Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 143012 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
European Union Vote
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:09:34 am »
As most members will know, the U.K. is holding a Referendum on the 23rd June to determine whether we remain in the European Union. What is your opinion on this and which way will you be voting?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
I am still on the fence, not keen on the EU as it is, being part of a trading group without all the rules and regs would be fine, will not happen though, some means of controlling imigration robustly would be great too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:57 pm »
Completely open minded at present but Cameron's dismal attempt at renegotiating with the EU doesn't help.    Britain seems to have to abide by all the EU rules yet Germany can openly invite millions of immigrants into Europe without discussion or arrangements with any of the other EU countries and blatantly ignores the Schengen Treaty

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:14:27 pm »
I was shocked at Germany letting that lot in, I imagine most German people were against that!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »
The few German people I have spoken to said exactly that.    There has been no thought whatsoever to integrating that many people in Germany or transporting them from the point of entry into Europe to Germany.
Now Germany are trying to back track on what they have promised to these Asian people and in addition they are backing Turkey's entry into the EU.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »
This EU membership issue polarises opinion, and I fear that when we get to the referendum, most of the questions we have will remain unanswered.
Such is the problem with weighty political matters.
There will be many heated debates on the TV, but the clarity will be lacking as it always is.

One politician will tell us that it disaster will ensue if we leave the EU, the next will pick on the same point but tell us that paradise awaits if we vote to leave.
There will be a lack of hard facts for us to base our opinions on, therefore fear (and greed) is likely to sway most people's decision.
As it stands at the moment, I am likely to abstain.... because I genuinely don't KNOW what will happen, who does?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:30:20 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35635438

This 3 minute clip sheds some light on Norway's relationship with the EU, despite being a non-member
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:59 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35635438

This 3 minute clip sheds some light on Norway's relationship with the EU, despite being a non-member

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/16/eu-exit-norway-option-costs-thinktank

They estimate the Norway option would cost us 94% of what it costs us now but we would have no vote.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 08:12:48 am »
   Britain seems to have to abide by all the EU rules yet Germany can openly invite millions of immigrants into Europe without discussion or arrangements with any of the other EU countries and blatantly ignores the Schengen Treaty

Not entirely sure Germany 'invited' them all, Hugo.  They were already walking there anyway, and Germany simply offered them a place to stay, as it were. The mass migration we've seen over the past 12 months has largely been unstoppable - unless countries use methods generally seen as unacceptable in a civilised society. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:16 am »
This EU membership issue polarises opinion, and I fear that when we get to the referendum, most of the questions we have will remain unanswered. Such is the problem with weighty political matters.
There will be many heated debates on the TV, but the clarity will be lacking as it always is.

One politician will tell us that disaster will ensue if we leave the EU, the next will pick on the same point but tell us that paradise awaits if we vote to leave. There will be a lack of hard facts for us to base our opinions on, therefore fear (and greed) is likely to sway most people's decision.
As it stands at the moment, I am likely to abstain.... because I genuinely don't KNOW what will happen, who does?

I rarely quote anyone's post in full, but Fester's comment is worthy of very wide distribution. Sadly, I agree with every single word.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:24 am »
Not entirely sure Germany 'invited' them all, Hugo.  They were already walking there anyway, and Germany simply offered them a place to stay, as it were. The mass migration we've seen over the past 12 months has largely been unstoppable - unless countries use methods generally seen as unacceptable in a civilised society.
If the flow of economic migrants continues, then we will no longer have a civilised society to worry about....

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 09:24:21 am »
Firstly they are not economic migrants, but either way that's scarcely relevant as to why you don't think they are civilised?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:38:35 am »
Firstly they are not economic migrants, but either way that's scarcely relevant as to why you don't think they are civilised?
I didn't say that they weren't civilised? The point I was making was that the civilised society Ian refers to will not remain in place for long if millions of migrants arrive and swamp already overstretched housing, hospitals and education services. It doesn't matter what nationality/colour the migrants are; it's the sheer weight of numbers that will present the problem.

As regards them being economic migrants, if they were merely escaping the war in Syria (and who could blame them for this?), they would just go over the border into Turkey and wait there until the war ended. Why would they need to travel any further?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:08 am »
Perhaps because there is already 2 million of them in Turkey? Where is the proof anywhere that migration leads to an uncivilized society?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 11:59:10 am »
Perhaps because there is already 2 million of them in Turkey? Where is the proof anywhere that migration leads to an uncivilized society?
There are many other safe countries between Syria and Germany (Romania, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, Austria), why would they not simply head for the nearest safe country?

Perhaps you can explain how already overstretched public services can cope with yet more people?  In the UK, for example, we are already short of housing, the NHS is in crisis, education is struggling...how would we cope with yet more people and who would pay for them all?