Author Topic: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew  (Read 49529 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 01:07:12 pm »
Bebull, it was lovely to read your reminiscences of your mother's garden and then seeing the photos.
I hope the present owners of the house are looking in.
How interesting that would be for them.

Offline Bebull

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2017, 02:46:26 pm »
Thank you Hollins - lots of good memories are flooding back.  I think another visit is overdue. 

Offline Jack

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
Thanks Bebull, really enjoyed your photos and story  :)

Offline hiraeth

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2017, 10:06:50 am »
From squiggle.  A few comments for Bebull

The pond had been filled in before we moved  to Old Swan/White Orchard in the mid 60s.

I remember a Mrs Hughes in Gwilfryn. She died during the time we lived in Swan.  The house was then bought by Ioreth Jones.

The couple you met in Swan would have been Mr and Mrs Wilson. Mr Wilson died a few years ago but Mrs Wilson still lives there.

Offline Bebull

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2017, 05:58:11 pm »
Thank you Squiggle.  Have just returned from holiday so have only just seen this.  So glad to hear that Mrs Wilson is still there.  I am going to try and visit Pydew as soon as I can.  I believe one of the children in the group photo is still there - maybe there are more?  I remember Mrs Hughes as a quiet, kind lady and her daughter - Jinny - was good fun.  I think she worked in Llandudno and I have a photo of her in costume for an amateur theatrical production.  She will  be  well into her eighties now.

Offline hiraeth

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2017, 01:26:42 am »
Hi again Bebull. Again from squiggle:

We can't shine any light on the group photo.

I could be wrong but I think that there was a Nia in Mrs Hughes family, I guess possibly a grand daughter. She was supposed to be very good at and very into amateur dramatics so perhaps there is a tie in there.

Btw, I've just (to the best of memory...) tried to be "factual" with my comments to you. It is really nice to "meet" someone else who has walked up the garden on to the "mountain". Did you start the short track or was it there before? I remember as kids that we, armed with secateurs, did clear some stuff but the way was there.  Thanks also or the photos and info. It does tie tings together.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:30 pm »
Squiggle,   I had a phone call this morning from a forum member and we had a long and very interesting conversation about Bryn Pydew and the people living there.

It was just fascinating listening to him telling me all about the village, its history and the people.    He has lived in the village all his life, over 70 years and remembers you and your family very well and he.ll be able to fill in bits about the Swan for you and I really enjoyed listening to him telling me about the place.

There is a lot to tell but I won't spoil it and will look forward to him posting all about it on here.   I don't think that there will be any one living  in the village now who has a better knowledge of the village.   I have distant relatives in the village and he was even able to tell me about them which I never knew before so I'm looking forward  to reading his posts.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »
Sounds interesting, Hugo,

I'm trying to work out the ages with me 57 now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
Sounds interesting, Hugo,

I'm trying to work out the ages with me 57 now.

You should be able to work it out squiggle, it's not unusual.        ;D

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »
Probably should Hugo. A funny thing with me and Pydew is that when I think of older people,  it tends to be say Bryn's (Maelgwyn) nain (Mrs Jones, Islwyn  or Keith's (for one at Fron) nain and taid (Bryn Tirion) etc...  Of course even in my spells there, time itself moved on...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »
Sounds like the green, green grass of home to me.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2017, 07:58:11 pm »
In some ways, maybe it is that for me, Hugo

My views have varied over the years sometimes disliking bits,  but with current head, I'd go back to our first time round late 60/70s Pydew tomorrow.  I suppose I think now, for better or worse, of the community that was there and things i didn't see growing up eg. miles of playground as being quite lucky. The excitement of Pydew Rovers FC, a couple of concerts, eg. Hoguair Wyddfa in my early days....

So yes, I think currently I do have some nostalgia for the village and doubt I'd be here otherwise... 

But on the other hand, even i there was a way, i doubt the 21C Pydew is for me.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2017, 08:26:38 pm »
It is a different Pydew now to your time there.  Some houses have gone only to be replaced by massive buildings that wouldn't have been allowed years ago, but it is still a beautiful place.
When I was talking to the forum member this morning it was fascinating listening to his tales of village life over the years and he's got a lot of info on the Swan as you'll find out soon.
Believe me, you'll enjoy the things he has to say

Offline Hugo

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »
I've not heard anything since my conversation with the Bryn Pydew resident but will pass on a message for him and see what happens.
You may know the person, but your parents most certainly will and he can tell you all about the Swan and its history.

Offline olseadog

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2018, 04:41:51 pm »
Hello Folks,

I was amazed to come across  this forum after just googling Old Swan, Bryn Pydew.

My parents bought and lived in Old Swan in the early 1960' s. I must have only been about 6 or 7 years old when we moved there, so I am guessing it was around 1962 or '63. I think we lived there only a few years, moving to Chester about 1966 which suggests my family sold Old Swan to squigglev2. We were certainly there in 1965 as I can recall listening to the radio in the kitchen at breakfast time to the reports of Winston Churchill dying.

By 1967 we had relocated to Buckinghamshire, later Hampshire and have subsequently spent the last  30 years in Cornwall, so my brief time as a young lad in Pydew seems a very distant memory.

I do recall some noteable things, such as walking to school at Glanwydden through the snow of 1963 which was deep. I often played with a great friend who my late parents told me we were inseparable, was Jane Thomas the daughter of the MP Peter Thomas previously mentioned on this thread. I cannot say how we became friends but perhaps if their family had previously lived at Old Swan, perhaps they had remained in the area. I have an enduring memory of the two of us hiding behind the garden wall and "lobbing" fallen apples from the orchard over the wall and suprising passing residents. I think we got into trouble!

It seems from earlier postings the garden and surroundings was a haven for children. We had our "den" up the paths at the back of the garden and had "look outs" by climbing the trees there. I probably read too much Enid Blyton "Famous Five" books. We also frequently sat on the same large boulder on the "mountain" that has been posted by Bebull in the earlier pics. I think we as youngsters had real freedom to explore and enjoy the rural idyll. Sparce memories, but fond ones.

Sadly, I have only once revisited Pydew, about three years ago and it was as lovely a village then as I remembered as a child. By chance, my wife and I happened to speak with the lady living in Old Swan who wasn't at all surprised that an "old resident" should turn up.