Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82811 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:35 pm »
Tom Parry very kindly sent me a couple of photos of the memorial stone and it is very impressive so I'd like to see it for myself.   I did have another go at looking for it but the conditions weren't right.
I know where to see it and now when to go there so I'm determined to have another go when i can, perhaps it'll be third time lucky.
That part of the Little Orme can be difficult and I'll only have a small window of opportunity to get the photos and get back again so I'll bide my time for the right moment.
In the meantime here are some photos I took, you can tell how high the tides have been by the water marks on the rocks

By the way I have not yet heard from the present day Jones family member who is in touch with someone from the USA.    I wonder if the USA person is our forum member Chad Kirk as Chad hasn't posted on here for a while

Offline Hugo

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2017, 12:06:41 pm »
Mull, just to let you know that I have still not heard from the present day Jones family members but have asked my friend to remind them again.

It could be that the person they are in touch with in the USA is Chad Kirk, but it would be nice to know the answer.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2017, 01:18:37 am »
Hey fellas! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I am so sorry I have been missing in action lately. I have been concentrating on the Kirk side of the family, Alfred Kirk who married Annie Maria Jones, I believe the sister of Mull's Grace Ellen. Funny I was fascinated to see your discoveryof the accident that Pierce was part of resolving, I had stumbled across that news article beforehand. I too had Mr. Hughes married to I believe Anne Jones, was she another sister? Now, the interesting part is family lore that traveled to the U.S. was that there was a son named Pierce or Percy, and that he had resided ultimately in Australia. I have a supposed pic of him and family, as well as children. I would love to see if this is true. I am so jealous Mull got to get to meet up with some of you, what an amazing experience! Still trying to find out where my Great great grandmother was laid to rest after her untimely death at 28. I very much appreciate the worl and effort everyone has put in to solving this Tan Y Wal mystery, I have really been given a rare oppurtunity to get to know some of the Jones side of the family. I am trying to muster enough time to come to Llandudno myself and would love to meet some of you, as well as find her grave, and pay respectsto Pierce and John, my 3 and 4 times grandfathers!! I will also try to be a little more available. Mull, if ever you find time, feel free to email me at kirk18@cox.net, as well as anybody else involved. Thanks again, Chad, btw, I work in healthcare and have terrible hours so my responses are random and probably very inconvenient for you guys so I apologize!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2017, 09:10:27 am »
Hi Chad,   hope that everything is well with you in the USA.   I met Mull and his wife Lorna in the Summer as you know and we went to Tan Y Wal in Penrhynside and it was a nice experience for all of us.
We also went to Jubilee street to see the house where Percy lived and when we had a look at the Rates Book for the property we saw that the tenant was Pierce Jones.    The conclusion that we came to was that Percy was actually Pierce Jones Jnr and was called Percy either to distinguish him from his father also called Percy or perhaps Percy was just a pet name he had.

Now I've a question for you.    A few months ago a friend of mine was approached by a member of the Jones family from Tan Y Wal and they asked my friend for my contact details as they wanted to contact me in connection with Tan Y Wal and although I have given my details out I have heard nothing from the Jones brothers.
The only thing I know from my friend is that one of the brothers is in contact with a Jones relative from the USA.     Is that person you by any chance?

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2017, 05:59:43 pm »
Hey there. I have had brief chats with a lot of folks, but as far as direct Jones family relatives, not me. Would love to try to contact them though if possible. I am still trying to figure out a faster way to speak to Mull via Skype or whatever, but I know all of us are busy and the time change. Who are these brothers you nention? I do have a few pics tho of Grace Ellen and her siblings and it is amazing how similar they all looked! Xhad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2017, 06:01:39 pm »
Bessie Jones
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
the pic after Bessie is my great great grandmother Annie Maria Jones who married Alfred Kirk
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2017, 06:04:09 pm »
Pierce Percy Jones, and Richard Benjamin Jones.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
Sorry, the pic of the gentleman with the dog is Percy, the other gent is Richard Benjamin a post man. Not sure what Percy did yet, or where he ended up.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:15 pm »
Thanks for posting those photos Chad, they are really good and it's nice putting a face to a name.    Now if it wasn't you that the Jones family are in touch with then it must be another relative who lives in the USA.

I believe that one or both the Jones brothers are forum readers and they must have read the articles we have posted about Tan Y Wal and that's why they contacted my friend and asked him  about making contact with me.    They have my e-mail address and phone number but I have not heard from them despite passing a couple of reminders to them via my friend.

Now that I know that they are not in contact with you I will again try and have some contact with them as they obviously have info that will benefit you in your search and vice versa.

PS      I have just received an e-mail from my friend and sadly one of the Jones' wife died suddenly before Christmas so obviously I'll leave that contact for a while but I thought that I'd update you on it

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:15 am »
Sad to hear that. If I hear anything I will let y'all know. Thanks again!.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2017, 03:39:57 pm »
I've a feeling that I may have seen the photo of Percy with the dog somewhere but can't remember where.    The location also looks similar to the Rock Studio that used to be in the Happy Valley on the Great Orme

Offline Hugo

« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
A Happy New Year to you Chad and to all members of the Jones family and good luck with your family searches in 2018.

I've told Mull about this but can't remember if I've posted it on here.    Last year I was looking through the rates book for Llandudno and Pierce Jones was the tenant of No 2 Severn Cottage.    Strangely though the next set of cottages were owned by a Pierce Jones.  Now we were not able to confirm if this was your Pierce Jones or another Pierce Jones.
Pierce Jones is not one of the most common Jones names so for the moment that is a mystery.

A few months later while I was having a drink with my brother I was talking to a former resident from Penrhynside who said that he knew everyone from Penrhynside  and when I mentioned the name Pierce Jones, he said that Pierce Jones was a big landowner in the area but I couldn't get any more info from him as he was as drunk as a skunk.
I'll have to go back to the club again this year, purely in the interest of research though.        Z** Z** Z**
Perhaps Pierce Jones' will could reveal some family secrets?

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:38 am »
Ha! I have to admit, I have done some of my best research with a beer in hand. I hope to hear more. Thanks for the info! Happy New Year !!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Helig

« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2018, 03:50:16 pm »
When I looked at the entries for Pierce Jones on Ancestry, it became clear that there was more than one person by that name living in Llandudno in the period 1891-1911.

There was Pierce Jones, age 49 in 1911, a Corn Dealer who was born in Prestatyn. He was married to Octavia and lived in 1 Penrhyn Crescent, Llandudno.

A Pierce Jones, age 28 in 1911, a Plasterer, born in Llandudno and married to Harriet. They lived at 29 Jubilee Street, Llandudno.

A Richard Pierce Jones, age 22 in 1891, a Servant/Draper's Assistant (the head of the household was a Draper) who was born Capel Curig and lived in Compton House, Lloyd St.

Helig