Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822268 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1785 on: October 19, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
Today I met up with a friend and we were going to do a walk from the picnic table area in Llyn Geirionydd and up along the forest track to Llyn Crafnant, around the lake and then back over to Llyn Geirionydd,
My friend was thinking of doing the Snowdonia Half Marathon so I drove from Llanrwst up through Gwydr Forest and we took the lane to Geirionydd via Llanrhychwyn.   That lane is narrow and steep but eventually we came to high ground above the Crafnant Valley and stopped to take some photos of a Rainbow that hung over the valley and then carried on down to Llyn Geirionydd.
The rain had gradually increased and my friend got soaked just opening the gates for me to drive through. When we were alongside the lake we had to slowly drive behind some cattle who were in no hurry to move and at one time the two largest ones had a fight in the road and I was a bit concerned whether they would charge at the car or not.   The rain became heavier and the windows inside the car just steamed up as we  couldn't drive past the animals but I've included a photo of the two beasts.    By the time we were able to pass them and get to the picnic tables the rain had become much heavier so we abandoned all thoughts of a walk and drove home instead, just stopping once to take a photo that Steve will be familiar with.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1786 on: October 19, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »
Worth it for the fab rainbow photo but sorry you missed your walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1787 on: October 19, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »
Thankyou Hugo, great photos, sorry the weather spoilt your plans,  when you mentioned the narrow lane it brought back memories, when we first viewed the property we loved it, but the narrow lane and gates were a problem as I had to get a seven and a half tonner up there, fortunatly with a bit of tree surgery (thats another story) I mangage to drive the better route from Llanwrst, still tight, especially on the bends, not to mention those drivers who expected the truck to reverse into the passing places, I only got stuck once in 15years, half way up by the cottages .....ice....I blocked the road for two hours, not very popular.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1788 on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:54 pm »
There is always another day Hollins,  it is so nice up there that I'm sure that I'll be back there soon.     $good$

Steve was the lucky one to live in that area and didn't need to drive up those winding narrow lanes to see the place.   

Just read your posting Steve and admire you for your driving skills up those lanes.  I bet you were popular on that day    &shake&
I met a few vehicles on the way but by chance we were by the old Chapel and reversing was easy in my small car.
Just in case you are interested the route of the half marathon starts in the car park by Llanrwst Bridge and goes up the hill through the forest to Llanrhychwen and Geirionydd. 
Then it's up the forest track at the southern end of Geirionydd to the eastern end of Llyn Crefnant.
Once around the lake then down the steep lane towards Trefriw where you turn right and head up a horrendously steep hill to Llanrhychwen then return to Llanrwst along the lane you had come up earlier.
There are vacancies for you and action man in 2017 if you are interested     ;D
I won't be going in it as I was tired just driving along the route.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1789 on: October 22, 2016, 07:24:26 pm »
We didn't intend to have a walk today as  Tellytubby and I just went to Caernarfon to take advantage of the free entrance fee to the Castle and to see the Weeping Poppy window.
Finding a free parking near to the castle was also a bonus  in this busy town and I was amazed at the inside of this iconic castle once we got inside it. 
I can't remember going in the building before so everything was new to me and we spent a couple of hours looking around the place and going up and down the many towers in the castle.  You could spend a whole day there and not see everything.
It was very busy so we left the castle and crossed over the river on the swing bridge  and then walked up the straits and had our lunch by a caravan park.  After lunch we headed back to the swing bridge and there we met a problem.   There was a fault on the bridge and it was closed to pedestrians. We were told that the problem would take two hours to sort out and the only answer was a two mile detour which we did and then got back to the car just as the Welsh Highland Railway locomotive was setting off to Porthmadog with it's nine carriages.  A quick photo and then we were off home, stopping at Aber on the way to finish off a nice day with a coffee and cake.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1790 on: October 22, 2016, 07:26:45 pm »
Caernarfon Castle Weeping Poppy Window

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1791 on: November 04, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
On Wednesday we went to Dolwyddelan to have a nice and easy circular walk along the river to Pont Y Pant and back.   We parked our cars opposite the Church and had a good look inside the lovely old building and then we crossed the river and railway bridge before following the Afon Lledr downstream to Pont Y Pant.      We were very fortunate as the weather was perfect for walking and the visibility was excellent.   As we ambled alongside the river Moel Siabod looked very impressive as it towered above us and the trees were changing colour and it wasn't long before we reached Pont Y Pant.  There we had a chat about whether to carry on down towards Betws Y Coed and catch the train back to Dolwyddelan.  but the only snag was that Uncle Albert had forgotten his bus pass (and his razor by the look of it) so we decided to go uphill and follow the forestry track back to Dolwyddelan.
A short but steep section brought us on to the track and we followed it until we came to a place where we could sit and have lunch.  We were quite high up above the valley at this point and the views were superb.   Moel Siabod stood out as did the Snowdon Horseshoe and the pointed peak of Yr Aran  looked very striking.    After lunch we carried on back to the village and made a detour to see Elen's  Well which is just behind the large former Methodist Chapel.    It was a short but easy walk and we were lucky enough to see the valley in its Autumn glory

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1792 on: November 04, 2016, 02:43:23 pm »
Dolwyddelan to Pont Y Pant walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1793 on: November 04, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »
The colours seem better than ever this year Hugo. Lovely photos.
I took these on a walk through the woods the other day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1794 on: November 04, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »
I agree with you Hollins, the colours do seem better this year, perhaps it is because October was quite dry compared to previous years.    The Lledr Valley where we walked is full of colour at this time of the year but on the Betws Y Coed side of Pont Y Pant the leaf colouring was even better.
I prefer walking through deciduous woodland than the conifer woodland and in one of your photos you can see that the leaves are falling quickly now.   It'll only take a few strong winds and then all the leaves will have gone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1795 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:20 am »
What I said about  the leaves falling in the strong winds is happening right now.  It's very windy in Colwyn Bay at the moment and the leaves are falling quickly, the sea looks stormy too and high tide isn't forecast until after 1.00 pm today.
Tomorrow morning. gales are forecast for a few hours, so by the end of the week most of the leaves around here will have fallen off the trees

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1796 on: December 04, 2016, 04:34:44 pm »
Yesterday, two friends and I enjoyed a nice easy circular walk of just over 6 miles in Anglesey,  We started the walk in the car park in Pentraeth and followed the public footpath down to Red Wharf Bay and once on the shoreline we headed in the direction of Llanddona.   We crossed a couple of lovely small bridges and a memorial to Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd who died in battle in this area and then walked along the edge of the sand and the marsh.    It was nearly high tide so we were able to see a lot of bird life on the water's edge but they quickly flew away when we attempted to get nearer for a better photo.
After a small wooden beach house we turned right up a lane and had our refreshments in a sheltered spot just below the forest, then continued uphill and followed the footpath through the bottom section of the forest until we arrived back at the spot where the two nice bridges were.    We then traced our path back to the car park in Pentraeth and then stopped at Menai Bridge to take photos of the suspension bridge.
It was nice to get out again and enjoy good comp in such a beautiful area

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1797 on: December 04, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »
Red Wharf Bay

Offline mull

« Reply #1798 on: December 04, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
You lucky people enjoying good weather.
Just dull and miserable up here and i am still not allowed to walk on rough ground.
Another 4 weeks and I hope to be up and running with the dog again.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1799 on: December 05, 2016, 11:25:36 am »
You lucky people enjoying good weather.
Just dull and miserable up here and i am still not allowed to walk on rough ground.
Another 4 weeks and I hope to be up and running with the dog again.

You have my every sympathy Mull and I hope you are up and running again very soon. It's especally poignant at the moment as I'm off to Gobowen on Wednesday to get my right knee replaced, so we will both have to take it easy over Christmas. Get well soon.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)