Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822157 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1845 on: June 16, 2017, 07:07:56 pm »
On Wednesday, eight of us met up in Aberdaron as we were going by boat to Bardsey Island to have a walk around around this rugged and beautiful place.    We were lucky with the weather which was sunny and the seas were calm and Colin the boatman said that this was the first time he had been out on his boat for a few days as the weather there had been quite rough recently.
His high powered speed boat quickly took us to the landing stage at Bardsey and we decided to head for the lighthouse and have some refreshments there.  As we walked along the bay we were amazed to see so many Seals in the water and one massive Bull Seal was lying on a rock just sunning himself but what a racket they were all making!     
After having something to eat we then made our way back and walked past the old school house to the ruins of the Monastery and went into the Church for a quick look around.  Then it was a climb up to the top of Mynydd Enlli (  just over 500 ft )  Although the weather had been good the sea mist had come in and the views from the top were not as clear as the last time we visited this place nearly exactly 7 years ago.At the end of the ridge we headed down and back to the landing stage so we could get the boat back to Aberdaron.    We had had a really good day and seen a lot of wildlife but Colin the boatman took us to the nesting sites of numerous sea birds and it was fascinating seeing them all especially the Puffins and the Gannets.    It was hard taking photos of them though as the boat was bobbing up and down but at least we all enjoyed seeing them .
It wasn't long before we got back to Aberdaron  and went to the Ty Newydd Hotel where   8  x   Fish,  chips and mushy peas and a few beers finished off a wonderful day for us all

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1846 on: June 16, 2017, 07:11:13 pm »
Bardsey Island walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1847 on: June 17, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
It was really interesting reading about your Bardsey Island trip, thanks Hugo.
Did you have to pre book the boat trip?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1848 on: June 17, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
Yes, you have to pre book the boat trip and Tellytubby saw to all that.    I believe that Colin the boatman has the sole rights to take trips over and we were taken over at 12.30 pm and Colin brought us back at 5.00 pm.
We were so lucky with everything, the weather the wildlife and the whole atmosphere was great.   It costs £30.00 for the trip but you can't put a price on what we experienced over there.
Hope that you enjoyed your latest holiday in Switzerland.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1849 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:54 am »
Thanks Hugo.
Yes, we have had a great time in lovely weather as you have also had I believe.
Heading back to Wales today courtesy of easyjet.
We did a super walk yesterday. I will post some photos for you on the Switzerland thread as I think this one is just for walks in Wales.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1850 on: July 03, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »
Fifth call for help to the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation (OVMRO) in just six hours yesterday Saturday, July 1.

Article/Comments....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mother-son-lost-snowdonia-rescued-13270395

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1852 on: July 06, 2017, 01:24:37 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby and I drove to Harlech to do the long awaited Branwen walk.     We met Uncle Albert in the pretty village of Maentwrog and then continued on our way to Harlech.     The walk starts and ends at Harlech Castle and our walk was a circular one of about 3 miles, but because we forgot to bring any change, we had to park our car in a free parking space on the main road.     This meant that we had to walk up a very steep road until we got to the castle for the start of the walk but when we got to the castle car park,  we decided to visit the castle before starting the walk .     The castle is so impressive to see but the views from it are quite spectacular, especially on the lovely warm sunny day that we had yesterday, well worth the £4.20 us OAP’s had to pay,
After a good look around the castle we were ready for a bite to eat so we sat on some benches near the sculpture of the two Kings and sat in the shade having our refreshments.    From the castle you turn right and go downhill until you turn sharp left up a lane which has small terraced cottages typical of Old Harlech.  The lane reaches the main road and you then turn right and after a short distance turn right and follow the footpath, immediately on your right is a rocky outcrop and the views of the castle from it are superb so we all took quite a few photos from that spot.
We continued downhill, crossed the main road and took the lane behind Coleg Harlech.  until we came to a white gate which took us across the railway track and then across the Royal St David’s Golf Course.     The sand dunes were full of wild flowers such as Cornflower,  Orchids and many others that I don’t know the names of, surely a Botanist’s dream to visit this place.    Before long we arrived at the beach, a beautiful vast stretch of golden sand going for miles in both directions,  To the west we could see the sandhills of Shell Island and to the east the mountains formed a picturesque background to the sand hills of Morfa Nefyn.      Miles and miles of safe sandy beaches and on a hot Summer’s day and yet there were only about two dozen people on the whole stretch of coastline.
About 1km along the beach was a boardwalk ( or at least there was one until the sand covered it)  and we then headed back across the sand towards the castle.     The tarmac path divides the Golf Course and we stopped by a green to watch four golfer’s teeing off on this short par 3 hole.   It wasn’t a long hole, probably about 140 yards but there was hardly any fairway and it was very rough around the green.  One by one they took their tee shot and each one landed and stayed on the green and all within 10 feet from the hole.    It made me wonder what exactly I’m doing wrong when I play the game.
After that we continued on the lane and just stopped for an ice cream on the way and then returned to my car which thankfully was parked on the bottom of the hill.
Another lovely day,  another nice walk and many memories of what a beautiful area we live in.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1853 on: July 06, 2017, 01:28:50 pm »
Branwen walk Harlech

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1854 on: July 24, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
I had a very nice and interesting walk with my friend Tellytubby when we walked on the Great Orme today.  We started the walk as usual on the West Shore and walked along Llys Helig Drive to the old Gunsite.   There were some  stunning properties  being built but you would need a lottery win to afford any of them.
At the top of the gunsite overlooking Hornby Cove we  were lucky enough to see a great variety of birdlife including a Gannet and a Kestrel which was busy looking for its next meal but they move so quickly that we were unable to take their photos.  Then we walked a short distance on the Marine Drive before taking the steep path uphill opposite the cafe.   The Heather was outstanding, especially when the Sun was shining but my photos don't do it justice.    We had a bite to eat sitting above St Tudno's Church but as Tellytubby was looking for a place to sit, a Weasel popped out of the undergrowth it took one look at him and quickly popped back to where it came from.
After a short while we carried on walking past the half way tram station to the Ski Lodge and it was really good to see the place buzzing with people enjoying the good weather.   From there it was downhill, only stopping to take some photos of Rabbits playing in the field where the Donkeys normally graze, we continued on to Haulfre Gardens and along Invalid's Walk and along to St David's Hospice.
A cool drink and a delicious piece of cake for me ( Telytubby must be on a diet! )  and then it was back to the cars and back home.
On a good day it's hard to beat a walk on the Great Orme as it has so much to offer.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1855 on: July 24, 2017, 05:54:01 pm »
Great Orme walk

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1856 on: July 25, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »
some great photos Hugo, we stay at my daughter's house at blackgate when we can and walk the dog around most of the places you have snapped,it,s a world that a lot of people would give a lot to be able to see , I feel blest that at 75 ,I'm still able to go up there and take in all the the fantastic views that mother nature as given to us. the dog thinks she has died and gone to heaven when she can run around in all that heather.It's a shame they can't get rid of the ticks.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1857 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:03 am »
Thanks Snowcap,  it is a lovely place to go to and I never get tired of walking on the Great Orme as there are so many things to see.  Keep going up there as long as you are able to.    $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1858 on: August 10, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby, Uncle Albert and I met up to do part of the Lon Las Ogwen walk which is a linear walk from Porth Penrhyn to the Ogwen Lake area.  Part of the walk goes along a disused narrow gauge railway track from Penrhyn Quarry in Bethesda to Porth Penrhyn and the path has been rerouted through an old 2,600ft (800m) railway tunnel between Bethesda and Tregarth, known as Tynal Tywyll.
After closing the LNWR branch line to Bethesda in 1962, the tunnel was shut but the Welsh Government and Gwynedd Council have funded restoration and the tunnel has now been reopened
It's a two car job so one car was left in Bangor and we drove the other to Bethesda and started from the quarry where the Zip Wire is held.
The path was straightforward until we came to an arched bridge and instead of following the path we followed the narrow gauge rail track for a couple of hundred yards until it came to an abrupt end and we had to go down the slate scree to a lane which took us to Tregarth.
Because of our detour we came to the western end of the tunnel and travelled back through it so that we could see it in it's full glory.  The tunnel is well lit and the path is wide and nicely tarmaced and the workmanship of the stone and brick tunnel needs to be seen to be appreciated.   At the end of the tunnel on the Bethesda side is an impressive multi arched bridge that looks over the fast flowing waters of the River Ogwen.   After admiring the views from the bridge we had to turn back and go through the long tunnel on our way to Bangor.   On our walks we often meet like minded people and exchange greetings or a few words but yesterday we encountered something of the seedier side of human nature.
The tunnel is wide and we were walking side by side, I was at one end and approaching us was a man in his 40's with a large rucksack on his back and as he passed me and without any warning or justification he swung a haymaker punch at me.  Instinctively I moved my head and brought my hands up to block and counter punch but thankfully for me and also himself that he made no contact with me.
He then stood about 10 yards away swearing and shouting at us, the guy looked like a zombie and was obviously as high as a kite but we just left him to his problems whatever they were.
Unperturbed by what had happened we carried on until we crossed the steel girder bridge that goes over the A4744 road and had our lunch there.  I've been past that bridge hundreds of times before but have never noticed the wealth of railway memorabilia that is by the semi detached cottage and the old railway bridge buttress.    After a short while we continued on our way along a high embankment and then across a very impressive viaduct before going underneath the A55 and after that it was a walk through a delightful woodland following the River Cegin all the way down to Porth Penrhyn.       The walk was about 7 to 8 miles long and if anyone wanted to do it then I would suggest that they start in Bethesda and go to Bangor as it's steep in places but it's downhill all the way.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1859 on: August 10, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
Lon Las Ogwen walk