Author Topic: Daviies Family  (Read 91758 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Daviies Family
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2015, 04:21:52 pm »
Thanks for sorting that out Cambrian, it's saved me taking some paracetamol and a stiff drink   Z**

Just to clarify what you've said, do you think now that Margaret lived at No 7 Pentai which is the last of the stone and timber cottages before Bryn Eglwys?

I've just come back from the Archives and had a look at the original Baptism record for William.   Hugh has already seen the details but I'll post what I saw.
Baptism Record for Llanrhos     Page 38  No 303
1st December 1875    William      Illigitimate son of Elizabeth Davies   Ty Bricks Eglwysrhos       Baptised by John Davies vicar

I had a look at the marriage register but could find nothing for Elizabeth Davies but suspect that in those times as she already had a child if she got married it would have been in a Registry Office, probably that one in Conwy.

I double checked the burial indexes but couldn't see anything for Edward and Margaret Davies.   I did notice a lot of Wynne's buried in Eglwysbach though.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2015, 01:05:16 pm »
Yes, Hugo, No 7 I think it will be if that is number of the next one to Bryn Eglwys. I also think we have three options for Edward and Margaret resting place.  St Hilary's (Llanrhos), Glan Conway, or Eglwysbach.  As William (Jr) was baptised by the vicar, I think it safe to assume the family were Anglicans.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2015, 04:44:15 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, so No 7 Pen Tai is where Margaret Lived in 1891.  No 7 isn't shown in the photo I took so when I'm next there I'll pop around and take a photo for Hugh to see.
By coincidence No 7 was the house I went into on my visit there recently.   No 6 and No 7 have been converted into one property and I was shown around both cottages and the old and new parts were pointed out to me.  It really was a lovely conversion.

I have looked at the burial indexes for St Hilary's, St Tudno's,  Glan Conwy and Eglysbach as well as a few others but found nothing apart from the grave for young Mary Davies in St Hilary's.  Quite honestly I'm stumped as what to do next because either I'm missing something or there is no headstone on any grave but that seems unlikely.
What I intend to do now is to send an e-mail to St Hilary's and ask the secretary if there is a grave there and if so the number of it. 

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2015, 09:53:16 pm »
Hugo - if you have a look back to Hugh's post on 10/03/15 @ 0827, it looks as if he has found the burial details for Edward and Margaret.  Both are in St Hilary's and as he found them in the Burial Register there should be a plot number.

St Hilary's is administered from the Parish Office at St David's in Penrhyn Bay, possibly they have a plan there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, it's the plot number I'm looking for and that will be enough to trace the Graves.   I had intended to e-mail St David's but couldn't find the e-mail address.
I have contacted St David's about graves in Llanrhos in the past and the secretary is very helpful there so tomorrow I think that I'll phone them instead.  I'm puzzled by the fact that I haven't found the grave in the Burial Records as I would have thought that they had a headstone, but I should know the reason soon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:17 pm »
I called at St David's Church in Penrhyn Bay this morning and spoke to the secretary there.   The records that they have do not have the grave number and are exactly the same as those in the Archives and she brought their copy of the records out and it is just a copy of the one in the Archives.
They do not have a record of where the graves are in St Hilary's and suggested that I contact Cardiff instead.

Later I went to Glan Conwy and took some photos of No 7 Pentai and one of the whole street looking from the Bryn Eglwys end.   By chance I saw my friend there who now owns No 7 and we had another good chat while enjoying the warm Spring weather.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »
Hugo, the original No 7 was for many years the home of Tom Gill, a noted steam engine driver at Llandudno Junction who later served as verger at the church. He was a nephew of the Lucy Hughes who lived at Bryn Eglwys.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2015, 08:22:38 am »
That's a name from the past,  I never met Tom Gill, but I knew a lot of people who worked at the Junction and they always spoke highly of him

Offline Hugo

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »
As St Hilary's Church is in the Diocese of St Asaph, I sent an e-mail to St Asaph today asking if they can tell me the location of the grave for Edward and Margaret.     I also asked them if they do not have the record of the burial plots, then where should I apply to for that information.
As soon as I receive a reply I'll post it up on here.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2015, 07:40:14 am »
I have been digging through the on-line records to trace Edward and Margaret's history.  I mentioned previously the Edward was the illegitimate son of a David Davies and Elinor Hughes in 1810. I then focused on Margaret Davies. Her baptism record in 1816 showed that she was the daughter of Hugh Davies and Dorothy Jones of Tyddyn Iolyn.  I decided to see who else had lived at that farm and did a 'House Name' search of the Census records.

The only hit was for the 1881 Census and showed William and Mary Jones and their family members, but lo and behold, there was a William Davies 14 listed as a Farm Servant. This would have been William's age at the date of the 1881 Census. On the image, his place of birth shows "Do    Do", which also appears against the previous three entries all under under "Denbighshire  Eglwysbach". My assumption is that William would not have completed the Census himself so any error would have been detected by him.

The only other record I have found is for 1901 where Charles and Ellen Roberts were residing there.  Other properties around Tyddyn Iolyn include Pen Rhiw, Rhiw, Berllan Bach, Morfa and Dyto (1901) Fron Isa (1891).   Do you know if Tyddyn Iolyn still exists?

Hugo, I have my fingers crossed for a good result from St Asaph.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2015, 10:39:19 am »
Hugh,  Tyddyn Iolyn does still exist but it is now a ruin and has no access to it from the road.     It is about 2 miles from Eglwysbach and is near Coed Iolyn  (Iolyn Woods) and is some distance from the road.    It is at the top of a very steep and zig zag narrow road.
I went up there to take a photo of the place but it is now on private farmland and the ground was muddy so I didn't go to it.   
I'll try again when the weather improves.
That William isn't your Grandfather as you already have him on the 1881 Census at Brickfiels and the age at Brickfields is correct whereas the Eglwysbach one is not
The other names of the properties around Tyddyn Iolyn give you an idea of the type of area that surrounds Tyddyn Iolyn.    Rhiw in English means hill so Pen Rhiw  (Hill top)  Rhiw  (Hill) Berllan Bach  (Little Orchard)  Morfa   (Marsh) and Fron Isa  (Lower breast of hill)

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from St Asaph but I am surprised that St David's Church hasn't got a plan of the graves as a few years ago I was looking for my Grandfather's grave there and they gave me the location and the grave didn't have a headstone.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
That William isn't your Grandfather as you already have him on the 1881 Census at Brickfiels and the age at Brickfields is correct whereas the Eglwysbach one is not

Oops! Rush of blood! Of course you are correct. It just threw me when I saw a William Davies working at a property once housing William's relatives.  Thank you for your attempt at photographing the remains of Tyddyn Iolyn, but take care.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2015, 01:04:42 pm »
I've done the same myself Hugh when I've got carried away looking for someone.     I saw Tyddyn Iolyn  from the road but my camera is basic and only has a  4X zoom lens but if my mate Tellytubby was with me he would have been able to take a photo with his 41x zoom camera.
Don't worry but we'll get a photo sometime.     

Offline Hugo

« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »
Hugh,  if you want to see Tyddyn Iolyn on Google street view just put in Eglwysbach, then click on maps.
Go South down from the village and as you are looking at the screen go left at the staggered cross roads and follow that road on your left

Switch to the satellite image and go  along the road, past Backtrack Camping and carry on until you see Cefn Y Coed Uchaf and stop there.

Across the road and in the middle of a few trees are two buildings and that is where I was told by a young farmer, is where Tyddyn Iolyn is.    It looks like it has a good roof but when I saw it through my binoculars the roof has large holes in it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2015, 05:39:39 pm »
Cambrian, you are probably aware of it but I came across this when I was looking on line for graves in the Llanrhos Cemetery.   It's a sad reminder of World War I   

In memory of Private D Wynne
Rank:PrivateService No:14560Date of Death:01/05/1915    Age:29Regiment/Service:Royal Welsh Fusiliers 11th Bn.    Grave Reference:III. I. 1B.Cemetery:LLANRHOS (SS. ELERI AND MARY) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information:Son of David and Margaret Wynne, of Brickfield Cottage, Llandudno