Author Topic: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay  (Read 30451 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »
I remember it well - I was having a lie in that morning and the Earth certainly moved for me.  :laugh:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »
Sitting in my lounge in Penrhyn Bay at about 2.30 this afternoon I felt a distinct earth tremor that lasted for approximately 4 or 5 seconds.   Anyone else notice it?    ZXZ

I suspect that it will be entirely due to the windfarm piles being driven in.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »
Sitting in my lounge in Penrhyn Bay at about 2.30 this afternoon I felt a distinct earth tremor that lasted for approximately 4 or 5 seconds.   Anyone else notice it?    ZXZ

I suspect that it will be entirely due to the windfarm piles being driven in.
Why would piling cause an earth tremor? It's not fracking, you know! There are around 200 tremors every year in the UK. Interesting fact, the most seismically active area of the UK is North Wales, with the tremors being centered around the Caernarfon area.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:22 pm »
I wouldn't rule it out.

A number of local people have voiced concerns over the years with regard to the geology in Llandudno Bay and beyond.
There has been mention of a rock 'shelf' which, if disturbed, could have a knock on effect in the way the town of Llandudno is protected from tidal swells at North Shore.

Personally, I have no idea about this and I am certain that the windfarm company will have modelled it, if it was any kind of risk.
But... I just wouldn't rule it out.

I say that because when you decide to use extreme force, to hammer repeatedly deep into the seabed, deep enough to anchor vast turbines... and you do that over 200 locations, do we REALLY know for sure what effects might ensue?  ?{}?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »
A number of local people have voiced concerns over the years with regard to the geology in Llandudno Bay and beyond.
There has been mention of a rock 'shelf' which, if disturbed, could have a knock on effect in the way the town of Llandudno is protected from tidal swells at North Shore.
I've never heard anyone say that?!  ?{}?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »
What we heard years ago was that the Constable Bank was protecting Llandudno from those tidal swells that Fester is refering to and that the bank was about 12 miles offshore.
Whether the wind turbines will be placed on the bank then I don't know but I hope they are not just in case they cause problems to the area.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
Odd that. But I have heard it said several times, always during debates about the windfarm and its pro's and cons.
Therefore, I assumed it was a well known fact or commonly held belief by those who were Llandudno born and bred.
Maybe other Forum members could shed light on this?

Working on the pier, the windfarm is a debate that rears its head hundreds of times per season.

Edit.. thanks Hugo, I knew I wasn't going mad.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
Hmmmm....except the Constable Bank is not a 'rock shelf' but a sand bank.  &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »
This was reported in the press in 2008 concerning Constable Bank.   It may not be a rock shelf but it is supposed to be a help to the Llandudno sea defence.

windfarm

Mar 13 2008 by Owen R Hughes, North Wales Weekly News

A HALT has been demanded to the Rhyl Flats windfarm scheme over allegations about misleading the public and concerns about the potential flood risk.

Campaigners presented their case to the Welsh Assembly petitions committee to demand a full public inquiry is undertaken into the npower renewables project to place 30 turbines on Constable Bank, off the coast of Llandudno and Colwyn Bay.

They alleged that the public was not given a proper chance to comment on the plans because of a “deliberate deception” in the original proposal by Celtic Offshore Wind Limited (COWL) over the location of the site.

They also say an independent inquiry is required to assess the environmental impact of the work on Constable Bank and its potential damage to the tourist trade.

The committee will now write to the minister for sustainability and the minister for heritage requesting that independent studies are commissioned.

Save Our Scenery chairman John Lawson Reay said: “We believe this was a planning blunder and that work should be halted while a public inquiry is carried out on this and the Gwynt y Môr proposal.

“We request this as a matter of urgency and want the Assembly to suspend the licence to carry out work on the sea bed until a review has been carried out.

“They deliberately misled the public which led to people being unaware of the true location of this project.”

The Rhyl flats project was developed by COWL, who received full consent in 2002 to operate the scheme. npower purchased the project from COWL in December 2002.

In July 2007, offshore foundation construction at the site began with installation of rocks on the sea bed at the turbine locations to prevent erosion. The first turbines are expected to start generating in November, with completion anticipated in July 2009.

Once operational, the windfarm will produce enough electricity every year to meet the average needs of approximately 61,000 homes.

But the scheme has been dogged by controversy over its location on the Constable Bank and its potential damage to tourism and the bank itself.

AM Darren Millar said: “The North Wales tourism industry is not indestructible and this could cause huge damage in Llandudno, Colwyn Bay and Rhos-on-Sea.

“‘I am also very concerned that the construction of this windfarm could undermine the integrity of the Constable Bank, which has provided our coast with an extremely effective natural flood defence for centuries and more work must be done to ensure this protection will not be destabilised by the work.”

Offline Hugo

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
I was driving through Penrhyn Bay this morning from Colwyn Bay and in Llandudno Road there were at least three Police vehicles outside a property on the left, one of which was a Police Forensic van.
Anyone have any idea of what was going on?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2020, 09:34:21 am »
Nearly 100 tyres were found embedded in sand at low tide on orth Wales beaches.

They were discovered by dog walkers out for a stroll in Penrhyn Bay near the Little Orme on Wednesday.

A further 25 tyres or more were discovered half a mile along the coast at Rhos-on-Sea today.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nearly-100-tyres-found-embedded-19076167

The tyre does'nt look in bad condition ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:38 am »
Sorry Steve but I didn't see your posting when I posted mine under Rhos on Sea.       :-[

I've added a bit to the report from what I remember over many many years ago, possibly over 50 years ago.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2020, 10:35:10 am »
Sorry Steve but I didn't see your posting when I posted mine under Rhos on Sea.       :-[
I've added a bit to the report from what I remember over many many years ago, possibly over 50 years ago.
No problem, this thread not used since 2013. $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2020, 01:20:15 pm »
Those tyres have been there a long time and they appear to have placed in an orderly fashion suggesting they are there for a purpose perhaps and not just dumped?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2020, 01:29:30 pm »
They have been placed there as crab traps they also use short drain pipes and gutters the crabs crawl in to shed their shell .
Bait supplier's collect and sell to fisherman