Author Topic: The Venezia Coffee Bar  (Read 3315 times)

Offline mgilmore

The Venezia Coffee Bar
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:37:19 pm »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has more information about this coffee bar.

I'm trying to put a timeline to my family history and know that my parents ran the coffee bar next to the Savoy, but don't have dates of when that might be. Their surname was Gilmore..

Thanks

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Venezia Coffee Bar
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:59:48 pm »
Lemmy used to go in  there  8) - he mentions it in his books. So it was open in the 1960s. No idea till when though.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:16:34 pm »
 I can remember my big sister taking me in The Ven as it was known to locals. I loved the frothy coffee in glass mugs and watching all the local poseurs, it really was the In place to meet in the 60's. The last time I went in there was around 1967'ish.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:29:08 pm »

Offline mgilmore

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
Thanks all for replying.

I know they ran it in 1969, but not sure when they left. Some time between 69 and 71 form the looks of things. I'm just trying to piece a few dates together........

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »
It was certainly there in 1966/67. I'm sure it was open wel before this.

I remember the  pinballs that everyone was good at bar me.

Some names that come to mind are: Jeff Dodd, John Iver, Hilsk, Eddie Johnson, Nippy Swain, Mike Mansell, Willie Owen ................. we could make a drink last forever or at least we were told to go.

I didn't like the pyrex cups and saucers or the coffee. However, coke in the classic bottles ruled the day everyday. It's probably where diabetes originates.

About the same time a coffee bar opened at the end of Oxford Road and that became the in place for a while. I can't remember its name though.

The Orange Tree became an alternative lunch time hideaway for a while too.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:56:35 pm »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:24:30 pm »
Phil, the other coffee bar was the Tiger Bar owned by Len Jones.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:25:43 pm »
Musso caught us dodging school in there.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:49:09 pm »
I am sure you wouldn't have been the only one, PhilMick.

I have been following your posts with interest, PhilMick, and I have come to the conclusion you are the brother-in-law of a good friend of mine who sadly passed away a few years ago after, like me, spending a lifetime in the insurance industry.

Am I warm?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
 :)

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:06:57 am »
Ah, the Ven! What a den of iniquity that was - if my Dad was to be believed! I was totally banned from it, so like any normal teenager in the 60s, I couldn't keep away! I remember sidling past, checking out the 'talent' but also keeping a wary eye out for my Dad just in case he happened to be passing (just my luck!) Fortunately for me, on the other side of the Savoy was a wool shop, so I could always pretend to be looking for some wool! Or even just checking the photos of what was on this week at the Savoy if he should happen to turn up!
But if he didn't, I would make a mad dash inside, order my coffee with my back to the door, then sit down the back, where he'd never see me! D) Later, as I grew a bit bolder, I'd meet with friends from John Bright's (when it was still a Grammar School) and we'd while away a whole Sat'dy arvo, talking about the important matters of the day - like which was the best Beatle or, wow! Cop an eyeful of HIM!  :P Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end....