Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208418 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Weather
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
We had arranged for a walk in Llanberis on Thursday but that's a non starter now with the winds forecast.   In fact tonight I've put all the garden furniture on the ground to save any damage.
I bet the West Shore in Llandudno had a battering from the sea today and I would imagine the sand has blown over the wall again.

Offline mull

« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2014, 10:44:49 am »
At least you can get out of Llandudno.

Up here looking at the weather forecast for this week it could be Saturday before anything moves.
Need to go shopping in Oban.

Google Calmac Ferry service status .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2014, 11:34:37 am »
Doesn't look too good up there Mull.   All you can do is batten down the hatches and settle for a wee dram or two.          aaa.gif            Z**

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2015, 08:51:37 am »
From Monday afternoon onwards we're going to be subjected to a heatwave. The hot air currently heating parts of France and Spain to 40C+ is coming this way, and approaching from the SE. Because of its direction, at least initially, Llandudno's normal severe weather protection - its position in the Irish Sea - won't be much use.

The details are not yet available and - curiously - the Met office hasn't yet issued any severe weather warnings, probably because they don't want to get their fingers burnt... (sorry).

The problem is, however, that this heatwave is expected to stay around for quite a while and heat - as we know - builds. It'll also bring some thunderstorms, so all in all, nice conditions to look forward to. Highest temps will be in the SE, so we'll hear a lot about it on the news.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2015, 11:58:59 am »
Heavy rain, thunder and hail set to batter North Wales

Torrential rain, thunderstorms and even hail are expected to batter North Wales later this week.

Parts of the region had a chilly start this morning with fog patches, which reduced visibility on the A55, but this will clear to make way for sunshine and highs of 23.

But the Met Office has warned the cloud will increase towards the evening bringing with it heavy thundery rain.

It has issued a yellow weather warning for all six counties in the region for Thursday and Friday (August 13 and 14).

Heavy rain will reach the south of England in the early hours of Thursday morning, before pushing up to North Wales during the day.

Met Office officials are warning that the rainfall is likely to be “heavy and thundery” and there could also be torrential downpours in some areas.

They are forecasting that there could be 15 to 30mm of rain in just six hours on Thursday, but say that some areas could see as much as 50mm by the end of the day.

As a result of the yellow “be aware” warning, anyone planning to travel is being urged to think ahead of their journey and allow extra time.

MORE...http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-rain-thunder-fog-9838774

Offline SteveH

Re: Weather Aurora Borealis tonight
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2016, 03:12:58 pm »
Northern Lights could be visible over North Wales tonight
Stargazers and photographers could be in with the chance of seeing the stunning Aurora Borealis over North Wales tonight.

The Northern Lights could be visible in the region thanks to strong solar winds.
The Met Office tweeted: "Strong solar winds mean northern parts could see the #aurora tonight. Best chance in N Scotland under clear skies."

For the best chance to see the phenomenon, it is advised to stay away from artificial lights and let your eyes become accustomed to the dark.
The Aurora Borealis occurs when electrically-charged particles from the Sun enter the Earth's atmosphere.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/northern-lights-could-visible-over-11173828

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:00 pm »
I've been thinking about the weather, and more precisely, weather 'forecasting'
Last night, as they've said every night for the past few weeks, they have said that the week ahead is either unsettled or changeable.
Right, OK, accepting that to be true, why do we invest so many 100's of millions into weather forecasting?
After all, what happens is what happens, so why spend so much resource on something that can't be changed?
Very few people really have chance to base any plans on a 'changeable' forecast'
If there were no more weather forecasts on TV, would it really make any difference to us?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »
"If there were no more weather forecasts on TV, would it really make any difference to us?"

I have wondered in the past, how a poor forecast affects us (bearing in mind our mini micro climate) the number of times I have heard a poor forecast for the weekend,for it to be wrong.

Another thing, they always put a cloud over Llandudno on the TV weather map.  :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »
I was thinking more nationwide, or even world wide.
You see, any weather warnings, requiring action to protect against hurricanes or blizzards could simply be a news item.
Everything else is a waste of time surely?
Much as I love looking at Benhaz Akgar or Lucy Verasamy (in particular),  I can easily imagine life without the meaningless drivel they espouse several times a day.
Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »

I was so feed up with the bad weather forecasting being broadcast by the BBC I gave up watching them entirely. Their incredibly inaccurate predictions cost as thousands of pounds in lost trade. It was so bad I actually put a link on my website to our local Llandudno Weather Station @ www.Llandudno-Weather.co.uk which showed our weather in real time.  $walesflag$

When all else fails, look out the window. That way at least you will get WX Actual.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2016, 08:16:15 am »
Weather - or to be more precise - our weather in the UK is fascinating. And you may not realise it, but the degree of accuracy in forecasts has improved so that it now stands (even for Llandudno) at an all time high of around 80%. What drives the Meteorological office, however, is the income from the businesses which depend on accurate forecasting. Many businesses pay a small fortune to receive highly accurate forecasts and the rest of us benefit from the more generalised forecast on the TV.

Fester's point is interesting. The Beeb's national forecast attempts to compress a detailed image of probabilities, Euclidean vectors and fluid dynamics into a two minute natter; it can't possibly work other than for periods of high pressure. What's more, as Blongb notes, no concession to the Gulf Stream-influenced climate of Llandudno is ever made. And Llandudno enjoys not only the lowest rainfall in Wales but also one of the lowest in the UK with a mean temperature difference of around 3C between even Llanwrst and Llandudno.

I think what's important, however, is to make the point that forecasting is very, very tricky when compared with sticking your head out of the window. Weather patterns in the UK are notoriously unpredictable - far more so than most countries in the world.  This unpredictability, combined with our significant tidal ranges make accurate forecasting pretty tricky, but our Met Office is recognised around the world as one of the best. The Americans, for example, use our Met office to forecast their Hurricanes, simply because we do it better.

I suspect that what needs to change is the emphasis. Glib phrases such as "It's going to be sunshine and showers for most of us" are usually influenced by the weather in the South: we often miss out on the showers completely and a forecast developed specifically for Llandudno would probably say "Cool breezes but lots of sunshine and very little chance of rain".

Around Snowdonia, and in much of Wales, the farming community do need to know the weather in some detail. More precisely, they need to know the temperatures as they have quite a significant impact on their decision making. But the Met office, via the BBC, have become their own worst enemies by making generalised statements about the weather several months in advance. Prediction of the weather even two days in advance is still very difficult, so when you read that the weather next week is likely be anything at all treat it with a pinch of salt.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:59 pm »
The hail stones around N Wales have been terrible this last few days, but look at these pictures from Spain two days ago.  These were hazardous to life as you can see.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2016, 07:43:39 am »
Puts our weather worries into perspective.

Offline SteveH

Re: Weather Warning
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2016, 11:45:22 am »
Warning of North Wales flooding issued as thunder and hail set to bring sunny spell to an end
The end of the sunny weather is in sight - with torrential rain and thunder forecast in North Wales this afternoon.

Heavy and thundery showers are going to swoop in to the west of the region at about 1pm, with Anglesey, Gwynedd and parts of Conwy at risk of localised flooding.

Torrential rain and even hail could be on the cards as a new weather system moves in, and the Met Office has issued a yellow warning for rain.
A spokesman for the forecaster said: “Heavy, thundery showers are expected to break out this afternoon over central and western parts of Northern Ireland and western parts of Wales.

“Whilst many will miss the worst, rain will be locally torrential, with the risk of hail.
“Please be aware of the risk of localised flooding.”      ref DP.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2016, 04:07:40 pm »
3 hours after the forecasted torrential rains....  it still looks lovely to me!!
Fester...