Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 89450 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2017, 07:38:33 pm »
8 North Parade was Brixton House so possibly not the same family.

In 1864, there was a Thomas Parry recorded at Ty Gwyn, North Parade. I think this Ty Gwyn became Plas Marina at some stage. It was certainly the next property to Merville which is still so named.

Its as Hugo says, these properties are hotels and guest houses in a prime location.  Ty Gwyn even had a an MP staying there in October 1864!

Interestingly, as far as Glan y Mor Terrace is concerned, again in 1864, a Mr T Parry was at No 1 and the Misses Parry at No 2.  (Hugo - these are the first two properties looking from the Trevor Street end and now form part of the Esplanade Hotel).

Also of possible interest, a Thomas Parry was chairman of the Llandudno Improvement Commissioners for the years 1869-1872 - could he be Thomas at Ty Gwyn ?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2017, 11:14:59 pm »
Thanks Cambrian for pointing those things out.   I've just had a look at Google street view and I can see the Merville property,   I remember my old dentist Mr Crawford working and I think living there.
So Ty Gwyn was next to that place, quite appropriate name really as the Ty Gwyn Copper Mine was in that area. 

Was Ty Gwyn the Belmont Hotel or the Belle View House?    I was wondering where Glan Y Mor Terrace was so thanks for pointing that out.
Do you happen to know where  Bryn Maenan in Llandudno was as I've not heard of that before either?

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2017, 04:37:42 am »
8 North Parade was Brixton House so possibly not the same family.

In 1864, there was a Thomas Parry recorded at Ty Gwyn, North Parade. I think this Ty Gwyn became Plas Marina at some stage. It was certainly the next property to Merville which is still so named.

Its as Hugo says, these properties are hotels and guest houses in a prime location.  Ty Gwyn even had a an MP staying there in October 1864!

Interestingly, as far as Glan y Mor Terrace is concerned, again in 1864, a Mr T Parry was at No 1 and the Misses Parry at No 2.  (Hugo - these are the first two properties looking from the Trevor Street end and now form part of the Esplanade Hotel).

Also of possible interest, a Thomas Parry was chairman of the Llandudno Improvement Commissioners for the years 1869-1872 - could he be Thomas at Ty Gwyn ?

In the 1861 Census, Thomas Parry (father of Llewelyn) has his Occupation recorded as Builder and House Proprietor Employing 14 Men. At that stage he is living at Tygwyn House, Tygwyn Newydd, Llandudno. In the 1871 Census Thomas is recorded as Land & Houses Owner. So I think the Thomas Parry who was chairman is in all likelihood Llewelyns father.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2017, 08:36:38 am »
Cambrian,  I can see that Ty Gwyn  North Parade is now called  Belle View House but it would be interesting to know where Bryn Maenen was.

DownUnder,  Thomas Parry must have been well off in those days as the property is quite impressive.    I would imagine that in 1861 his address of Ty Gwyn  Ty Gwyn Newydd was to distinguish it from the farm that was in that area and also called Ty Gwyn.
In English Ty Gwyn Newydd means New White House

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #364 on: September 11, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »
Hugo - yes I agree re Belle View House.  Bryn Maenan is a bit tricky.  There was a Bryn Maenan in Cwlach Street but the name seems to have become corrupted to Bryn Maenu for some reason.  Possibly a printer's error somewhere along the way and it stuck.  The house is number 6 and you can see what I mean in the street directories in the archives. The Census for 1881 would also give a clue if the property is indeed in Cwlach Street or  adjacent to some other property we know the name of.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #365 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »
Cambrian, thanks very much for posting that info about Bryn Maenen in Cwlach Street.  The name isn't familiar to me although the street is as I had relatives living there in the 1861 Census.

Because of your posting I've just had a look at Chris Draper's book "Llandudno before the hotels"  and there were some interesting things and coincidences about Thomas Parry and DownUnder.       Some time ago I was looking for a property No 2 Fron Cottages in Cwlach Street and had some difficulty finding it.
DownUnder's  Grandfather William Davies once lived there so that's why I was looking for it.

I eventually found it and the cottages have been converted now into one dwelling and this is the interesting bit, they belonged to Mr Thomas Parry ( the Mason)    At the end of the cottages standing by itself on a nice piece of land stood Valley View, the residence of Tom Parry.    This can be found on pg 170 of the book together with a little story about Tom

At page 168 is another reference to Thomas Parry of Valley View who built Frondeg in 1833 and it was one of the most important houses in the village as it was the residence of Thomas Jones the Agent for the New Mine.

DownUnder, perhaps you can help here and have a look at the Census records and give two or three addresses in the Census either side of Bryn Maenen and perhaps with our local knowledge might be able to trace this place

Offline Hugo

« Reply #366 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:54 am »
I've checked the notes I made when I was looking at the 1910 Rates Book for Llandudno and Bryn Maenan is in Cwlach Street.   The house next to it is Valley View so Thomas Parry must have lived in both houses at some time.

The 1910 Rates Book had DownUnder's Grandfather  William Davies as the occupier of 2 Fron Cottages,   Albert Wright as the occupier of Bryn Maenan and John William Osborne as the occupier of Valley View

Offline Hugo

« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2018, 05:05:09 pm »
Hi Hugh,  hope that you are having better weather than we are here.    Snow, rain and wind a lot of the time here, so roll on Summer.

Conwy Archives have an online catalogue and I was looking through it and came across an article relating to Marl Bach where your ancestors once lived.    The strange thing about it is that another forum member who has made postings under the title "Pensarn Farm"  has an ancestor of the Davies family and she married into the Rogerson family but there was a rift between the Rogerson's and the Davies' for some unknown reason.    I wonder if this article may have had something to do with it?

Cyfernod / Ref No CPS1/2/3/48/35
Teitl / Title Defendant: Mary Ann Rogerson
Ddisgrifiad / Description Mary Ann Rogerson of M[arle]bach, near Conway.
Charged with Breaking and Entering the dwelling house of John Davies and stealing one pound in weight of mutton belonging to him.
Witness statements from John Davies of M[arle]bach, a working Gardener; Evan Roberts, a Police Constable at Tywyn; John Davies of Deganwy, a Labourer (Son of John Davies of M[arle]bach) and Mary Ann Rogerson.
Verdict: Dismissed.
Dyddiad / Date 26/5/1902
Graddau / Extent 12 

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2018, 05:21:45 am »
Cambrian, thanks very much for posting that info about Bryn Maenen in Cwlach Street.  The name isn't familiar to me although the street is as I had relatives living there in the 1861 Census.

Because of your posting I've just had a look at Chris Draper's book "Llandudno before the hotels"  and there were some interesting things and coincidences about Thomas Parry and DownUnder.       Some time ago I was looking for a property No 2 Fron Cottages in Cwlach Street and had some difficulty finding it.
DownUnder's  Grandfather William Davies once lived there so that's why I was looking for it.

I eventually found it and the cottages have been converted now into one dwelling and this is the interesting bit, they belonged to Mr Thomas Parry ( the Mason)    At the end of the cottages standing by itself on a nice piece of land stood Valley View, the residence of Tom Parry.    This can be found on pg 170 of the book together with a little story about Tom

At page 168 is another reference to Thomas Parry of Valley View who built Frondeg in 1833 and it was one of the most important houses in the village as it was the residence of Thomas Jones the Agent for the New Mine.

DownUnder, perhaps you can help here and have a look at the Census records and give two or three addresses in the Census either side of Bryn Maenen and perhaps with our local knowledge might be able to trace this place

These latter messages were somehow missed by me (or perhaps forgotten about) so sorry for the late response.

The 1911 census lists the following:

3 Cwalch Street (Charles R Williams)
4 Brookes Cottages (Alfred Bryan)
Vron (Fron?) Cottage (William Jones)
Daisy Bank (John Hughes)
Valley View (John William Osbourne)
BRYN MAENAN (ALBERT EARNEST WRIGHT)
Rosa Cottage (Louis Magee)
Fern Bank (John Hughes)
8 Bodhyfryd Cottage (William Jones)
Bodhyfryd Cottage (Jane Roberts)
2 Cwlach Street (Mary Anne Thomas)

Hope this helps

Offline Hugo

« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:07 am »
Thanks Hugh for posting that info.   Some of the old names of the houses live on thank goodness and they helped me to trace where your Grandfather lived in the street

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2018, 11:24:18 am »
Hi Hugh,  hope that you are having better weather than we are here.    Snow, rain and wind a lot of the time here, so roll on Summer.

Conwy Archives have an online catalogue and I was looking through it and came across an article relating to Marl Bach where your ancestors once lived.    The strange thing about it is that another forum member who has made postings under the title "Pensarn Farm"  has an ancestor of the Davies family and she married into the Rogerson family but there was a rift between the Rogerson's and the Davies' for some unknown reason.    I wonder if this article may have had something to do with it?

Cyfernod / Ref No CPS1/2/3/48/35
Teitl / Title Defendant: Mary Ann Rogerson
Ddisgrifiad / Description Mary Ann Rogerson of M[arle]bach, near Conway.
Charged with Breaking and Entering the dwelling house of John Davies and stealing one pound in weight of mutton belonging to him.
Witness statements from John Davies of M[arle]bach, a working Gardener; Evan Roberts, a Police Constable at Tywyn; John Davies of Deganwy, a Labourer (Son of John Davies of M[arle]bach) and Mary Ann Rogerson.
Verdict: Dismissed.
Dyddiad / Date 26/5/1902
Graddau / Extent 12

Hugo,

I have yet to make a connection between the "John Davies" in the article and my family line. Having said that, I am even more driven to continue the search into the extended family. Our weather here has been variable - hot humid days with severe thunderstorms (and associated electrical blackouts), or cloudy cool days (very few of). Seems much easier to build up clothing layers to tackle the cold (no limits) than take layers off (legal constraints) to battle the heat.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2018, 09:05:58 pm »
Hi;
Just been looking  at (Mary Ann and here baby)
 my Great Auntie Mary Ann Rogerson in 1902 lived on the same farm as John Davies
with her Mum Mary Rogerson
Mmmm and my grandfather age 23 her brother
 So all living on this farm