Author Topic: International politics  (Read 86116 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: International politics
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 03:12:41 pm »
And he's not in power yet!

A week is a long time in Politics  but four years OMG .   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:59 pm »
An article in yesterday's Daily Mirror said that Donald Trump's big problem is that nobody knows when he tells the truth.He's fibbed so often it became a second nature for him.

Either Trump was correct when, for instance, he claimed to have met Russian President Vladimir Putin or correct when he subsequently insisted he had never met him.         ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:23 pm »
"Asked whether he would press ahead with a trade deal with the UK that would come into force after Brexit, Trump told the former justice secretary: “Absolutely, very quickly. I’m a big fan of the UK. We’re gonna work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly. Good for both sides.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/15/trumps-first-uk-post-election-interview-brexit-a-great-thing

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »
Pity it's got nothing to do with him directly. Macbeth meets Falstaff: Trump and Gove...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »
Pity it's got nothing to do with him directly. Macbeth meets Falstaff: Trump and Gove...
So why did Obama say that the UK would go to the back of the queue when it came to negotiating a trade deal?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »
So why did Obama say that the UK would go to the back of the queue when it came to negotiating a trade deal?

I think it was an idle threat to try and ensure the country voted to remain, as the USA tended to use the UK (their biggest ally) as a sort of bridge to Europe.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »
Well, Obama was talking in the third person; he could only hope Congress and the Senate saw it in the same way. But they negotiate trade deals - not US presidents.  And I agree with SDQ.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 12:41:10 am »
Whilst everyone talks about forging trade links, (as if they don't already globally already)  ... China is using words such as,,, 'we are now taking the gloves off, if President Trump persists in interfering in our affairs'

Am I the only one who sees a situation emerging here?
I'll put it this way, I've now decided that I'm not going to waste my middle years earning any more money, (just numbers really), whilst the major powers in this world are squaring up for catastrophic conflict which none of us will survive. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:09 am »
That's the really worrying part: the US president controls the armed forces. It's like putting Boris Johnson in charge of Science.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 10:12:24 am »
 I am old enough to remember the tension, the anxiety, fear and concern of my parents during the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. I have those same feelings now Donald Trump has been elected President of the United States, a racist megalomaniac with a tendency to incite violence who is a pathological liar and serial sex offender.

I am still actually in shock that he was actually elected, and what it says about the population of the USA.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 11:40:09 pm »
A delicious point made by an audience member on BBC Question time tonight.
In response to Piers Morgan saying 'Donald Trump is ok, he's a smart businessman',
She replied,
'So is Sir Philip Green, and look what a trail of destruction he left behind him'
Fester...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2017, 03:03:09 pm »
This is a brilliant, if worrying, piece on the election and inauguration  of Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/22/observer-view-donald-trump-inauguration

The second paragraph especially, rings frighteningly true.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2017, 04:09:31 pm »
Interesting. He's pro-Israel, Pro-Russian and anti-just-about-everyone-else. There seems to be no start to his intellect and his arrogance is breathtaking. But it's happening everywhere. Brexit, far-right leaders in Europe - the strangest things are happening in politics and I wonder how much it all has to do with the ubiquity of social media? We know, all too well, how people lie and cheat on social media, penning blogs without having the courage or honesty to put their own names to them. But if it were confined to the illiterate it might not be so bad.  However, there are also highly literate liars - Breitbart to name but one - and they spin webs of deceit, lies and corruption that can draw the gullible or overly trusting in, exactly the way scams do. 

These are not good times. Trump is CIC the US armed forces, so despite advisers urging caution, once he gives an order it will happen. And here - what do we have? TM, a smattering of Liberals and an imploding Labour Party.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 06:16:11 pm »
So Mr Trump's entourage are spending massive amounts of time arguing about (and lying about) the number of people attending his inauguration.
Well, one of the theories put forward is, there were more people at Pres Obama's inauguration because he was the first black president.
But that can't be right?  There should have been more turning out for Trump then seeing as he is the first ORANGE president!
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 12:57:22 pm »

So Donald Trump telephones Queen Elizabeth II and says, “Look Queenie, I'm now US President but I want to change the title. What do you think about me being a King?”

“That’s not possible,” says the Queen. “To be a king, you have to be in a kingdom!”

“Oh,” says Trump, “well, how about a Prince?” “No,” says the Queen, “to be a prince, you have to be in a principality!”

“Okay,” says Trump, “Then I’ll be a Duke.” “You can’t do that,” says the Queen, “To be a duke, you have to live in a dukedom.”

Trump, now getting frustrated, says to the Queen, “Okay, then what do you suggest?” “Well,” replies the Queen, “given what I know of you, and your policies, I think you should stay as a country....