Author Topic: The Pearson Family 1930's  (Read 14442 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Pearson Family 1930's
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »
I called at the Archives again to see if I could find out any more info about Clara or Cynthia but couldn't find out any more.

The 1929 Llandudno Street Index showed Mr & Mrs L Curtis as running the "boarding house"
The 1939 Llandudno Street Index showed Mr T Pearson as being the proprietor so Leonard Curtis would have moved on by then.

There are no birth records for Llandudno at the Conwy Archives

I had a look at the Baptism Records for St Andrews Church from 1922 but could find no children being baptised for Leonard and Clara
By pure coincidence there was a Baptism for Eveline Hyacinth Curtis on 22nd May 1922 but her parents were Charles and Emma Curtis of St Leonards, Bentley Doncaster and Charles was a clerk by trade.

I couldn't ascertain who paid for the grave of Clara but the headstone was bought by Mr & Mrs T Pearson.   Graves have to settle before the headstones can be laid and this can take a few months but by then Leonard Curtis would have remarried.

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to find out anything about Cynthia and unless I have a chance meeting in town with Denis Pearson then I seem to have exhausted every option open to me and hope that someone else may have the info you are looking for.

I've no idea what happened for definite  between Leonard and Clara but from what I've read, if there was a child from the marriage then I would imagine that the Pearson family brought her up, but I could be wrong.

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 09:36:11 pm »
Leonard was hated by the Pearson family as he fathered a child with Edith in 1930.

Hyacinth is an incredible discovery! Charles Curtis is Leonard's brother. The confusing thing is, when searching for Hyacinth's birth record, she is shown as Evelyn Hyacinth Curtis, 1922, in Chester and her mother's maiden name is PEARSON!

I think Evelyn Hyacinth is CYNTHIA. I have ordered her birth certificate and I am desperate to see what it says!

Is she actually Leonard and Clara's? They were married late 1921 and she was born early 1922. Being a man of the church, perhaps he felt ashamed that he had fathered a child out of wedlock and so registered the birth in Chester. Why then baptise the child naming Charles and Emma as her parents?

Oh family secrets!

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »
Clara definitely had a child in her lifetime as her death certificate mentioned she had a c-section.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »
From what I have found out, I suspected something like that had happened to Leonard.      Clara probably got married in England because bride's normally got married in the town where they lived.
I don't know the exact date Clara married, but if Hyacynth was her child then Clara must have been well and truly pregnant when she married. You could be correct there and Hyacynth (or Cynthia) could have been adopted by Charles and Emma to save any embarrassment to Leonard and Clara

I've reread the obituary again and also notes I have made and will go to the Archives again to have a look at the Baptism records for St Beuno's and St Andrews (prior to 1922) but doubt if anything will be there.

I'll post any results on here next week.

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:08 pm »
Thank you ever so much for your help!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:12 pm »
You're very welcome and I hope you can find the answers you are looking for.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
Hyacinth is an incredible discovery! Charles Curtis is Leonard's brother. The confusing thing is, when searching for Hyacinth's birth record, she is shown as Evelyn Hyacinth Curtis, 1922, in Chester and her mother's maiden name is PEARSON!

I think Evelyn Hyacinth is CYNTHIA. I have ordered her birth certificate and I am desperate to see what it says!
Oh family secrets!

I would be very interested too as I've tried numerous times on different sites and Cynthia Curtis/ Pearson has not appeared on any.  On the other hand Eveline Hyacinth Curtis  has appeared quite easily.  That isn't definite prove that Cynthia didn't exist but the Birth Certificate should be very interesting and may explain a few things
I'll still go to the Archives though as I'm quite intrigued by it all.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »
I went to the Archives again today but couldn't find anything in the Baptism records for "Cynthia" 

In fact the Baptism Records for St Andrews start from 1922 and "Hyacynth" was the first entry No1  there.

The records for St Beuno's are from 1952 0nwards

I did have a look in the main Baptism Records for Llandudno which were up to 1917 just in case Clara had a baby prior to marrying Leonard but there were no entries recorded

I'm just hoping that the Birth Certificate for Eveline Hyacinth Curtis throws some light on this mystery, can't wait until you receive a copy of it

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
I have some fantastic news!

Evelyne Hyacinth Curtis, born 18/02/1922 to Leonard Curtis and Clarice Pearson, at a nursing home in Chester.

This must be Cynthia.

Why was she baptised as her Uncle Charles being her father? How strange.

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:09 pm »
Do you know how I would go about getting a copy of the Baptism record?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 01:36:42 pm »
Do you know how I would go about getting a copy of the Baptism record?

Yes,  I'll get it for you when I next go to the Archives. They will probably photo  copy it for me and then I can put it on here if that's ok with you.

That is fantastic news about the Birth Certificate and it's solved the mystery of "Cynthia"    Perhaps Cynthia was just their pet name for Hyacinth.
Leonard must have been embarrassed with his connection with the Churches and hence the subterfuge.  He didn't learn his lesson though as he put Edith up the duff too.
Naughty boy Leonard     $smack$   

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
That's great thank you, yes feel free to post the copy on here.

My next step is to find a marriage for Evelyn and see if we can track down any living descendants! So exciting to have found a new branch of our tree.

Thank you for all your help!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:12 pm »
I've  posted a copy from the Baptism Records (for St Andrews Church)  as promised, please note the spelling of Eveline which may help in your search for further info on "Cynthia"
Good luck with your searches   $good$

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »
Thank you so much for you help

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »
You're very welcome.   $good$