Author Topic: Genealogy - Grandfather Moneypenny  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Genealogy - Grandfather Moneypenny
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:30 am »

Offline MissM

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »
I would 'fourth-ed' this but I don't know if that's a word...  :D

Lynne

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:59 pm »
Suepp and your cousin got the info Lynne, all I did was to take the photo of the grave.   Would you keep us posted on what you find out from Rev John Nice please.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »
Just an add on that I found in the Conwy Archives today.  I found a notice of the obituary of Matthew Moneypenny in the Llandudno Advertiser dated Saturday May 20th 1950 at pg 5.
The article was brief and said that Matthew died on the Wednesday (17th May 1950) aged 65. He came to Llandudno at the beginning of the war and was formerly employed by the Inland Revenue at Llandudno.

PS    A lot of the forum members will be aware that the Imperial Hotel on the Promenade at Llandudno became the headquarters of Britain's evacuated Inland Revenue Department in 1940 and it may well be that Matthew Moneypenny was one of the staff that were evacuated.

Offline MissM

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:14 pm »
Hello all

I have heard back from Canon Nice and he hasn't got the records of the Council Cemetery, only St Tudno's.  He did offer to look through the funeral register to see if Matthew's funeral took place on one of the parish churches which is kind of him.   I might have a little go at finding where Florence was buried sometime though, especially as it was her who bought the grave in the first place.

The info about where Matthew lived and worked is very interesting Hugo and adds a little more to the picture we're building. None of his grandchildren ever met him and had very little information other than he had left the family in dire straits.  Now that the people he hurt have passed on, it is has been interesting learning more about him. 

When I was in better health I visited Llandudno a few times and fell in love with it.  It seems my Grandad did the same!

Lynne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »
Back in the Conwy Archives the staff double checked their records and it appears that although they have the Burial Registers for 1949 and 1951 the one for 1950 when Matthew died is unfortunately missing.   However they suggested that you contact Brian Hughes, the Cemeteries Officer at Bron Y Nant Mochdre who may be able to provide you with the missing info.  His contact details are:-     Tel   01492 544677 or by e-mail at  brian.hughes@conwy,gov.uk

From the records in the Archives we found that Matthew Moneypenny married Florence Hadley sometime in the quarter of June,July or August 1944.  The marriage was in the Conwy District and because it did not appear on the computer's records of Register Office weddings it is presumed that the wedding was in a church in the locality.
The exact date of the marriage can be checked on other computer sites.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:16 pm »
All's well that ends well. A fine piece of research Hugo. I followed this thread with great interest
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »
A marriage certificate can  unlock a great many doors, once I obtained my great grandfather's I was able to trace the paternal line from 1902 to 1766! It will also have the addresses of the bride and groom. My Grandmother was residing at the North Western Hotel at the time of her marriage which I did not know about.

The inland revenue used boarding houses as well as hotels during the war, my mother has photos of the people who stayed with her family at theirs,

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 11:42:26 am »
My G Grandfather owned the Temperance Hotel (The North Western Hotel was originally two hotels, the Castle Hotel being the other) and then moved to Clifton Road more or less opposite where Matthew Moneypenny once lived.
The actual date of their marriage can be found using Ancestry and also the Register of Electors and rates books can give some background too.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:08 am »
Not long after we moved to Clifton Road an elderly couple turned up with a suitcase expecting to see the lady who had previously lived there, only to be told that she had sadly passed away, luckily they were able to stay across the road with one of the neighbours who knew them well.They were relatives, It must have been a shock to see strangers in the house.

I have since found out that the lady who lived in our house was there forty years earlier in 1929. She possibly knew your grandfather  Hugo as  she lived on the same side, one away from the entry.

I can remember the day we moved in, all the bedrooms had fireplaces, there was a stone sink on one landing, gas brackets on the walls and  a large range in the back kitchen. There was only one working toilet ( the other being in the back shed) I still have the original toilet bowl with an ornate blue and white pattern on it, I suppose it is now an "architectural antique!"  When it was in situ it was "boxed in" , we called it the "Throne room". Naturally being the late 60's  the house was completely modernised. The original blue white and terracotta tiles in the long hallway covered up by a fitted carpet!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:00:24 pm by suepp »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 12:53:14 pm »
I was just wondering, Hugo....are the copies of the Weekly News in the Archives as well?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:44 pm »
I'm sure that copies of the NWWN are there Dave as I can remember looking for something in the paper some time ago.  If you see something though you can't get a photo copy of it, so you have to make notes.
I wanted to take a photo of Matthew Moneypenny's obituary but you are not allowed to take photos although they will take one for you for a small fee.

Offline MissM

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
Another little update from me!

I have received the marriage and death certificates from the records office and added a bit more to the story.

As Hugo mentioned, Matt was in the Imperial Hotel with the Inland Revenue in 1940. This would explain why he wasn’t on the Llandudno records for 1939. Florence was originally from Wrexham so she might have moved there then as well.

Florence and Matthew married on 18th July 1944 in the Register Office of Conway Valley.  As we thought, Grandad Matt was a bit naughty!  He put himself down on his wedding certificate as a Widower which was a surprise as I was expecting to see Bachelor or Divorced!  They both lived in Tower View, Cwlach Road.

At the time of their marriage they both lived in Tower View, Cwlach Road in Llandudno and Matthew's occupation was Civil Servant, Clerical Staff.

My cousin has had a quick trip to Llandudno and took some photos of each road although he couldn't pinpoint Tower View specifically.  He also stood at Grandad's grave and took photos of the area round it so the rest of us can find it in the future.  I think we may get a stone put in now we've found him.

Matthew’s death certificate shows he died at home in Clifton Road with Florence beside him on 17th May 1950 from Lung Cancer aged 65.  His occupation is recorded as ‘Formerly a Messenger, Inland Revenue Department.’

So there we are. We know what he looked like, where he lived, his job, his wife, his death and burial place.  That’s a lot more than we knew a week or two ago!  Although my other cousin had a lot of old photos from her parents, she'd never looked through for or tried to identify Matthew before. We don't see each other very often but we're both on Genes Reunited and thought we'd pool our efforts! I guess the lesson here is talk to your living relatives before you go looking for the ones who have passed!

Thank you everyone for your contributions and enthusiasm!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »
I looked in the 1939 Street Index at the Conwy Archives and Tower View is at No 6 Cwlach Road and Mr Rd. Jones is listed as the main breadwinner.  I had a walk up Cwlach Road today and the name Tower View has been changed to Tower House.
I took a photo of the house so that you know exactly which house Matthew lived at when he got married in 1944.
While I was there I also looked at the 1944 copies of the Llandudno Advertiser but there was no mention of the marriage in the paper

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
I'm sure that copies of the NWWN are there Dave as I can remember looking for something in the paper some time ago.  If you see something though you can't get a photo copy of it, so you have to make notes.
I wanted to take a photo of Matthew Moneypenny's obituary but you are not allowed to take photos although they will take one for you for a small fee.

Just thought I'd let yoy know that they have got old copies of the North Wales Weekly News at the archives.
Also Llandudno & district advertiser. The older editions of this are on microfilm, the more recent ones-you can look at the actual papers.
Where these have not yet been bound, it is possible to have a photocopy, for just 20p.
 If the papers have been bound, they are unable to photocopy them, but will take a photo for you and print it out.(Think this is about £2 or £2.50)
 Where the papers are on microfilm, you can get a print from the machine-again about 20p.