Author Topic: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew  (Read 49486 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 06:00:38 pm »
If you put "British History online" in Google and then go into the site.  Put Llanrhos in and you'll see an old map of Pydew.
The School is by Gilfach and must have been earlier that the one in the village centre.
Those school house cottages look really nice now and my friend has been inside them when they became private houses.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »
Those school house cottages look really nice now and my friend has been inside them when they became private houses.

I think school cottages had been done up by 1978 (the second time we moved to Pydew).  I've not been inside them but externally, I think it was quite a transformation.

As kids, there used to be a house we called "haunted house". It was past the chapel and in the row that ended with Sea View. It was just in a terrible state of disrepair and nothing (other than kids for a while trying to scare one another) really creepy about it.  The old school cottages on the other hand did look spooky to me.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 06:18:12 pm »
Skerryvore has a prominent position in the village and my father used to talk about it as he knew the person who lived there at the time.  I just wish now that I could remember what he said about the place

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48851840.html

Offline squiggle

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:38 pm »
Skerryvore has a prominent position in the village and my father used to talk about it as he knew the person who lived there at the time.  I just wish now that I could remember what he said about the place

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48851840.html

Skerryvore has been done up and extended since we lived there.  The views will be pretty much the same though. In the garden, outside the porch, I could read the writing on the cabin lift in Llanduno with binoculars.  Going anticlockwise you could see about as far as the (I think) Pen Y Clip tunnel.  That sweep would include part of Anglesey but I don't believe the Skerries would be included.

Views of Snowdonia from the bedrooms. I think Pen Llithrig y Wrach was the most prominent mountain from there. 

The people I remember living there when we first moved to Pydew were one of the many Mr and Mrs Jones (Mr and Mrs Jones Skerryvore naturally...)

Skerryvore is supposed to have had a tea garden at some point.

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 04:40:46 pm »
Weren`t there wells in Bryn Pydew?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:53 pm »
I think there is a clue in the name.   Bryn -  Hill
                                                        Pydew - Well

But seriously. there are lots of wells in that area.   The main well I was told was in the grounds of Granllyn in the centre of the village but there are a few more very near to Granllyn

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »
Thank you.  Would be nice to have a pub tea room again in Bryn Pydew for walkers and cyclists.  Something like the Queens Head, but with a better view. 

Offline squiggle

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2015, 12:46:24 am »
Thank you.  Would be nice to have a pub tea room again in Bryn Pydew for walkers and cyclists.  Something like the Queens Head, but with a better view.

Not sure Pydew really has the passing trade?  My speculation with a Skerryvore tea garden tends more towards a hobby than a serious business concern to keep the place going on its own?

Moving back a post or two.  I don't know about wells despite (twice round) probably living in Pydew over 20 years and for most of that time knowing pydew means "well".

I'm not a Welsh speaker (and as stated before, Shropshire born) but do wonder what this/these wells were - man made or natural?  I do know another Welsh word ffynnon and wonder if the latter would be a better fit for something natural???

Personally, we found no wells at either Old Swan or Skerryvore although there was a patch of ground that  puzzled us at the latter.  There was a circle  that attracted more moss, on the left of the drive as you approach the house - largely an area, at least in my time where cowslips were abundant but as most of the land was, ,scratching, quickly reached the limestone beneath (little depth of soil).  I'd think it was just the way water ran and drained from the drive.

The only natural sort of thing I'm thinking I know is further away.  If you go down Bodysgallen woods and when you reach a sort of right hand twist in the track, you can instead of going to the hall and farm, cross a field and head down what I was told is called the nun's stepps before reaching Marl.  I believe there is a spring there?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2015, 09:33:38 am »
There were two tea rooms in Coedlodd Lane many years ago but I'm afraid that there wouldn't be sufficient trade  to make one viable nowadays.
Have a look at British History online and put in Llanrhos and scroll down to Pydew.  You can see  wells at Cae Cwnws and Lletty'r gath ( lovely name)  but the one I think you are talking about is Jacob's Ladder.
Haven't been there myself but will make a point of seeing it sometime.
I think that there are more springs or wells about though as I've seen them on other maps

Offline squiggle

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2015, 10:46:08 am »
There were two tea rooms in Coedlodd Lane many years ago but I'm afraid that there wouldn't be sufficient trade  to make one viable nowadays.
Have a look at British History online and put in Llanrhos and scroll down to Pydew.  You can see  wells at Cae Cwnws and Lletty'r gath ( lovely name)  but the one I think you are talking about is Jacob's Ladder.
Haven't been there myself but will make a point of seeing it sometime.
I think that there are more springs or wells about though as I've seen them on other maps

Thanks for the info. I've found them on the map.  What does "Lletty'r" translate to?

I don't know the name "Jacob's Ladder" but would imagine you are correct and that we are thinking of the same spot.  I have walked that way quite a few times as one of the possible routes on foot (you can also walk past Galchog (?sp) to cut a corner off the road way) to/from the Junction sort of area but have never stopped there to look for a sort of source.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:13 pm »
Llety  means lodgings but I think in this context it was the resting place of the cat.     I'll have a look on info about Jacob'd ladder by Marl when I get back from the Queens Head in Glanwydden.        $dins$

Offline squiggle

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:27 pm »
Llety  means lodgings but I think in this context it was the resting place of the cat.     I'll have a look on info about Jacob'd ladder by Marl when I get back from the Queens Head in Glanwydden.        $dins$

Hope you have a good meal.  It's 15+ years since I've eaten there but the food at least used to be very good.

Thanks for the translation. I like it.  I actually live in England in a house with a Welsh name (in English, small wood) but Lletty'r Gath would probably be more apt.  We've currently got two found as feral kittens that have been with us well over 10 years, a seemingly untameable tom who I think has always been wild who calls in for breakfast and supper and had a few others at various times.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:43 pm »
We did enjoy the meal at the Queens Head thanks,  it has always been good every time I've been there.

Just had a very quick look for Jacob's Ladder in Marl Woods and this came up and shows the well or spring.  Scroll down to page 20 to see it and others.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFAQFjAIahUKEwjCypKGjp3JAhXBtxQKHYFRAK4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.herwales.co.uk%2Fher%2Fgroups%2FGAT%2Fmedia%2FNon_GAT_Reports%2FEASreport_2002_26_compressed.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFl3JFtdbD-nc3IYOJXCK2qCAkLtA&bvm=bv.107763241,d.bGQ

Offline Jack

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
Hi Hugo and Squiggle, I often walk up Jacob's Ladder on my regular walk around Marl, Bodysgallen, Llanrhos and the Vardre. It is beautiful in Spring with all the wild garlic growing up it and smells divine.  At the top is the spring, and although it is often full of empty beer cans it is quite a nice spot. There is a Woodland Trust interpretation panel around there too with extra information.

Off topic slightly there is another Well, St Mary's Well, on the footpath from Llanrhos Church to the Vardre. Kevin Slattery from the excellent Deganwy History Group has done quite a lot of research on it, which can be seen here: http://www.deganwyhistory.co.uk/research-articles/st-marys-well-crogfryn-lane-llanrhos/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
Thanks for posting that Jack and the link about Ffynnon Santes Fair.    I remember reading and enjoying your walk when you went from Marl to Llanrhos and your posting of that grave in Llanrhos  Church.     Did you take a photo of Jacob's Ladder when you did that walk?
The restoration work  on Ffynnon Santes Fair was really good and the water was flowing quite quickly when I last saw it.