Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 143121 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2016, 06:44:48 am »
I'm surprised at you Born to Run,  always a man of democracy and of 'the people'
The People have spoken, and even though I agree it's a travesty, it is what it is, and must be managed to its conclusion.

As it was in 1930's Germany?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2016, 08:04:51 am »
I'm surprised at you Born to Run,  always a man of democracy and of 'the people'
The People have spoken, and even though I agree it's a travesty, it is what it is, and must be managed to its conclusion.

As it was in 1930's Germany?

They had Nietzsche, which changed the playing field a bit... And B2R has a valid point, really, in that far fewer than should be needed bothered to vote, so it wasn't really true democracy - merely a representative faction - a bit like Parliament. But I suspect what I find so depressing is that so many clearly swallowed the lies the Leave camp told, and which - of course - they're now rapidly retracting. So we must wait and see what happens.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
And B2R has a valid point, really, in that far fewer than should be needed bothered to vote, so it wasn't really true democracy - merely a representative faction - a bit like Parliament.
72% of the electorate voted, which seems a decent enough level to me. 100% of the electorate had the ability to vote, which is the important thing. If the result had gone the other way, I suspect you wouldn't be complaining about it?  :laugh:

I suspect what annoys B2R most of all is that his beloved Jeremy Corbyn is the man most responsible for delivering a LEAVE result, as he made no effort whatsoever to persuade Labour voters to vote REMAIN and it was the Labour heartlands of NE England that delivered the largest LEAVE vote.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2016, 09:34:03 am »
 :D

I've long wondered if we should adopt the Aussie system of compulsory voting. On a matter as serious as this, it might have been a good idea. But the really big danger is in the whole concept that major decisions can be put to referenda. Once you've done that for one thing the question becomes how you determine the next.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #260 on: June 28, 2016, 10:19:11 am »
And B2R has a valid point, really, in that far fewer than should be needed bothered to vote, so it wasn't really true democracy - merely a representative faction - a bit like Parliament.
72% of the electorate voted, which seems a decent enough level to me. 100% of the electorate had the ability to vote, which is the important thing. If the result had gone the other way, I suspect you wouldn't be complaining about it?  :laugh:

I suspect what annoys B2R most of all is that his beloved Jeremy Corbyn is the man most responsible for delivering a LEAVE result, as he made no effort whatsoever to persuade Labour voters to vote REMAIN and it was the Labour heartlands of NE England that delivered the largest LEAVE vote.

It seems that most traditional Labour voters are fed up about immigration, they see EU migrants coming in and taking there jobs, even second generation Asians here do not like the EU migrants coming in and taking jobs and lowering wages. Then they see Corbyn endlessly waffling on about fighting racism, so they voted out, in large numbers, Corbyn does not represent in any way the views of the British working class, the world he wants will never exist.  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2016, 11:15:06 am »
Merddin, I'm looking forward then to seeing all these 'working class' leave voters rushing over to the east of England to start picking crops and planting seeds for 10 hours a day.
The term working class is a misnomer now, there is no such thing.
At the base of the structure is a 'benefits' class, a massive group of folk who either can't work, have never worked or see themselves as above work.
We all know who they are, and these folk will not do the jobs that puts the food on the shelves in the supermarket.
Hardly any of them are physically fit enough to even try.
We are about to see massive changes to our cushy lives.  I believe it will revolve around availability of goods, much higher prices than now for imported or home grown goods, and problems with foreign travel.
Why should the French now hold back any migrants on their way to Britain?  Wave them straight through is what they will do. They are a massive drain on French resources.
I expect to see a lot of 'useful' migrants, (your words), replaced by hordes of somewhat different ones.
Rumblings of social unrest, which I warned about on this forum in connection with cutting police numbers, has already started to bubble up.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #262 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »
I have never been a Labour voter, just repeating what I saw on the tv news, I have no problem personally with useful migrants,  Just do not want the bad ones! Everyone kept saying you have to vote, can't complain if you don't vote etc, seems that some people do not like it when you do vote either. I tend to think that a good shake up to the politicians could be a good reminder of what people think.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:29 pm »
Merddin, I'm looking forward then to seeing all these 'working class' leave voters rushing over to the east of England to start picking crops and planting seeds for 10 hours a day.
There would be nothing to stop anyone staying in the UK to work for a few months, then returning home. That has always happened, long before we joined the EU. What would be removed would be the right of abode in the UK.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #264 on: June 28, 2016, 02:01:27 pm »
An elderly customer of mine today recounted a tale from her stay in The Marlborough Hotel this week, where she enquired of the 'nice Lithuanian girl that's been there for years' .... (her words)

'So you've been voted out now love, how long before you have to go home'

She said, 'I think I upset her, but I didn't mean to, she's quite nice that one, I always giver a tip every time I come here'

I had my palms on my face.  &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:02 pm »
There would be nothing to stop anyone staying in the UK to work for a few months, then returning home. That has always happened, long before we joined the EU. What would be removed would be the right of abode in the UK.

Just a pity that so many (the majority) come from India and Pakistan. They then live here, because they already have family here. I'm a little unclear how leaving the EU will change that.

Offline Ian

• Administrator

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »
Just a pity that so many (the majority) come from India and Pakistan. They then live here, because they already have family here. I'm a little unclear how leaving the EU will change that.

Your post made me think who can come into the UK, started Googling as I do, still looking, but thought you might find this site interesting, .........
http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/uk-border-agency-rules-for-bulgarian-and-romanian-nationals.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2016, 08:12:00 pm »
And now the yobs, inspired by the leave vote, are starting to harass the Polish.  In many ways Britain's greatest allies, who gave their all during the war and put up stiffer resistance to the Nazis than any occupied country. Hope the Leave camp are proud of what they've achieved.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:39 pm »
And now the yobs, inspired by the leave vote, are starting to harass the Polish.  In many ways Britain's greatest allies, who gave their all during the war and put up stiffer resistance to the Nazis than any occupied country. Hope the Leave camp are proud of what they've achieved.

Well said.   $good$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_contribution_to_World_War_II