Author Topic: Surf Snowdonia  (Read 14395 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Surf Snowdonia
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:38 am »
Interesting to see the Surf Snowdonia project on BBC Breakfast, looks like it will be a great success!  Looking at their  website http://www.surfsnowdonia.co.uk it is interesting to see about the cafe all up and running in no time at all. 100 new jobs created, should do wonders for Dolgarrog.  $good$    On the other hand we have the utter farce of the skip! &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Surf Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:50:57 am »
It's tempting to imagine Surf Snowdonia if it had been designed and created by CCBC (suggestions welcome :-).

Say what you like about the private sector but if the management's right they certainly get things done. Little bit disappointed that their website (as far as I could see) doesn't mention Llandudno.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
Surf Snowdonia does look mighty impressive. Colleagues have been a bit critical of the price.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:19:25 am »
Yes;  I noticed they were pretty steep but I suppose they have to make the money in a relatively short period each year. Can't imagine there'll be too many queueing up between October and February - although I could be wrong. Hard-core enthusiasts will come whatever the weather, I suppose.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:24:40 am »
It's tempting to imagine Surf Snowdonia if it had been designed and created by CCBC (suggestions welcome :-).
Something like this, I imagine:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
 _))* _))* _))* _))* _))*

I doff my hat, sir:-)))))))))

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:25 am »
They'll definitely have to cut prices for winter to attract more customers In my humble opinion. It's a private business so I'm doubtful there will be any "Conwy Card" discount (speaking of which, I've heard b*gger all about that lately.)
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:42:41 am »
I hear that the co-founder and CEO of Google, Larry Page, was at Surf Snowdonia yesterday.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:49:01 am »
Is there no end to these illegal immigrants?

:(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:58:12 am »
Tom: about 22 years ago a group of local business leaders brought together by David Hughes under the auspices of the Llandudno Heritage Trust met at the George to discuss producing an advertising booklet for visitors in which would be many discount vouchers for local businesses. The group was very enthusiastic about the idea, and nothing more was ever done.

Some time (about 12 years) ago I suggested a scheme whereby the larger shops in Mostyn St would fund a delivery-to-hotel service for items bought while people were on holiday here. Each shop that offered the service would bag and tag each item, then pop them all in a storage area for collection. At around 1600 each day a van would make the rounds of those shops participating in the scheme, take all the items to a sorting point, then distribute them to the appropriate hotels. The scheme could even be run by a local Charity, which would cut the costs for the participators and help out the charity. Quite a few people expressed interest, and nothing was ever done.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:06 pm »
[/i]
Say what you like about the private sector but if the management's right they certainly get things done. Little bit disappointed that their website (as far as I could see) doesn't mention Llandudno.

After a quick look at their site, ..........they can accommodate 144 people, I don't think they will be pushing alternatives this early........maybe it is up to the Llandudno Hotels to get together and offer a shuttle bus.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 06:02:02 pm »
Little bit disappointed that their website (as far as I could see) doesn't mention Llandudno.

Why should their website mention Llandudno?  I doubt very much that any of the websites for Llandudno's attractions mention Dolgarrog but I've never heard express disappointment at that.  Also it's a surf resort and Llandudno is hardly a place with any connection to surfing, other than the fact that most of it's visitors are old enough to remember the Beach Boys.  It briefly mentions a few "surf" resorts like Aberdaron and Rhosneigr which is fair enough given their target market.  If anything I'd like to see a bit more info on the Conwy Valley given that where it's located but ultimately their website is there for the purpose of promoting themselves and not their surroundings.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:36 pm »
Why should their website mention Llandudno?  Ultimately their website is there for the purpose of promoting themselves and not their surroundings.

Ah, but they are promoting their surroundings; just not Llandudno. Under "Info" it has "local Area" where they mention Snowdonia, extol the virtues of walking and climbing and mention Rhosneigr, Aberdaron, Porth Ceiriad "and a few hidden gems for those who like to avoid a crowd".

I'd personally have thought it made a lot of sense to at least mention Llandudno, with its wealth of shopping opportunities, accommodation and dare I say the odd beach? All those are added enticements to surfers, who might like something a little better than a log hut in which to stay and would also be informed of what's around.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 04:55:31 pm »
We paid a visit to Surf Snowdonia today and even in the rain it looked very impressive.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:17 pm »
Did you do any surfing there?