Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 45330 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:31 am »
MOT your home

I was reading an article in a free magazine called Word of Mouth the other night. It was inspired by Marianne Suhr about handy tips on giving your home a check over in preparation for Winter . I found it very interesting the link is below

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/blogs/property/article/504856/Give-your-period-house-an-MOT-for-winter.html

It made me think, that's the kind of general maintenance your Grandad did every year. Pottering around fixing things and carrying out all the diy jobs in and around the house. All his skills passed down from his dad and their father before him.
It doesn't seem like that now does it. I mean you need an NVQ in "How to hold a Hammer" to legally buy a box of nails now (ok slight exaggeration but you get my drift). All this "Where there's blame there's a claim" and the "There's no such thing as an accident" attitude has resulted in the outlandish and ridiculous Health and Safety rules and regulations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:10:27 am by Pendragon »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 01:23:36 am »
Oven Cleaning...........How Much !

I read an advertisement for a company, who for a fee will come round to your house and clean out your oven after all the excessive cooking over the festive season. I couldn't resist going on the web site and checking out how much they charged for this service?  :o £55 for the oven and get this another  £15 for the hob. In total £70. Is it me? or does that sound like shed loads of money. I'd want them pulling the b****r out and jet washing behind it for that.    _))* Well at least you'll be able to recognise them coming.................they'll be the ones wearing the balaclavas!

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:42 am »
MOT your home
I was reading an article in a free magazine called Word of Mouth the other night. It was inspired by Marianne Suhr
I'm always inspired by Marianne Suhr myself.  ;D

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:08 am »
Oven Cleaning...........How Much !

I read an advertisement for a company, who for a fee will come round to your house and clean out your oven after all the excessive cooking over the festive season. I couldn't resist going on the web site and checking out how much they charged for this service?  :o £55 for the oven and get this another  £15 for the hob. In total £70. Is it me? or does that sound like shed loads of money. I'd want them pulling the b****r out and jet washing behind it for that.    _))* Well at least you'll be able to recognise them coming.................they'll be the ones wearing the balaclavas!

OMG I wish someone would give me that amount every time I clean the ovens :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:24 am »
If you saw the state of some ovens, you would think it cheap!      ZXZ

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
I've been helping a close friend of mine paint his house in Maesgeirchen Bangor for the last couple of weeks while I'm at a loose end. He was in the army for many years. He later went on to train Dogs in Somalia for Princess Diana's' charity Mags. The charity was set up to utilize dogs in the clearing of mines. Now he trains them to locate human remains, he was recently involved with Global  Rescue Services attempting to locate the body of 12-year-old Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett. Mash (that's his nickname) trained 2 collie dogs recently Socs and Hosan. Hosan was the dog in the weekly news a few years ago, she rescued a young child in the rubble of an earth quake and featured with Mash in the article. (I can't find the story unfortunately) She now works and lives abroad. Her sister Socs is one of the dogs taking part in the search of the Moors.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2010/04/01/north-wales-team-searches-for-moors-murder-victim-55243-26148249/

Mash has to go away for two weeks and I get the pleasure of looking after Socs for those 2 weeks again in February. I'm really looking forward to it as not only is Socs an impeccably behaved dog she is also an absolute darlin'.
I'll post a picture on here when she arrives.
I've been warned by Mash not to molly coddle her as she's a working dog, but he knows I will. First stop the bath, a good brushing and then a long walk. I might just put bows in her hair when he comes to pick her up. Y'know just to wind him up  WWW

Yorkie

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 05:12:23 pm »
Maybe the dogs could do with a working holiday in the Algarve and try to locate Madeleine McCann?    *&(

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
Nice idea but we don't know whether she's still in the country, alive or dead.
I don't know how the Mcanns do it. It would be your worst nightmare.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 06:26:13 pm »
Perhaps they already know.....?

Offline Paddy

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 06:31:56 pm »

Steady on Dave!

Yorkie

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 06:38:01 pm »
The best Blog on the subject is here:

Joana is Portuguese.

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 08:15:28 pm »

:-\ :-\ :-\
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
Every year more than 100,000 children go missing in the UK - that is one child who disappears every five minutes.

This was a statement written in 2008. Some of the children run away from home or care. I find that a staggering number.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »
100,000 go missing...but how many are found or return home?

"Tarling and Burrows’ 2004 study of Metropolitan Police missing person cases found that 99 per cent of cases were resolved within one year.  (Tarling and Burrows, 2004: 20).

A large majority of missing person cases are resolved very quickly, and most missing people are located.  Around 0.6 per cent of missing person cases"

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/media-centre/papers/detail.asp?dsid=603

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 08:43:53 pm »
The majority are found quickly, the age definition of 'child' is 18 and below and 'going missing' in many cases is simply a teenager who stays overnight at a friend's house after rowing with parents. Some 93 per cent of the children who go missing do not live in a two-parent household, and single children are more likely to run away than those with brothers and sisters.

Missing People, the charity that helps both the disappeared and those left behind,  says that 250,000 missing persons reports each year – more than 30,000 higher than any previous total – is "probably an underestimate"; others put the total nearer 275,000. This means that one person goes missing every two minutes. The vast majority are swiftly found, or return of their own volition, but many don't. Some disappear for decades, and sources, including some inside the police, say the number of people in Britain who have been missing from family, friends and usual haunts for more than a year is at least 16,000 and could be as many as 20,000. Even more worryingly, at any one time, there are an estimated 1,000 unidentified bodies lying in the country's mortuaries and hospitals.

Sources:  Independent, Guardian, Times.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.