Author Topic: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew  (Read 15632 times)

Cambrian

• Ad Free Member
Re: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
Interesting contribution olseadog.  Peter Thomas and his family did live at the Old Swan in the 1950s and I think they then went to live in Llanbedr y Cennin in the Conwy Valley. He lost the Conway seat in 1966 to Ednyfed Hudson Davies who himself died a few of weeks ago.

squigglev2

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
Thanks  oldseadog .  Yes,. I think we must have got Swan from your family.

Yes. The garden and up to the “mountain” was enjoyed. I’m not sure it was our most common play area for most of my time there though – perhaps growing less so as we got a little bit older. Amongst other things, we would spend a lot of time in the playing fields, often playing an attack and defence type football. One sort of routine I seem to remember for a couple of summer holidays was that the small group (usually 5 of us) would gather at Swan in the morning, then watch a little bit of kids TV before going on to do something else.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
A few months ago I had a very nice chat with a local Pydew resident and you may have had the Swan from him.      I was hoping that he would be posting something on here as he knew all about the Swan and the pub as well as a bakery.   It was fascinating to talk to him and he even gave me info about my relatives in the area.

It would be nice if he posts on here as he knows your family squigglev 2   

squigglev2

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Certainly an interesting thread, Hugo. I could never have imagined that when I first stumbled on the thread and questioned the info in a guide book, that we would so far end up with I think 3 people posting. who have lived in the property and even with similar type thoughts about the garden, etc! 

I think the thread must be quite high on search results as I know that even a brother now in QLD, Australia stumbled on it on a search and, recognising my contribution, emailed me to tell me about it. But it still seems strange that even one other may be googling "Old Swan/ White Orchard, Bryn Pydew".

It would certainly be nice to hear from the person you know although my feeling is that we would not have had Swan from him. It is no more than a feeling but as well as oldseadog's dates making sense and a family moving out of the area seems to make better sense.

Of course my parent's second property (Skerryvore) in the village after a spell in Kent was bought from someone still living it the village, so maybe there is a bit of confusion there???  He btw is actually TIJ but is better known by his middle name.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Of course my parent's second property (Skerryvore) in the village after a spell in Kent was bought from someone still living it the village, so maybe there is a bit of confusion there???  He btw is actually TIJ but is better known by his middle name.

It's the same person squigglev 2  and it's strange you mentioning "White Orchard" as he also told me the story about the name.   I'll try and make contact with him as he would be able to make a valuable contribution to this thread