Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820926 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 11:32:16 am »
The bins are a problem.  They have to be relatively close to the accommodation  and camping field, and the only place that Conwy can access them for most of the time is there.  So moving them presents problems, not the least of which is that Conwy environmental services often don't bother emptying them, which - in high summer with the numbers  staying there - means full bins and smells...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:13 am »
The weather forecast for Snowdonia on  Monday wasn't very good and when we arrived in Capel Curig to do the Moel Siabod walk it was absolutely horrendous!   So we reverted to plan B,  go to the Pinnacles Cafe and have a nice warm coffee. :)
As we had come all that way we then decided on an easy riverside walk from the Ugly House to the Miners Bridge and return through the Forest.  We parked our cars in the Ugly House car park (making a donation to the Trust) and then walked along the riverbank. Even there you have to be careful how you walk as the tree roots are on the surface of the ground and the rocks can be quite slippy because of the damp conditions. The recent spell of wet weather has provided ideal conditions for the moss and funghi to grow and this was evident all along the bank of the river. Along the river the Dippers were flying past all the time and a Merganser followed us  for about half a mile before returning back.
Soon we had reached the opposite side to the Swallow Falls and this side has definitely got the best view of the falls and what's more it is free. ;D   It'll be even better in the Winter when the leaves have gone and the volume of water increases.  Not much further along and we reach the miners bridge and then make our way upwards to the Forest road and return along it to our cars.
It's not the walk we wanted but at least we enjoyed it and the day wasn't wasted. Another coffee in Betws Y Coed followed and then we came home.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 10:26:01 am »
Ugly House Riverside Walk continued.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:04 pm »
I have just had a few days away in Tenby so no energetic walking while I was there  I did have a stroll around this beautiful little resort.   The Hotel was on the North Shore and we had very impressive views over the beach and harbour and castle area.  The steps were very steep to the beach but once down there the walk is on the level.
We walked past the harbour with its little church and then walked around the castle and lifeboat house before sitting down and admiring the views across the beach to the Fort Island and Caldy Island.  The weather was hot and sunny and we took our time just enjoying the views and the delicious crab sandwiches.  Just enough time to eat the carrot cake too and then we walked along the clean, soft sand of the South Beach before climbing up the steep steps up to the Esplanade,
We returned through the narrow old streets of the town and then had a ride in the carriage pulled by Mr Ed the 18 hands high Shire Horse.  A nice way to finish the day but the good weather made all the difference.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 01:25:22 pm »
Looking over the Island Fort and Beach

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »
Never been to Tenby but it looks very pleasant judging by your photos.  :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:43 pm »
Never been to Tenby but it looks very pleasant judging by your photos.  :)

You may want to move this one to the 'Travel' section, as Hugo mentioned he didn't do much walking.  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »
Don't knock it Trojan,  it was hard going walking up all those steps when I had just eaten crab sandwiches and carrot cake.     ;D
 Anyway I've now  posted some other pics under travel.   

Offline Trojan

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Don't knock it Trojan,  it was hard going walking up all those steps when I had just eaten crab sandwiches and carrot cake.     ;D
 Anyway I've now  posted some other pics under travel.   

$welsh$  Nice one Hugo!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 07:18:40 pm »
My favourite walk this year has been the one I did on Bardsey Island.  The weather was ideal but it was the overall experience I had of walking on this historical site.  I've reposted some photos as the others were lost on the previous forum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
More photos of Bardsey

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »
Bardsey Island

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:08 pm »
Despite the grey, dank morning we had a really nice afternoon stroll in warm sunshine round the Anglesey Coastal Path near Penrhos Country Park. This little chap came within 6 inches of the camera lens in the wooded area near the beach.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:34 am »
I'm never quite sure if its a Robin or a Redsart.
I get both in my garden.... they come very close to us to.
I reckon that one is a Robin,  a little chubbier, and less pointed,  what do you reckon?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 07:35:29 am »
I'm going with Robin. As we were leaving it was on "Twitter" talking to it's agent about Christmas card deals so I assume it must be.