Author Topic: Galas.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline hiraeth

Galas.
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »
Do local village galas take place nowadays.?

Bryn Pydew used to have a brilliant one.

The village green was decorated with streamers and the procession of queens and their courtiers would assemble there.and progress down to the playing field and Village Hall .The queen in a beautiful dress, her maids of honour the prince (or was it the King) and little page boys and girls scattering rose petals. At the field they  progressed to the stage for the crowning ceremony followed by party pieces, verses and songs.
Lots more going on in the field,  dog show  games, races, a merry go round and swings, and best of all first class refreshments.
Any more memories of this?

Offline squiggle

Re: Galas.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:46:33 am »
OK, I am responding to my mother here but to add a response..

I guess I have mixed feeling about the event.  The thoughts of being dressed up as a page boy would have been sufficient to make me consider running away from home!

All the same, it had a history before our time and it was an event that put Pydew on the map for a day. Crowds used to come to the village hall/ playing field.   There were lines of tractors, etc. pulling floats.

I liked the time when they had a funfair there. I feel sorry for the fish now but, hey, you could win a goldfish in a plastic bag.  I can't remember any of ours doing that well but I do know someone who had one that lived to a ripe old age.

Of course there are other memories.  They always used to play one record.... Here we go... When it's spring again, I'll bring again tulips from Amsterdam...

It inescapably was part of my own childhood.

Offline zxr

Re: Galas.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:25:26 pm »
Reunion of Bryn Pydew Gala Queens.