Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 107257 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2017, 01:15:50 pm »
An application has gone in to CCBC for 3 exterior loudspeakers and 2 outdoor surveillance cameras to be attached to the front facade at Dylan's Llandudno. Now I can understand the surveillance cameras, but I'm a bit worried as to the reason behind the exterior loudspeakers  ??? What does everyone else think?

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:26 pm »
Good idea for announcements.....you do not want to miss last orders! Z**

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2017, 08:30:23 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:26 am »
An application has gone in to CCBC for 3 exterior loudspeakers and 2 outdoor surveillance cameras to be attached to the front facade at Dylan's Llandudno. Now I can understand the surveillance cameras, but I'm a bit worried as to the reason behind the exterior loudspeakers  ??? What does everyone else think?

Hopefully they are planning to put on some raves in the early hours of the morning. Should prove very popular with the young folk  $good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:16 pm »
Anything that's not Broadway. But not sure I classify as 'young folk' anymore...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »

Hopefully they are planning to put on some raves in the early hours of the morning. Should prove very popular with the young folk  $good$

Ooooh Wrex will be pleased !! :P
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2018, 07:23:07 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this controversial topic, but based on my observations this last few days, I couldn’t help myself.
I can’t help wonder what the visitors to the town are going to make of it in 2018?
The stretch of Mostyn St which used to house M&S Menswear and Greenwood’s looks terrible now.
That’s prime retail space and there are no signs of anything being proposed to replace those great traditional businesses.
Worse is to come when M&S main outlet disappears from the high street.
Clonmel St and St George’s Place, despite being central to Llandudno, now have glaring gaps as failed businesses have vacated property. Little or nothing to see or spend money on there.
The Pier had a much reduced number of shops in 2017, and several kiosks were left empty all year.  In 2018 I am aware of several others who will not be returning.
The Pier gates on Happy Valley Rd are permanently closed, awaiting major structural improvements to the pier steelwork, which to date has no schedule to begin.  So, parking on HV road is a waste of time and money now.  In addition, the fishing tackle shop is also closed down.
They may not get done at all if Mr Waldron goes ahead with his Pavilion development, Mr Williams had made that absolutely clear.
There may be a colossal building site to contend with for more than a year there.
It’s half term now, and the weather was OK at the weekend, (I’ve worked in far worse), but not a single shop on the seaward end of the pier was open, and only a couple at the landward end.  It used to be a busy fortnight, weather permitting, and would kickstart the new season.

Returning to Mostyn Street, it’s an inescapable fact that there are more homeless people sleeping in the shop doorways than ever before.  It’s a tragedy I know, and it’s a national problem, but it’s not a ‘good look’ for visitors to see.
Almost every cashpoint in town also has a beggar or homeless person beside it, for obvious reasons.
The number of buskers, mostly of an appalling standard, has increased greatly. Many of these are just begging in a different guise.
From 5pm onwards, it’s embarrassing to try and have a walk around town, let alone a peaceful night out.

I’m not saying that visitors won’t come this year, I’m simply saying that their experience will be not as they remember it.  Will they want to return in anywhere like similar numbers?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:27 pm »
I was just about to ask if anyone knew why the gates to the pier on Happy Valley are permanently locked, so thanks for that info Fester. When Mr M was recovering from an illness we would park our car in the disabled bays nearby and have a short walk on the pier, ideal as there are so many seats to sit on when he became breathless. What's the point in having these parking bays when to get to anything it's too far to walk now.  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:55 pm »
I was just about to ask if anyone knew why the gates to the pier on Happy Valley are permanently locked, so thanks for that info Fester. When Mr M was recovering from an illness we would park our car in the disabled bays nearby and have a short walk on the pier, ideal as there are so many seats to sit on when he became breathless. What's the point in having these parking bays when to get to anything it's too far to walk now.  &shake&

... and so it begins.   :(
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2018, 03:55:02 pm »
 L0L

Those buskers are terrible, especially that young punky looking lad, he makes Johnny Rotten sound like Pavarotti!

At least we have the Monkey man to keep visitors entertained  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:00 pm »
There’s also the expense of everything.
The rides on the pier had gone up alarmingly last year, as did the food and drink.
Trip Advisor was replete with complaints about both.
I’ve noticed new signage on the Pier burger shop, prices have increased yet again.

In the King's Head last night, my wife and I were charged £10.20p for 2 drinks, which are usually £8.60 in the Snooze.
But, in most towns and cities they would be around £6.00

Fester...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2018, 12:55:07 pm »
from Fester « Reply #7896 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:27 PM »
It was pretty busy from 1pm til 4pm when we were at the Xmas Fayre... but never rammed.
I have several thoughts on the admission fee.
£2.50 is simply wrong, I have never been charged admission to any Xmas market in Europe, never mind the UK.  If they MUST charge, then I think £1 is fair....  but I still have to wonder why.

Many of the more niche stalls were very quiet, many of the traders were sat looking bored and playing on their phones.  Yet they were paying £1000 for the 4 day pitch.  Not viable.
The food stalls were very busy indeed, and that is a theme which is seen in the high street these days.  More coffee shops, more cafes are opening... but shops that sell ‘things’ are struggling and closing down.

If the organisers are using the Live Entertainment as a justification for the charge (and I noted on Facebook that they are), then that is a gross misrepresentation.
The vast majority of the ‘acts’ on the inside marquee were simply schools and school choirs.
I watched two sessions of line dancing pensioners, and they were so bad they were hilarious.  They were having fun (I think?) but they were terrible.
Line dancing is a hobby, please don’t pass it off as entertainment... and please don’t pretend that they are being paid a lot of money to perform.

That said, the Xmas Fayre was the best one I’ve been to in Llandudno and we spent about £70 on the usual cheeses, bits to eat etc... but it is not anywhere near the size or quality of the Leeds, Manchester or Lincoln ones... and they are FREE to get into.

The prize for the cleverest entrepreneur goes to the lady who runs the Upper Crust cafe on Madoc St.
She pitched a gazebo outside the event (thereby not paying rent) and charged £4.50 for roast pork sandwiches, which were SIX POUNDS only 20 feet away inside the event.  She was RAKING it in.

LLANDUDNO Christmas Fayre is set to expand along with its entry fees.

Ticket prices have increased from £2.50 to £4.50 this year to accommodate the "expanding" Christmas market. Although, early bird tickets can be purchased for £3.75 before the end of the month.

Llandudno Christmas Fayre organiser, Barry Mortlock, said the increase in entry fees was "not to make money" but to make sure the event was able to continue.

Speaking to the Pioneer, Mr Mortlock said: "The key things about the entry fee of £4.50 is only to cover our costs. If we have 20,000 people again, like last year, we'll be alright.
"But we can't do this without the funding. We are not trying to make money.

The Llandudno Christmas Fayre will run from November 15 to 18. The Fayre will be open from 10am until 6pm on Thursday, 9.30am to 7pm on Friday and Saturday, and 9.30am to 4.30pm on Sunday.

Tickets are are on sale now from Venue Cymru.    ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:50 pm »
Following on from the Pioneer's piece above.

Llandudno Christmas Fayre boycott threat as entry fee nearly doubles
Locals are furious that the price has been hiked for the second year running.

The organisers of a popular Christmas fair have defended charging nearly double the entry fee for this year’s event after a furious reaction on social media.  ( FB "you know you are from Llandudno" 160 comments)

Llandudno Christmas Fayre drew 35,000 visitors last year.    ( The Pioneer is quoting 20,000 visitors ? in the above article,   15,000 @ £2.50 ?)

Eyebrows have been raised as tickets for the event taking place in November have shot up from £2.50 to £4.50. Children under 16 are free.
Before last year the majority of the Christmas Fayre was free, with a small charge to enter a marquee area.

The decision to introduce fees last year caused a similar backlash.
Many people have taken to social media to express their dismay, with some pointing out most Christmas fairs across the UK are free to enter.

MORE     Link
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:05:35 pm by Ian »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2018, 03:46:46 pm »
Is it me ? or doesn't this link work?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2018, 04:27:46 pm »
Is it me ? or doesn't this link work?

Sorry...........Looks like I missed a zero off the link.  new one below all OK    Maybe Ian can add in missing 0     ??

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-christmas-fayre-boycott-threat-15226540