Author Topic: Schools and education  (Read 32877 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Schools and education
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:59 am »
What's happening in Education...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Schools and education
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:21 am »
"Richard Tremelling was sacked for taking his GCSE class on to a snowy playing field and allowing two of them to have a ride on the 30-year-old "design classic" Scandinavian racing sledge.
Presenting the case at the hearing in Cardiff, Rosa Fernandes said: "Mr Tremelling took the sledge to school without the authorisation of the headteacher.

"He used the sledge on snow-covered slopes at the rear of the school and allowed two pupils to use it. He failed to carry out appropriate risk assessments and failed to provide a written risk assessment. He didn't ensure pupils were wearing protective headgear and protective clothing."

The two boys who went sledging were unharmed in the 10-minute episode at Cefn Hengoed community school in Swansea.

During the hearing, Tremelling explained how he discussed the manufacture and use of the sledge with pupils during a revision class. He said: "A number of pupils stayed behind interested and excited. They wanted to see it in use and, giving it some thought, I agreed. I took the sledge and pupils to the back of the building where there was two to three inches of snow."

Tremelling said he conducted a "mental risk-assessment" before sliding down a small slope himself on the sledge. Two of the pupils, both 15, volunteered to ride the sledge, one after the other. He said: "The whole process took less than 10 minutes and I was sure it reinforced their knowledge."

Tremelling said he now hoped to get back to teaching as soon as possible, having worked in the Territorial Army following his dismissal from the school.

Colin Adkins, of the teaching union NASUWT, said: "Mr Tremelling was just trying to do his job and research shows children learn best when they're engaged and enthused.

"He conducted his lesson with the best interests of the children in mind. Teachers are often the victims of an over-precautious environment."

Perhaps he ought to have wrapped them totally in bubble wrap, as well.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:19:01 am »
He sounds an excellent teacher who would actually be interesting, this just shows how mad all of this h & s has become!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »
H and S and also P C have just gone out of hand and the situation now is ridiculous.     I don't know who thinks up these stupid rules but I would imagine that the majority of people would think that we have gone too far with all this nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:24:40 pm by Hugo »

Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »
The whole problem is not Education, Education, Education

but

Litigation, Litigation, Litigation!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »
I don't think it's as big a problem as many would have us think. British law still retains the use of 'reasonable' as a bulwark of much of the canon, and the problems mainly stem from those who haven't the brains or the experience to think in rational terms. I actually suspect that teacher was sacked because of other, underlying issues. They probably used the sledging incident as the lever.

Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:57:07 pm »
Sounds like devious tactics to me!   Which at the end of the day probably still means that he didn't deserve being fired!   )*)&

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:47:41 pm »
I don't think it's as big a problem as many would have us think. British law still retains the use of 'reasonable' as a bulwark of much of the canon, and the problems mainly stem from those who haven't the brains or the experience to think in rational terms. I actually suspect that teacher was sacked because of other, underlying issues. They probably used the sledging incident as the lever.
Ian you are right. He was actually sacked for ignoring the instruction from the headteacher (his boss). I heard one report yesterday that added he already had a disciplinary record at the school. Of course the story is much more interesting to the media to concentrate on the sledging story.

But he does sounds a very interesting teacher.

My wife said that in her teacher training she was advised that if you were in a lesson and it started to snow. One suggestion is stop the lesson let all the students go to the window and watch it snowing, once they get bored restart the lesson.

Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:51 am »
He was actually sacked for ignoring the instruction from the headteacher (his boss). I heard one report yesterday that added he already had a disciplinary record at the school.

Hearsay, and inadmissable in evidence!   
In other words your story is just about as reliable as that in the press!     >>>

brumbob

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
Reading test for six-year-olds to include non-words

A number of made-up words such as "koob" or "zort" are to be included in the government's planned new reading test for six-year-olds in England.
The idea has drawn criticism from literary experts who say the approach will confuse those beginning to read.
The UK Literacy Association said the plan was "bonkers" as the purpose of reading was to understand meaning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12509477

how bloody stupid is this, as if we hadn't got enough made up words with text speak  >:(

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »
I koob anything wrong with zort if anything its zortilicius and a koobing lot of nollywob
mind you I grew up listening to this man...

Stanley Unwin Baffles the Carry On Team
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:30:30 am »
 L0L Stanley Unwin. Genius.

Do you remember the Gerry Anderson series when he played Father Stanley Unwin - The Secret Service?

The Secret Service ITC Video Trailer

I'm sure BrumBob will remember it judging by the car he drove.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:36:03 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:39:48 am »
This one's for Stan - just look at that bell!  :)

The Secret Service - Opening (Father Unwin Puppet)

brumbob

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
"They don't build automobiles like they used to."

Stanley Unwin's final TV interview.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:58 am »
"Figures were released showing that 700 heads or deputy heads in state schools earn more than £100,000, including 200 paid more than £110,000. "

Teaching is a difficult job, but does any teacher really deserve that sort of salary, especially when you consider that most of their time at that level will be spent outside the classroom?

Full story here