Author Topic: Surf Snowdonia  (Read 14384 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Surf Snowdonia
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 09:36:55 am »
I suppose the answer may depend upon how much of the £12m is their own money.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 10:03:04 am »
I suppose the answer may depend upon how much of the £12m is their own money.
Very true, I believe the Welsh Government contributed £4m but then declined a further request for money made as recently as June:
http://gov.wales/about/cabinet/decisions/2015/jul-sep/business/eh1804/?lang=en

This is an interesting article about Surf Snowdonia's inception:
http://magicseaweed.com/news/the-wavegarden-at-surf-snowdonia-will-open-in-july/7154/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 11:24:55 am »
It's a remarkable achievement and a great place to while away an hour or so just watching.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »
This is on Facebook, hope their financies can survive!

****TUESDAY UPDATE****
****DIWEDDARIAD DYDD MAWRTH 6/10/15****
Afternoon all - Prynhawn da pawb
We have some very disappointing news to update you with today.
We have taken the decision to close early for the winter season. The closure is effective immediately, and brings forward our planned winter closure by eight weeks.
Since we opened on the 1st August this year our Wavegarden technology has been affected by a number of mechanical faults. As a result we have been forced to temporarily close on three separate occasions.
Our most recent breakdown is due to a serious failure of the main drive mechanism of our wave generating machinery. Engineers from Wavegarden estimate that it will take a minimum of three months to repair.
This is a very disappointing day for us all at Surf Snowdonia, and we know it’s especially difficult for our excellent staff and for those of you who have booked to come surfing with us. We are in the process of notifying all our customers who have booked sessions and we will refund all payments in full.
During the winter closure period we will be making further investment in order to improve our surf lagoon and broaden our offer.
By spring of 2016 we hope to open for our first full season with an improved offer. We also hope to re-employ many of the excellent people who have worked with us this season.
We are absolutely committed to making Surf Snowdonia the fantastic success we know it can be, so watch this space.
Thanks for all of your support, it has been much appreciated.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »
Our most recent breakdown is due to a serious failure of the main drive mechanism of our wave generating machinery.

It's very sad, but it does clearly show the risks in being a first.  Curious, though; the WaveGarden company says this is an extremely reliable method of wave creation and that the design of the sled was arrived at through years of work by 'highly qualified engineers'. For such a critical section to have broken seems dicey engineering, at best.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 07:47:13 pm »
As I said before a few weeks ago, moving that much water requires a lot of energy, must be a massive strain on parts of the machinery!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:01 am »
Undoubtedly. But you'd have thought they'd have built it with that stress firmly in mind. I suppose it might have been a catastrophic failure, of course.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:24 am »
Perhaps the builders of the mechanism are still learning how strong it needs to be, I wonder if they have to pay compensation to Surf Snowdonia for loss of income? I hope they have better luck next year, it is a great asset to the area!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
I've always been a bit sceptical as to how, even when operating at full capacity, it could make the profits needed to justify its £12m cost. I just can't see how the figures add up.

I also noticed when I last visited how brown the water looked, surely it should be filtered and cleaned?

Lots more about the technology here:
http://www.wavegarden.com/lang/en-us/economics/investment

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:22 pm »
  Get about a bit don't you Dave? Quote "on my last visit." So presumably that means you have been more than once---and its only been open a few weeks.  (I'm just a miserable jealous old git)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:50 pm »
I have been several times, never seen anything else like it!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 07:14:47 am »
We popped over and stayed for a couple of hours.  We spent a lot of time simply walking round the lagoon.  Fascinating place.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 10:48:31 am »
  Get about a bit don't you Dave? Quote "on my last visit." So presumably that means you have been more than once---and its only been open a few weeks.  (I'm just a miserable jealous old git)
:laugh: I've only been there twice, its a good stopoff point when travelling down the valley.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:46 am »
Surf Snowdonia will be reopening in April. Let's hope it has a trouble-free year!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/surf-snowdonia-starts-fresh-recruitment-10877648

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 11:06:16 pm »
I went past there today and saw it for the first time and must admit that it was much better than I had ever expected. Let's hope everything runs more smoothly this year.