Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82867 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2016, 06:07:17 pm »
This is what the old part of the Cemetery looked like a few years ago and I wouldn't even try to look for a grave unless I knew exactly where in was located in this jungle.
In the case of Pierce his grave is in the third row in and John is in the sixth but I do know where they are and will take some photos asap.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2016, 02:01:27 pm »
Mull,  I've just copied my posting that I made on Chad's  Jones Family

Yesterday I enjoyed a delicious lunch in the Queens Hotel in Glanwydden and today I was back in the village but having a look around the graveyard!      I passed the Queens Head again and had a look at Capel Ainon which is the old Welsh Bapist Chapel that the Jones family must have attended when they were living in Penrhynside.   Sadly the building has been closed for many years and is in a serious state of decline.
Anyway I parked my car in the lane and walked up to the Cemetery, there are two parts to it, the old and the new but sadly the old part is in a serious mess and the last real clean up there was over 30 years ago.
I found Pierce and Jane's grave quite easily even though it was covered in Ivy and the headstone looked like it was made of a buff coloured sandstone.  The inscription was difficult to read but thankfully years ago some group made a detailed note of what was written on all the headstones.   I tried to clear the headstone as best as I could and the photo shows what it looks like now.
John and Elizabeth's grave wasn't too far away and as I had the plan of the graves I also knew where to look for it.    Their headstone was in the more traditional Welsh slate and the inscription on it was very clear.   A tree had grown by the headstone and although I tidied up the grave I couldn't remove the stump but I've taken a close up of the headstone so that you know that it is that of your relative.
One good thing I saw was that someone had started to clear the Cemetery and it did look better than when I was last there.
I've included a photo of the new part of the Cemetery and Penrhynside is in the background, probably about 2 miles away.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2016, 02:03:17 pm »
Glanwydden Cemetery

Offline mull

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2016, 05:41:43 pm »
Thanks for the photos and what you have done Hugo. Glad you enjoyed you lunch.

Have been having problems with the internet today , been driving me up the wall. Dont know what they have been up to but there has been Openreach vans parked up between the village and the exchange. Suspect they have been poking fingers in the wires.

Got 2 photos for you to look at:-

1  Photo of a cottage that I never knew were it was but am now convinced is Tan Y Fynwent, Landegfan.
    The writing on the back is very small and faint but reads:-

Feb  18 Year indecipherable

I am sending this PCard we had it taken 3 weeks ago. I wonder Myfanwy will (indecipherable) Taid, trustingyou are all well, how is
   baby getting on with love to all.

2   Photo of my Taid ,John Jones jnr tahen in Alexandria in July 1919

Hope the technology works this time, new to sending photos.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »
I think that it's Tan Y Fynwent too.   It's had a new extension to the left of the building and a new roof, retaining the hip on the right  and that conifer tree on the right has certainly grown over the years.
On either side of the wall by the front door those coping stones are still there.

Offline mull

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2016, 10:29:04 pm »
Photo 1.   July 1951 , L to R, Young Mull, Aunty Gwennie, Unknown but lived in Llandegfan, Aunty Rose.
                                             Trip over from Bangor on Garth Ferry. At the time I was Staying with my Aunty Gwennie in Orme Road Bangor.

Photo 2.   Young Mull on the Garth Ferry.

Photo 3.   1950 Mostyn Street. L to R , Grace Ellen Jones, Rose Thomas, Daughter Vivienne.

Wonder if unknown man in upper photo is a brother of John Jones jnr.
Plenty to go at when I come over.

Offline mull

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:04 pm »
zzzzz

Offline Hugo

« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:11 pm »
I went to the Archives in Llandudno to have a look in the Marriage Registers to see if I could find the marriage of John and Elizabeth Jones. The custom was for the marriage to take place in the bride's home town so I had a look in the two Parish Registers for Caerhun, being the Parish for Llanbedr Y Cennin.     I couldn't find any record that would match the couple's details,

I then had a look in the Marriage Register for Llangystennin  and the only one I could find that could possibly be their's is the one at No 27 on Oct 9th 1844.   I'm not absolutely sure that these are your relatives as the ages are not stated and at the time of marriage Elizabeth Williams was residing in Eglwysrhos.  This would need to be followed up in order to determine one way or another if it is your relative.

The Census records for 1851 etc show your John Jones as a Mason by trade but at the date of this marriage that John Jones was a farmer by profession.   However I noticed that his father in law was a Mason and perhaps John could have left his father's farm and changed jobs after getting married.

That is only speculation on my part but if this John is your relative then he would have been about 27 when he got married and I have found a Baptism record that matches the John who married in 1844 and his father Evan Jones.
I know the name of Evan's farm and at the moment all I want to say is that if it is the same person then it could be interesting.              ?{}?

Offline mull

« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2016, 12:07:25 pm »
My youngest son living in Andover has got very interested in this and mentioned to a work colleague about Ronald Thomas (Rose son) serving in the RAF and being captured during WW2.
He came up with the following information :-

Served with 57 Squadron at Feltwell, Norfolk in Wellington MK3 bombers.

Took part in Operation Hanau, targeting the Hanau/Lorh rail junction. Formed 35 Wellingtons+14 Hampden aircraft.
Plane Index 3748 (DX), Took off from Feltwell 2125 hours Wednesday 01/04/1942.

Crashed near Sprendlinger, 9kms ENE of Bad Kreuznach.
Crew:-
F/S R E Knobloch RNZAF  Pilot         Killed
F/S H W Lundy    RCAF 2nd Pilot   Killed
Sgt E G Ratcliffe  RAF    Observer          POW
Sgt R A Flood      RAF    Wireless OP     POW
Sgt G H Lloyd     RAF     Air Gunner        POW
Sgt R O Thomas RAF     Air Gunner        POW
Graves are now located in the Reichswalds Forest, Germany.

Raid took place under a Full Moon and the aircraft were very vulnerable. Luftwaffe Nite fighters confirmed 12 Wellingtons shot down.

Ronald ended up in Stalag Luft 111 (Wooden Horse/Great Escape) at Sargan, now Zargan in Poland.
In the winter 1944/45 with the Russians advancing from the east Hitler order the Pows to be moved towards the west.
This became known as The Great March in snow and wretched conditions, many hundreds collapsed and did not make it.

Never realised when I made the first post that I would find out so much. Thank you again for all the work you have put into it.

Offline mull

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2016, 06:36:48 pm »
All the best to everyone who has helped with this.Hope to be in North Wales early next year and look some of the information myself.

Bliadhna Mhath Ur for 2017.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »
Happy Hogmanay Mull, you can have a wee dram or two tonight      ZXZ

Blwyddyn Newydd dda i chi hefyd.       $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »
Mull,  I was back in the Conwy Archives today and had a look through the Burial Index for St Hilary's Church in Llanrhos.  As I've said before if there is a headstone in the Church Cemetery then it is easy to find the people buried there.  Apart from their names being listed alphabetically, their house names are also listed in the same way.

I looked at Tan Y Wal Penrhynside and there were two graves listed, you may be aware of them but just in case you are not I'll list them below:-
At plot B141   is the grave of Elizabeth and Hugh Hughes which reads as follows:-
Loving memories Elizabeth Hughes  Tan Y Wal   Penrhynside passed away Jan 20th 1944 aged 73  Also Hugh Hughes beloved husband of Elizabeth Tan Y Wal died 23rd Jan 1963 aged 84 years.

The other headstone is for Richard and Ann Hughes  Tan Y Wal  and is written in Welsh and the English translation is:-
In loving memory of Richard Hughes  Tan Y Wal Penrhynside who died January 29th 1921 aged 74  Also his dear wife Ann who died June 27th 1927 aged 81 years

Offline Helig

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:38 am »
The information you have found on the graves of Hugh and Elizabeth Hughes has proved helpful in enabling me to get more details on them. There is a Grant of Probate for a death of Hugh Hughes on 23 January 1963 which reads: "Hughes Hugh of Morfa Villa Penrhynside near Llandudno Caernarvonshire died 23 January 1963. Probate Bangor 4 March to Margaret Williams married woman. Effects £1296 5s".

The most likely marriage I can find for Hugh Hughes and Elizabeth is in the December quarter of 1907 in Llangystennin Hugh Hughes married Elizabeth Pheby Lamey. This is on North Wales BMD. This isn't certain as the 1911 census shows they had been married for 5 years. That would put the year of marriage as 1906.

Helig.

Offline mull

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2017, 11:21:45 am »
Wish there had been more notice and I could have made an effort to attend. It is a long way to come but I would find it usefull in finding my way around the records.
Before visiting I need to know what questions to ask and the likely places I will find the answers to fill in some of the gaps.

I will try and get in touch with them in Caernarfon to see if they propose to hold any more sessions, or they can send me an information pack.