Author Topic: Walking  (Read 841220 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #1470 on: January 05, 2015, 09:43:21 am »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1471 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:44 pm »
Wednesday's torrential rain and gale force winds didn't deter us from doing our planned walk in Llanberis, but we did put on our Winter gear just in case.   We had seen the walk on the TV and the Weatherman Walking route appealed to us as we had not seen some of the places before.  We started the walk from the far end of Llanberis and walked alongside the swollen waters of Llyn Padarn until we came to the signpost for Dolbadarn Castle and then we crossed the bridge over the fast flowing river to get to it. Little remains now but the keep was impressive and we climbed up the spiral staircase of the 4 storey building.   Retracing our steps to the road, we were walking along the road when a large Buzzard flew onto the top of a street light and gave a great opportunity for Pete to take a photo which I hope can appear on the forum under Wildlife.     We then walked past the National Slate Museum and had a look at the Vivian Quarry which is popular now with scuba divers who practise their diving in the deep blue waters of the lake there.  We didn't stay there long before heading off to the Quarry Hospital which sits in a prominent position about half way along Padarn Lake.  The hospital was for the men who worked in the quarry in the 19th and 20th century and was sited there so that the men could get back to work as soon as possible!     It's a lovely old building with beautifully shaped chimneys and at the end of the garden is the mortuary for those poor souls who died there.
From there there was a steepish climb through Sessile Oak woodlands until you reach the large slate tips which are an incredible sight and are the end product of a very wasteful industry.  A staggering 80-90 % of slate mined there was wasted!
Crossing the road we made our way to the incline and descended very steeply down the tram tracks until we came to the Anglesey Barracks where workers from the Island stayed during their working week. A quick look around there and then we were off downhill again to the old brake house where we then crossed over an old iron footbridge where we had stunning views over the surrounding area.
Then it was steeply downhill zigzagging down a path that was bordered by a very impressive slate wall that came out near the Slate Museum. From there we headed back to our cars but firstly stopping at Pete's Eats where a nice coffee and tasty and sizable piece of carrot cake went down very well.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/weatherman-walking/walks/Llanberis.pdf

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1472 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:19 pm »
Llanberis walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1473 on: January 16, 2015, 03:43:26 pm »
Super photos Hugo that tell the story of your walk so well. Thanks.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1474 on: January 16, 2015, 03:52:28 pm »
Thanks very much for your kind words Hollins,    I bet my carrot cake wasn't a patch though on those delicious looking cakes that you always seem to be having in Switzerland.       $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #1475 on: January 16, 2015, 04:51:25 pm »
Been good this time. These didn't seem quite so tempting for some reason!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1476 on: January 23, 2015, 04:08:53 pm »
Yesterday, when we picked Wayne up in Llanfair PG we thought that we had made the right decision by dressing in our Winter walking gear for yesterday's walk, as the roof tops were still frozen after the previous nights frost .  We then made our way up to the north of Anglesey and parked in a lay by  near to an old farmhouse.  From there we followed a fast flowing stream that took us to the pebbly bay of Hen Porth which looked so lovely in the Winter sunshine, the only downside was the fact that the Wylfa Nuclear power station was visible in the distance and could always be seen along this stretch of coast. After taking some photos we carried on in a westerly direction along the undulating cliff top walk and
it wasn't long before we realised what a warm and beautiful wind less day it was and then the fleece hat came off, quickly followed by the gloves and anoraks.    It still felt very warm but it was an enjoyable walk along a very attractive coastline and we soon reached the White Ladies.  The two white ladies are in fact 3, 45ft tall markers in a line, two on the cliff top near Carmel Head, and the third on the small island of West Mouse. They point to the coal rock, a sea level rock further out than the small island of  West Mouse. Coal rock can just be seen on the lowest tides and is 1.5 miles offshore. There are also two other rocks in the area, all marked with black buoys.
We decided to have our refreshments nearby and sat near the cliff edge and had a look over to the Skerries while enjoying our refreshments.   The currents between the Skerries and where we were are absolutely treacherous and we watched a small motor boat crossing through the water and against these currents and at times the boat was making no headway whatsoever but eventually it did get through.
After enjoying our drinks and food we then headed uphill and inland and followed a newly made track back downhill to the car passing a large lake en route. We couldn't make out the purpose of such a grand track or who would possibly have done it but there must have been some reason for it but it must have cost a packet.
After reaching the car we then drove down to Cemlyn Bay and had a walk on the headland and a look at the lagoon before heading to Four Mile Bridge where a hot chocolate and slice of coffee cake went down very well.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1477 on: January 23, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
Cemlyn Bay

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1478 on: January 24, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1479 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:58 am »
And another rescued last week - same place and same kit. Incredibly thoughtless. Perhaps if they were charged for being rescued things might change - although I'm not sure how you could implement such a system.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1480 on: January 25, 2015, 11:57:16 am »
I don't think that there is any way a charge could be implemented but I can't imagine for one second that those thoughtless morons would consider making a donation to the Mountain Rescue team that saved them.
Those volunteers put their own lives at risk when they go out on these rescues and the Brecon Mountain rescue team were lucky to escape serious injury when their land rover overturned recently on snow and ice when they were  out on a rescue mission.
I can't praise high enough the Mountain Rescue teams, the RNLI and other groups that go out in all sorts of weather to rescue others.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1481 on: January 25, 2015, 04:48:28 pm »
"Emergency Services, which service do you require, Fire, Police, Ambulance, Mountain Rescue or Coastguard,  and please may I have your Debit or Credit Card number?"
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1482 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
i don,t think that anyone goes out with the intention of being rescued, it is ignorance and really bad luck on the part of most people that have to get rescued, thank god we have some brave and courageous people to do the job. These heroes don,t do it for remuneration and i,ll bet most of there families make donations to the rescue teams.Those of you that go on the mountain walks know how easy it is to twist an ankle or break a limb in places were the rescue teams are the only way of getting back to safety, how would you feel if they said £30  or we leave you here, If the people who get rescued want to make a donation all well and good .( Did,nt know i could rant on for so long must be after some LIKES)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1483 on: January 25, 2015, 10:50:40 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with you on most of your comments and I would suspect that the various rescue teams would too.     It's up to the individual  but after being rescued I would have thought that they could at least make a token voluntary donation to that  service that rescued them  just to show their appreciation and help to ensure that the service can be maintained for others  in the future.
Accidents can happen to anyone, but with some of these idiots, it is an accident waiting to happen
I've copied this extract about a sailor that was in the news in 2013  "  An incompetent sailor dubbed Captain Calamity has been arrested by police after coastguards were called to rescue him at sea for the 10th time in a month."
This was at a cost of £20,000,  thankfully due to the RNLI  he was rescued each time but sadly there are no laws to prevent this fool from going out to sea in his boat again.   

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1484 on: January 25, 2015, 11:21:22 pm »
there is always the exception to the rule and this man must have been thinking each time he went out in the boat that he would not make the same mistakes again, having him arrested may have done the trick and convinced him he was a nut.