Author Topic: International politics  (Read 86175 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: International politics
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
To be fair even if he was a basket case they were still absolutely and completely out of line in his removal. I don't think it has anything to do with race, mental problems or anything else but big corporations thinking they can do what they want without fear of retribution.

This is a good article

http://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2017/04/11/united-airlines-debacle-isnt-about-customer-service-its-about-morality

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2017, 04:43:36 pm »
To be fair even if he was a basket case they were still absolutely and completely out of line in his removal. I don't think it has anything to do with race, mental problems or anything else but big corporations thinking they can do what they want without fear of retribution.

This is a good article

http://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2017/04/11/united-airlines-debacle-isnt-about-customer-service-its-about-morality

I agree, well put B2R, but I am not sure that they would have dealt with a Caucasian in the same way and strongly suspect that race was the choosing factor, but of course, it will never be proven.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »
I see Mr Trump has given a nice invite to Kim Jung Un to visit him to discuss the crisis... and sent him a plane ticket!  :laugh:

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:47 pm »

An excellent piece by Jonathan Freedland in the Guardian on Trump's Presidency. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/donald-trump-first-100-days-resistance

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2017, 07:49:44 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Ian

• Administrator
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
I needs to be said.... that even NORTH KOREA have signed up to the Paris climate treaty.
Fester...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:05 am »
As if any more evidence was needed that Trump is a moronic cretin...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/04/trump-berates-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-terror-attacks

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:41 pm »
The NY Times list of Trump's lies. During his first 40 days in office he lied every single day. Here’s list of some of his most egregious lies (you can check all this with any reputable sources):

Jan. 21 “I wasn’t a fan of Iraq. I didn’t want to go into Iraq.” (He was for an invasion before he was against it.)

Jan. 21 “A reporter for Time magazine — and I have been on their cover 14 or 15 times. I think we have the all-time record in the history of Time magazine.” (Trump was on the cover 11 times and Nixon appeared 55 times.)

Jan. 25 The Inauguration. “Now, the audience was the biggest ever. But this crowd was massive. Look how far back it goes. This crowd was massive.” (Official aerial photos show Obama’s 2009 inauguration was much more heavily attended.)

Jan. 25 “So, look, when President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can’t have that.” (There were no gun homicide victims in Chicago that day.)

Jan. 28 “The coverage about me in the @nytimes and the @washingtonpost has been so false and angry that the Times actually apologized to its dwindling subscribers and readers.”(It never apologized.)

Feb. 4 “After being forced to apologize for its bad and inaccurate coverage of me after winning the election, the FAKE NEWS @nytimes is still lost!” (It never apologized.)

Feb. 6 “I have already saved more than $700 million when I got involved in the negotiation on the F-35.” (Much of the price drop was projected before Trump took office.)

Feb. 6 “The failing @nytimes was forced to apologize to its subscribers for the poor reporting it did on my election win. Now they are worse!” (It didn’t apologize.)

Feb. 7 “And yet the murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years, right? Did you know that? Forty-seven years.” (It was higher in the 1980s and ’90s.)

Feb. 7 “I saved more than $600 million. I got involved in negotiation on a fighter jet, the F-35.” (The Defense Department projected this price drop before Trump took office.)

Feb. 10 On the Flynn issue. “I don’t know about it. I haven’t seen it. What report is that?” (Trump knew about Flynn’s actions for weeks.)

Feb. 16 “We got 306 because people came out and voted like they’ve never seen before so that’s the way it goes. I guess it was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan.” (George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama all won bigger margins in the Electoral College.)

Feb. 16 “Walmart announced it will create 10,000 jobs in the United States just this year because of our various plans and initiatives.” (The jobs are a result of its investment plans announced in October 2016.)

Feb. 24 “Obamacare covers very few people — and remember, deduct from the number all of the people that had great health care that they loved that was taken away from them — it was taken away from them.” (Obamacare increased coverage by a net of about 20 million.)

March 7 “122 vicious prisoners, released by the Obama Administration from Gitmo, have returned to the battlefield. Just another terrible decision!” (113 of them were released by President George W. Bush.)

April 11 “I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late. I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn’t know Steve.” (He knew Steve Bannon since 2011.)

April 12 I have people — hundreds of people that we’re trying to get through. I mean you have — you see the backlog. We can’t get them through.” (At this point, he had not nominated anyone for hundreds of positions.)

April 21 “When WikiLeaks came out … never heard of WikiLeaks, never heard of it.” (He criticized it as early as 2010.)April 27 “I want to help our miners while the Democrats are blocking their healthcare.” ((The bill to extend health benefits for certain coal miners was introduced by a Democrat and was co-sponsored by mostly Democrats.)

May 4 “We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world.” (The US is not.)

June 21 “They all say [The Paris climate agreement] is ‘nonbinding.’ Like hell it’s nonbinding.” (The Paris climate agreement is nonbinding — and Trump said so in his speech announcing the withdrawal.)

He’s even changing his lies over time:

When Trump said China stopped manipulating its currency

April 21
“from the time I took office”

April 29
“during the election”

April 30
“as soon as I got elected”

May 1
“since I started running”

MAY 4
“since I’ve been talking about currency manipulation”

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2017, 04:52:11 pm »
Worrying.

And yet another reason that I won't be visiting the USA again.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/jul/20/trump-supporters-northampton-county-pennsylvania-video

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:34 am »
Further to Ian's post on 8th July, here's the NYT definitive list:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trumps-lies.html?smid=tw-share

If you can wade through it, it makes fascinating reading. The fact is, the man is a pathological liar.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:26 am »
I think I posted back at the time of his election that Trump was highly likely to get yes all killed.
Even I never thought it could be so soon, but these accelerated threats of war and destruction seem to have reached a point of no return.

How many Americans voted for World War 3 ?
Fester...

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
Indeed;  the major problem is that the US military is composed of all types of people and Trump will be advised by them all.  The real issue is that he might only listen to those his insanity permits.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2017, 10:54:17 am »
He won't listen to anyone Ian, that's the problem.
He'll have an uncontrollable urge to 'solve the problem' his way, and just give the order.
He's playing fast and loose with 7 billion lives.
They need to remove him from office, urgently.
Fester...