Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822148 times)

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #1800 on: December 05, 2016, 11:33:25 am »
Best wishes to you both                 ££$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1801 on: December 05, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »
Best wishes to you both                 ££$

I'll second that too.     $good$

Blongb,  my neighbour has had his knees replaced recently and had the two done together.  He had them done at Wrexham but by the surgeon who operates at Gobowen and the operation went very well, so good luck with your knee.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1802 on: December 06, 2016, 10:49:31 am »
Walk on little Orme this morning Angel Bay had 40+ seal's on the beach

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1803 on: December 06, 2016, 06:10:52 pm »
That's an incredible sight to see Spotty Dog     $good$

Were the Seal pups still on the beach or have they gone now?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1804 on: December 18, 2016, 12:16:13 pm »
On Saturday Tellytubby,  Rhuddlan and I enjoyed a short but very enjoyable walk in Menai Bridge.   It’s a very scenic walk that will be familiar to many people on the forum.     We started the walk from the car park by the Jade Village Restaurant and walked a short distance through some nice woodland until we came to the island Church of St Tysilio.   Even though it was a bit misty in the morning it still has some spectacular views from the island and after a good look around we walked back to the Belgium Promenade and followed it under the impressive  Menai Suspension Bridge and  along the Straits until we came to Ynys Faelog.    There we had a quick look around the island and also inside the derelict boathouse before returning back along the same route.
We sat on a bench by the Pier to have our refreshments and admire the views and then carried on along the Belgium Promenade to the car park.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1805 on: December 18, 2016, 12:26:46 pm »
Menai Bridge walk

Offline DVT

« Reply #1806 on: December 29, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »
Quite a lot of visitors to Bodnant this week - nice peaceful long walk around the garden - dell and winter garden looking particularly good even at this time of year.  Here's a pic of the sun rays through the trees in the dell this morning.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1807 on: January 06, 2017, 02:37:39 pm »
On Wednesday, Tellytubby and I had a short but very pleasant walk in Llandudno.  We met up by the boating lake on the West Shore and then walked along the sand dunes as far as the Black Rocks area as we were hoping to see the Snow Buntings that had been sighted by that spot. There were a group of photographers there with their cameras set up on tripods,  patiently waiting for the birds to arrive but we didn't stay long and after seeing the birds we then returned along the dunes.   Tellytubby found part of the cycle track under the sand but quite honestly that is where the cycle track should remain as the dunes are quite an attractive and natural feature of that area.
We headed for Haulfre Gardens and then took the first steep path and ended up at the top of Ormegolf's  golf course and continued along until we came to the Ski Lodge.   Just past the Ski Lodge is a small area of woodland on the left and we stayed there for quite a while watching the Wrens, Treecreepers and a variety of other birds all looking for food in that area.  One Song Thrush kept us amused as it was turning over the dry leaves and making quite a racket doing so.  We could have stayed there a lot longer but carried on and turned down the footpath leading to Happy Valley.   A few Goats above us were butting each other but moved on when a sheepdog off the lead approached them.   
In the Happy Valley we passed under the Laburnum Arch and it looked really good and the team from Bodnant Gardens have done a fine job trimming and shaping it this year. We returned to the West Shore along Cwlach Street and up all those steps at the end of the street back in Haulfre Gardens.  It wasn't long then before we stopped at St David's Hospice for a well deserved coffee and a delicious piece of coffee and walnut cake. It was a short but very interesting and enjoyable walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1808 on: January 06, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »
West Shore and Happy Valley

Offline hollins

« Reply #1809 on: January 06, 2017, 04:11:07 pm »
Lovely walk. It reminded me of the most enjoyable programme which was on the other night which featured similar areas. It was interesting to know more about the management of the goats and lovely to see the blue butterflies.

Still on BBC iplayer if you missed it.

BBC iPlayer - Iolo's Great Welsh Parks - Series 3: Episode 1

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1810 on: January 08, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
Tellytubby sent me this link and suggested we do it in the Summer.    It'll probably be just the two of us because Uncle Albert is having a special birthday this month and will be too old to do it and Rhuddlan  will probably be on holiday somewhere.        ;D

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-perilous-crib-goch-clamber-12417331

Online mull

« Reply #1811 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
Go for it , its all in the mind ,just pick a calm day.
Hugo, you will enjoy every minute of it .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1812 on: January 08, 2017, 10:15:38 pm »
Go for it , its all in the mind ,just pick a calm day.
Hugo, you will enjoy every minute of it .

It was a  dry sunny warm day when I last did it but I wouldn't think of doing it on a wet or windy day as it's too risky for my liking.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1813 on: January 09, 2017, 08:49:49 am »
I did it in a gusty day, some years ago, and you have to stay below the ridge itself. It was part of a training exercise then and not pleasant, but the next time I did it it was a windless day.  Far better :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1814 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
Far safer too Ian because you know that a fall on the eastern side would only have one outcome.    Some years ago a friend and I were walking up Snowdon on the Miner's track and the wind was awful,probably well in excess of 70 mph and when we came to Glaslyn there were waterspouts on the lake over 20 feet high.
We gave up on our walk up Snowdon as there are always other days and returned back via the Pyg Track.    There we met a guy who was just waiting around without any shelter whatsoever so we asked him what he was doing and he told us that he was waiting for his brother.
Apparently his brother was walking above us on Crib Goch and we were just stunned.    It was unsafe on the Pyg Track let alone the Crib and it's people like that, that cause so many problems for the Mountain Rescue teams.