Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821570 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1890 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:36 am »
When we have been walking on the hills above the Copper Mine in Beddgelert we have often looked across the valley and talked about a castle being somewhere on the other side,  So last week I found details of the castle and the walk leading up to it, so on Saturday three of us decided to do the walk up to Dinas Emrys.
The walk starts in the National Trust car park of Craflwyn Hall and we took the footpath up through the woodland and it wasn't long before we came to the lovely dragon sculptured bench representing the Red and the white dragons which are part of the legend of Dinas Emrys.  Continuing along the track we came to a  three way junction in an open area and we followed the longer and more difficult route uphill passing a small waterfall as we climbed the steps through the woodland.
There was low cloud cover and visibility was poor when we reached the open moorland above the treeline, it had also been raining lightly so we were continually putting our jackets on and then taking them off as we got hotter and hotter walking up the slope.   We came to a strong wooden bench on a viewing point and on a good day the views would be outstanding, but we still enjoyed them as we sat down and had some refreshments.    This stretch of the walk was extremely boggy and slippery as Uncle Albert and myself both had a number of slips on the greasy surface.   As we crossed the moorland there was evidence of some type of industrial activity and a few ruined buildings were scattered about on the hillside.   Life must have been hard in the old days but it still is for some, as the farmer herded his sheep down the hillside, but he was on a quad bike while his dogs herded the sheep across a fast flowing stream.
We then followed what looked like a tramway down to the base of the rock on which the castle stands and then we climbed steeply through the Oak woodland until we came to the ruins of the Castle keep.  There isn't a lot to see of the old Welsh Princes' castle but the views are worth the effort of getting up there.
After looking around the site we came down carefully and took the easier way back crossing a stone slab bridge and taking photos of another waterfall and Merlin's Pool and then going past Craflwyn Hall and looking in the National Trust Centre before heading off for a nice latte and coffee cake in the cafe that was a former Chapel by the start of the Watkin Path.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1891 on: October 30, 2017, 11:54:11 am »
Dinas Emrys walk in Beddgelert

Offline hollins

« Reply #1892 on: October 30, 2017, 03:00:01 pm »
Lovely atmospheric pictures Hugo.   $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #1893 on: October 30, 2017, 03:17:13 pm »
I know what you mean about the acers Hugo but how about this for a new autumn colour?
Ceanothus in flower, photo taken yesterday!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1894 on: November 12, 2017, 10:41:27 am »

We have also done some walks in the Denbigh, Llanefydd and Llanfair TH areas, but I haven't posted any photos as my computer never recovered from the attempt by Windows 10 to install itself (without my permission!), and I lost all my photos etc and now I use a small tablet and have'nt worked out how to take and post photos on that yet..

[/quote]

Gwynant,   I had a walk yesterday and after the walk I downloaded my photos, or at least tried to.    Windows 10 had a recent offer of an upgrade and like I've done before i refused it.
Did they take any notice of my request?  did they heck and as a result I'm left with a system that I can't make head or tail of.      :rage:

Prior to that the system for me was so easy, my photo card was downloaded on Picasa 3 and put in date order, with the latest date at the top.
Then it was simple,  I just clicked on the photos and they were automatically resized and put into a folder that I would name.
The only good news is that I found the photos and put them into a folder but I'm dreading the next time as I spent some time retrieving them and had a good rant while doing so.     :rage:   :rage:     
Nemesis had the right idea staying with Windows 7.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1895 on: November 12, 2017, 04:34:26 pm »
Yesterday three of us met up in Llanberis to do a walk in the area.   We hadn’t planned the walk beforehand but once we got to Llyn Padarn we decided to walk around the lake in a clockwise direction, something we hadn’t done before.    The clouds were low on the surrounding hills and there was a continuous threat of rain but we were just so glad to get out and about after the week we all had had.
We followed the disused old railway track through woodlands and because the leaves had started to fall off the deciduous trees we were rewarded with views of the lake and of the Swans and Ducks that were feeding there.   When we came to a railway tunnel we turned right on to the main road and followed it for a short while until we came to a turning on the right that was to take us to Pen Y Llyn Bridge.  Just before we came to the bridge we went past Craig yr Undeb (Union Rock).  Because the Quarry men were banned from staging meetings in the quarry the North Wales Quarrymens Union would stage its meetings and rallies on this rock from 1874. The union was later amalgamated into the Transport & General Workers Union (later Unite). Information boards tell the story in more detail
Pen Y Llyn Bridge is a multi arched bridge that crosses the northern end of Llyn Padarn,   After crossing the bridge we took the road to Fachwen but before we started to climb the steep ascent we took the path along the lake that the miniature railway goes along and followed that until we came to the Quarry Hospital where we climbed up all those wooden steps and had our lunch on a picnic table in the grounds of the former hospital.  Despite the overcast weather the views from this elevated position were still quite stunning. Soon it was time to move on and as the Slate museum was closed we carried on walking and went back into Llanberis where we finished off the walk with a teas and coffee at Pete's Eats and as usual the place was packed full.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1896 on: November 12, 2017, 04:36:36 pm »
Llanberis Lake walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1897 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:56 pm »
Mr H took these two nice pics today on a walk which was a circuit over Y Garn from Nant Peris.
The first one is taken from Y Garn looking towards the Llyn Peninsula.
The second one looking towards Llanberis.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1898 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:30 pm »
Nice photos Hollins and the conditions looked good as I would have thought that there may have been a scattering of snow on the peaks.
I remember doing a similar walk from Nant Peris and following the river up to Llyn Y Cwn and then on to Y Garn and back down on the other side.  I remember the first section was very steep indeed

Offline hollins

« Reply #1899 on: November 16, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
Yes, you are right Hugo. That is just the walk they did.
They had their lunch by Llyn Y Cwn and they were joined there by a hungry raven that enjoyed Sainsbury's granola slices!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1900 on: December 03, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »
After reading about Penrhynside and Mull. Helig and Jelly Baby's connection with the village I thought that it would be nice to have a walk through the village so I met Tellytubby in the Co-op  car park and set off up the cycle track to Pentre Road.   Now that the leaves have fallen from the trees the old spooky house didn't look so spooky anymore.  I must admit that I puffed and panted my way up those steep steps and I was glad when I got to Pendre Road for a bit of a rest.
I've got some fond memories of the village too and anyone my age or older may remember the Toast Rack trams that came up through Bodafon Fields and the tram conductor would announce the stop by Pendre Lane as the stop for the Holy City.  The small village had 4 Chapels and then added a Church for good measure.    About 900 Holy seats for only about 300 village bottoms!
We turned left and made a short detour up Bryn Y Gwynt lane to see Tan Y Wal but no work has started on the site since it has been sold.  A few months ago Mull and his wife Lorna and myself were standing by the cottage and could see that it had tremendous potential for the development of a new property and the views from it are superb.
Returning back to the road we passed the Penrhyn Arms where John Bryn Mor a larger than life character and a really nice guy was the licencee some years ago and a bit further on was the Cross Keys where I remember a Mr Wood as being the landlord there in the 1960's.      Continuing down the lane we passed the Saron Chapel which is now a private residence and was up for sale again and then it was onwards and upwards to Pant Y Wennol but just before you get to there you pass the tumbled ruins of a little cottage.   There is little left to see of "Mount Pleasant" which was the family home of Frederick and Emma Hughes and their two daughters until 1954.
After Pant Y Wennol we walked down the lane until we came to Bodafon School and the old school house.   Apparently my friends father was the last Headmaster to live in the school house and I believe that Mull can remember Mr Mason well.   A short walk along Bodafon Road took us to another footpath that led uphill through some delightful woodland and on to Nant Y Gamar.   On our way up we passed the ruins of an old building and I think that it has been mentioned on the forum but I can't remember the story about it.    Once on the top of Nant Y Gamar we walked past the old tower and then downhill until we found a nice spot to stop and have our refreshments before going back to Penrhynside.  Once we got to the village we turned right and passed Pen Y Cae and then descended through steep woodland before making our way to Penrhyn Old Road where we passed Penrhyn Old Hall.   In the field just past the hall is a tall ruined building which is the sad ruin of an early 16th Century private Chapel which was in regular use until 1929, so sad to see buildings like that deteriorating.
At the bottom of the hill we crossed the road carefully and returned to our cars after a short but very pleasant  walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1901 on: December 03, 2017, 03:30:52 pm »
Penrhynside walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1902 on: December 03, 2017, 03:33:03 pm »
Penrhynside walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1903 on: December 10, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
As it was nearing Christmas, six of us met up for a short walk in Moelfre  Anglesey, followed by a meal at The Bull in Pentraeth.    We parked our cars in the free car park and walked along the path by the side of the stream to get to the sea front.    A quick look at a modern house conversion that featured on Robson Green's TV programme and then we made our way along the coastal path to the new Lifeboat Station as we haven't been inside the place since it was built.
Those volunteers who man the lifeboats are incredibly brave people risking their lives to save others and on our way to the Lifeboat house we had just passed a statue of the late great Dic Evans a Coxwain, who with his crew saved 8 lives when the Hindlea sank off the cliffs of Moelfre in 1959
After passing the terrace of fishermen's cottages we passed the spot where the Hindlea came to grief and near there is the monument to the Royal Charter which sank on the rocks off Moelfre with the sad loss of over 400 lives nearly exactly 100 years before the Hindlea sank near the same spot.
When we came to the Caravan Park we took the public footpath back to the car park.   We passed a small car park by the beach and as it is a pay and display one, out of curiosity I looked at the charges and was surprised to see that the charge was £6.00 for parking all day.   Less than 100 yards away behind the cafe is the free parking space which is a lot bigger and has toilet facilities too but I wonder if the visitors know about it.
By the time we got to the car park we were ready for a meal and headed off to the Bull where we all had a carvery meal and a pint and enjoyed a catch up on everything.   The meal at £7.50 is great value and I would recommend it to anyone

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1904 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:59 pm »
Moelfre walk