Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821451 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Walking
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:57 am »
I'm going with Robin. As we were leaving it was on "Twitter" talking to it's agent about Christmas card deals so I assume it must be.

There's nothing like a cheep Christmas card deal, to keep the bill small.  :-X

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
Took advantage of a break in the weather yesterday and went for a walk up Cadair Idris by way of the Minffordd Path.  The path is close to the Nant Cadair Stream and climbs steeply through woodland until you reach Cwm Cau and Llyn Cau which lies below the steep cliffs of Pen Y Gadair.  We stopped at the lake to admire the views and also for refreshments and then continued on our way upwards with spectacular views in all directions.
At the summit (2929 ft) we sat in the shelter there and finished off our refreshments before  heading to Mynydd Moel and the very steep and rocky route down. This was the worst and most difficult part of the walk and to top it all a raincloud came down and drenched us before we could get the waterproofs on! 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »
Cadair Idris

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 05:45:40 pm »
Some great photos there, Hugo.  *&(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »
Weather was rubbish first thing but I'd promised to go for a walk with a friend, so we left it to late morning and then headed down to Betws Y Coed. Paths were very muddy, so we restricted ourselves to a walk along the riverbank up to Miners Bridge (by which time the rain had stopped and the sun come out) and then back down into Betws Y Coed and a great coffee at the Caffi Caban Y Pair (the old Milk Bar). Bit of a wander around the shops and Station area and a strawberry Cadwaladars ice cream to finish off - delicious!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:22 am »
Superb pictures as always  .. but I'm never quite sure, Robin or Redstart Dave?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:06 am »
There's been a lot of money spent on the walkways around Betws over the past few years.  Nice place for a ramble and growing steadily into the Tourist Hub apparently feared by the local NIMBYs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 08:53:07 am »
Superb pictures as always  .. but I'm never quite sure, Robin or Redstart Dave?

Definitely a Robin, Fester.  Redstarts are quite rare, although North Wales is one of the better places to see them, they prefer oak woodlands and are not often seen on the ground unlike robins.  Also redstarts are Summer migrants to the UK so are only seen from about April to September.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 09:49:48 pm »
Thank you Jack,
I will bow to your superior ornithological knowledge.
Although, I usually see both around the trees and bushes above the Grand Hotel near the Camera Obscura, even up to this week!

If its rounded and podgy its a Robin,  if its thinner and more pointy, its a Redstart . that is my usual naive rule of thumb.

But I could be wrong?

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 09:57:51 pm »
There's been a lot of money spent on the walkways around Betws over the past few years.  Nice place for a ramble and growing steadily into the Tourist Hub apparently feared by the local NIMBYs.
The character of Betws has been affected by the ever growing influx of tourists. I remember it back in the days before there were all those shops at the Railway Station and before the Royal Oak Hotel was doubled in size. Was much better back then, now the place is littered with chip shop cartons and cans, coaches trying to negotiate the narrow roads and endless shops full of the same tat. I doubt David Cox would approve....  :o

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
The character of Betws has been affected by the ever growing influx of tourists. I remember it back in the days before there were all those shops at the Railway Station and before the Royal Oak Hotel was doubled in size. Was much better back then, now the place is littered with chip shop cartons and cans, coaches trying to negotiate the narrow roads and endless shops full of the same tat. I doubt David Cox would approve....  :o

Last time I went, all I could see was endless shop selling tents, backpacks and stout walking boots!
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »

Last time I went, all I could see was endless shop selling tents, backpacks and stout walking boots!

Stout walking boots.....were they made by Guinness?  D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:09 pm »
Seems a good opportunity to post this photo of Betws y Coed Railway Station from 1976 - how quiet it all was back then!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:42 am »
The character of Betws has been affected by the ever growing influx of tourists.

This is the eternal conundrum, of course.  Tourism is the bread and butter of the area, but the tourists come because the place has 'character', the very nature of which can so easily be rapidly eroded by the businesses attracted there by those very tourists. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:20 am »
Indeed, it's a very fine line and I think the balance has tipped a little too far in the case of Betws. Unfortunately, just like Pandora's Box, we can't really go back to how it was.