Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 91413 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:09 pm »
I was looking at the notes I have made and Mary Davies was born in January 1853 and died in September 1857 aged just 4. 

In the 1861 Census there is a Mary Davies  aged 1 and she is the daughter of Edward & Margaret and she must have been named after the young Mary who died a few years before.

When I can, I'll visit Llangystennin Church and take a photo of the grave of Edward and Margaret but on reflection I'm not sure now if they are William's Grandparents as that William died in 1879 yet in the 1881 Census William was still alive and living at Brickfields.
It's so frustrating!    ???

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2015, 06:31:46 am »
Once again I am humbled at the effort every one of you continue to make.  I must admit to shedding a few tears at the photos and translated inscriptions of what appears to be my distant great-great-great grandparents. I have been looking at all the info I have been given or have amassed from the internet.  I have even purchased a copy of Legacy 8.0 to try to become a bit more organised.  I have started to enter data (whilst fretting over the recent Category 5 - worst possible- Cyclone which landed north of Brisbane. Minimal affect on Brisbane but devastating for the towns where it made land).

In this process I have noticed that there appears to be a number of confusing inconsistencies so instead of hitting the list with a swag of questions, I thought I would start with Edward and Margaret.  In 1841, the Census image shows "Parish of Eglwys Fach Township of Cefn y Coed". The street name is transcribed as "P???adicey".  I tried to find the street name using Google Maps, but was surprised to find that Eglwys Fach was near Aberdovey, and Cefn-y-Coed is located in Bangor.  Are these location correct?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2015, 07:52:56 am »
Hugh, Eglwysbach is a small village in the Conwy Valley that joins on to Glan Conwy and is south of that village.
Unfortunately there are a number of Eglwysbach or Eglwysfach's in Wales.  In English the word means "Little Church" but the Eglwysbach that your relatives were from is in the village in Denbighshire.
There have been some changes in the County or "shire" name in recent years and Eglwysbach is now in the County of Conwy, but for your research purposes it is Denbighshire.

A lot of villages in Wales also didn't have street names in the 1841's just names of houses as everyone seemed to know each other.  I'll try and find the Census details for 1841 and 1891 at the Archives as I have to go there again this week as I've left something there.  (another senior moment)

Don't struggle with place names etc as there are people here who know the area.  In fact the distance between Eglwysbach and Llanrhos is less than 9 miles and Marl and Glan Conwy are  in between the two so it's only a small area where Edward and Margaret lived.

I hope that you won't be affected by the cyclone but it must be horrendous for those that are.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2015, 10:59:59 am »
When I can, I'll visit Llangystennin Church and take a photo of the grave of Edward and Margaret but on reflection I'm not sure now if they are William's Grandparents as that William died in 1879 yet in the 1881 Census William was still alive and living at Brickfields.
It's so frustrating!    ???

I just want to correct this posting as it is misleading.  It should of course have read  "  on reflection I'm not sure now if they are                                                William's Grandparents as that Edward   died in 1879 yet in the 1881 Census Edward was still alive and living at Brickfields".             :-[                                              .     

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:34 pm »
Hugo

I am fairly sure that Margaret Davies (later Wynne) (daughter of Edward and Margaret) was born 7.12.1847 at Hendafarn. This property was located near Black Gate on the Great Orme.  It might be worth checking the 1851 census for Hendafarn (could also be spelt Hen Dafarn) to see if the family was there. If they had a Llandudno connection, possibly Edward and Margaret (snr) were buried on the Great Orme.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:49 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, I've found Edward & Margaret Davies in the 1851 Census  and they were at Marl Bach but I can't trace them in the 1841 Census
I checked the Burial Indexes for them at St Tudno's on the Great Orme and St Hilary's in Llanrhos as well as all the Cemeteries in Eglwysbach.
It was when I was checking the Llangwystennin one that I came across a Grave for Edward and Margaret Davies and thought that I had found their grave.  The dates they were born fitted, but it said that Edward died in 1879 and we know from the 1881 Census that Edward was alive and living at Brickfields so I'm back to square one.
The Edward buried in Llangystennin lived at Bodysgawen Pydew but Williams Grandfather may have moved from Brickfields  after 1881 so at the moment I'm looking at Census records for 1841 and 1891 but am not having much luck.
Hen Dafarn is an 18th century building with a lot of history but I'll use Margaret Wynne's name to try and trace Elizabeth in the 1871 Census at Llan Glan Conwy

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »
Hugo, the Wynnes appear to have been in Glan Conwy for the 1881 census and then at Brickfield for the 1891.  I wonder if Edward and Margaret died between these years and the younger couple took over the tenancy.

I have a note that Margaret (junior) was living in Glan Conwy at the 1861 census.  In 1871, there were at 2 Sea View:

David Wynne 25 Labourer b Eglwysfach
Margaret Wynne 23 wife b Llandudno
Jane Wynne 2 daughter b Llandudno
William Wynne 3 mths son b Llansantffraid

Offline Hugo

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2015, 09:39:31 pm »
You could be correct Cambrian because in 1891 Edward Davies would have been 75 and too old for farming but if he died where was he buried?   The only Cemetery in the area I didn't check was the old Baptist one in Glanwyddan so I'll have a look at that one next.
I was looking through one of the Census records but can't remember which year, but as I was scrolling through I could see two Brickfields there.   I'll check ancestry when I go to the Archives next and see if I have more luck

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:48 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, I've found Edward & Margaret Davies in the 1851 Census  and they were at Marl Bach but I can't trace them in the 1841 Census

Hi Hugo,

I have attached copies of the 1841 Census Transcript and the Image of the Census Entry.  I now realise the gravestone you found may not be of my grandfather's grandparents, but it is still an emotional journey for me finding all this information about my father's family history after all these years.

Which brings me to the point that if there is anyone who happens to be reading this thread and thinks they have any relevant information or leads but does not want to post publicly, please, please contact me direct on hugh.daviessolutions@gmail.com

Offline Hugo

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:09 am »
Cambrian,  I've a couple of points to ask you:

You are familiar with the area of Eglwysbach, can you make out the name in the Census report?   It looks like Piccadilly but seems strange for a Welsh area although when I was working I have called on a farm somewhere with that name but can't remember exactly where it was.

In the 1861 Census was Margaret Wynne (nee Davies) aged 23?    The reason I ask is because she would have been born about 1838.
The Margaret Davies from Marl Bach though was born about 1848 and would have been only about 13 in the 1861 Census.
This would mean that your Margaret is not William's Aunt although they could be directly related because of where they were born

Offline Hugo

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:32 am »
Hugh, the Census you have found is the correct one for 1841, now we'll have to find the correct name of the farm

Offline Hugo

« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »
I've found Hafodty and Fron on the O/S map and they are just south and to the west of the village of Eglwysbach but couldn't see anything  resembling the name of Edwards House.
The Census returns were sometimes done in some type of order so I expect Edward's place to be in between the two properties. I'll ask Tellytubby, my walking friend to have a look on his more detailed map

Offline Cambrian

Re: Davies Family
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »
Hugo

Piccadilly is a bit of puzzle I agree.  There's a pub in Caerwys so named and a wood above Glan Conwy but nowhere I know of in Eglwysbach.

I think Hafodty is on the road up to Llyn Siberi - not been there for some years but I seem to recall it was quite dilapidated.

I'll ponder on Margaret Davies but my notes are not very comprehensive as it was another family I was researching at the time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »
Thanks Cambrian,  I've enjoyed a few pints in the Piccadily in Caerwys in the past. a good place for meals nowadays I've heard.     Z**

Fron and Hafodty on that Census both appear on the ordinary O/S map but the other one is missing.   By the way what do you think the name of Edward Davies' property is?

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:59 pm »
Hugh, the Census you have found is the correct one for 1841, now we'll have to find the correct name of the farm

I have attached the image of what I am certain is the baptismal record of Jane Davies as listed in the 1841 Census.  It seems to have a location noted which may help.