, I believe, do more.
Whats the best way to go please....
Looking on Google, at docking stations and speakers..will need the complete kit.

Following the discontinuation of the Classic there are now just the three types of iPod.
The iPod shuffle is the entry level model at 2GB costing £40.
The iPod nano is larger in size with a colour screen and 16GB costing £129.
The iPod touch is larger again and is basically an iPhone without the phone, meaning it also has a 4" Retina touchscreen, 5mp iSight camera and can load apps. and games etc... It comes in three versions, 16GB - £159, 32GB - £199 or 64GB - £249.
They all come in a variety of colours.

The nano and touch both support Bluetooth so you have the option of wireless speakers if you so choose. Some docking stations have speakers built in if you prefer to go that way. There are a lot of accessories on the market and any reputable electrical store should be able to help/ advise you.  You can also recharge them via your computer which can also be used to buy and store the content via iTunes

Only you can decide which model to go for but if you're looking for the model that does the most it is obviously the iPod touch.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »
Thank you Yorkie/SDQ..
Very helpful, nice concise info, will hit the shops on Monday.... $thanx$ $thanx$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »
The classic - with its much larger capacity - is still available from various stores.  I'd get one quick, if I were you, as they won't be around for long, I suspect.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »
The classic - with its much larger capacity - is still available from various stores.  I'd get one quick, if I were you, as they won't be around for long, I suspect.

Hi Ian, That's confused me, I realise a lot of memory, but we were thinking of a touch 64GB with bigger screen, that we could use on a plane, can you expand on your advice please.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »
We have 3 classics - each with 160GB of memory, and we use them on a daily basis - in the car, around the house and so on. Ap=ple's just discontinued these, and the price has shot up on the open market from £200 to over £300.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »
Thanks for that, Ian,  back to the drawing board.. $thanx$