Author Topic: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?  (Read 21401 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:04 am »
I have searched for a birth registration which would support this information but was unsuccessful in finding anything. There are no births for a child registered with the surname of Hughes, mother's maiden name Byatt for any of the years 1922-1939.

The information may be worth pursuing as it is a local source and there must be some people living in the area who would have known this family. The Electoral Rolls might yield some clues.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »
Thanks for looking for a birth registration Helig, it's a shame that nothing turned up.  I was in the Archives today and had a search on their computer for free but didn't turn up anything either.
The Conwy Archives doesn't have all the records for Colwyn Bay and the Register of Births that they did have only covered up to 1914.
I didn't look in the NWWN  because we have no definite date for the birth and it would have taken too long and anyway there is no guarantee that the birth would have been put in the paper.
The Herbert Hughes that still lives in Old Colwyn must be 86 or 87 now but if only we could speak to him then we would know one way or the other.
I'll have to go to the club to see my friend and see what else he has to say, all in the cause of research, I may add    Z**  Z**

Offline Hugo

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2016, 10:58:11 pm »
I have had another e-mail from my friend and he has advised me that his friend will call on Herbert Hughes and ask him for details of his mother's maiden name but this may take a while.
My friend said that he will let me know what his friend finds out.   

Offline Helig

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2016, 03:15:07 pm »
Hello Hugo,

I think you deserve a treat for all your research. It is thirsty work is it not?

I wonder whether the Colwyn Bay street, or commercial, directories would shed any light on the William Herbert Hughes and Herbert Hughes who live(d) in Colwyn Bay? They might show which years he/they lived there and where exactly he/they lived. I cannot volunteer as I live too far away now. I think the library would have copies of some of them.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »
Helig,  I know where they lived and where Herbert Hughes lives now but the electoral register will tell me William Herbert Hughes' wife's name and that although it's not the conclusive proof, it will help with further investigations.
Unfortunately the record for the electors are in the Archives in Ruthin and I don't go there.
I'm hoping that we may find out more when my friend's friend visits Herbert.
I do go to Colwyn Bay Library now and again and next time I do I'll ask some questions there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:51 pm »
I've just had an e-mail from my friend and unfortunately this is not the William Herbert Hughes that we are looking for.
We still can't rule out the William Herbert Hughes though that lived in Endsleigh Road Old Colwyn  in the 1930's and onwards.
The Register of Electors for any of the years 1939 to 1955 would give the wife's name, but the problem is that the records are in Ruthin.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »
PhilMick,    I haven't found out anything new but just wanted to recap on your request:-

I found a William Herbert Hughes living at two different addresses in Old Colwyn from the Street Indexes in the Conwy Archives.  He was living in the area  from at least 1929 to 1955.     I have no idea if he is the person you are looking for but the Register of Electors from 1933 may show his wife's name  ( I believe that women of voting age didn't appear on the Registers until about 1932}   
Also the Burial index may help if he was buried with a headstone.   Both records should be available in the Ruthin Archives

Now I've mentioned a Herbert Hughes who lived in Old Colwyn and again I've no proof that he was the William Herbert Hughes but my friend knows this that that Herbert was married and had a son also called Herbert and that Herbert is still alive today and must be in his 80's.
That marriage ended in divorce.
I have been advised by my friend that the surviving Herbert is still sensitive over the family matter and out of respect for his feelings I feel that I am unable to follow anything up now but just wanted you to know that.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »
Hugo - sorry, missed your last post.

I'm still looking but no kids or deaths on Ancestry.

I came across another family tree for Ellen but once again no death or kids.

I'm resolved to accepting what I've got so far - thanks to all the help I received from the forum.

Phil

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:31 pm »
Thanks PhilMick, but if I do get told of anything that may help you then I'll post it on here

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
PhilMick,   I sent this e-mail to the Denbigh Archives in case they could help:-

"I am trying to find information about a William Herbert Hughes who lived in Old Colwyn from 1929 to at least the 1950’s.      It would be appreciated if you could advise me if the Burial Indexes and register of electors from 1933 are in your Archives.
Any help or advise would be appreciated".  This is part of the reply I received:-

While we do hold microfilmed copies of the Colwyn Bay burial register for 1933 you might also be interested to learn that the church of Wales parish registers have been digitised and are now available to view on line at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/. I had a quick look at this website looking for a burial record for William Herbert Hughes in Denbighshire but I failed to find a match. However, while searching this website I did find an entry for him on the 1939 census living at 56, Grove Park, Colwyn Bay. Other information captured on this census was that William was a widower, that he was a retired general labourer and that his date of birth was 28th February, 1870. I tried to down load a copy of this census for you but the website permitted me from doing so. If you would like a copy then you will have to go on line at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/ and please be aware that there is a charge for a copy.

I know that this person is not the one you are looking for but I had a look at his birth records and that Wm Herbert's birth was registered in Stoke Damerel District in the quarter Oct/Dec 1870.     Does this mean anything to you?