Author Topic: THOMAS family from Eglwysbach and Glan Conway  (Read 1921 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
THOMAS family from Eglwysbach and Glan Conway
« on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »
As there are many on this forum who are into family trees I wonder if anyone is researching Thomas's from Glan Conway and Eglwysbach.

The "oldest" one I can find is William Thomas (born 1797 in Llansantffraid) - he was a weaver and married Elizabeth Jones then lived in Eglwysbach.  They had 12 children of which the second oldest is Lewis.  Lewis (born 1821 in Eglwysbach) had 11 children by two wives (Anne and Catherine) the youngest of which was Ezekiel born in 1880 - Ezekiel is my grand-father (Taid).

I have, through findmypast.co.uk, accessed the baptism and burial records of Eglwysbach and Glan Conway but there are so many Thomas's and with very little variety of first names (over 20 Roberts and Williams) so it is a big jigsaw pf many parts!

I have found the grave of William (died 1876) and Elizabeth (died 1865) in Eglwysbach - buried with their youngest daughter Anne (died 1915) and her husband Owen Williams (died 1907).  I was actually lookign for the grave of Lewis (died 1899) and Catherine (died 1915) but there is nothing left although I know roughly where it should be.  There are over 200 baptisms of children with the Thomas surname, I know some are in my tree but suspect many more could be!

I do know that some of the Thomas family were working in Bodnant around 1880 to 1915 when the gardens were being laid out.  As I am working there now it would be interesting to find out more.

Unfortunately, the viewing of the Glan Conway parish records last week was cancelled, and I was unable to attend the Eglwysbach viewing on Saturday as I was away.

If you are, or know anyone who is, researching Thomas's in Eglwysbach and Glan Conway I'd appreciate hearing from you!  Thanks - Dave.