Author Topic: International politics  (Read 86154 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: International politics
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:26 am »
Could I just say a quick 'Good Riddance' to Robert Mugabe, a murdering terrorist and racist, who has made life in Zimbabwe hell for millions of his own people for many years.  &shake&

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:18 am »
Could I just say a quick 'Good Riddance' to Robert Mugabe, a murdering terrorist and racist, who has made life in Zimbabwe hell for millions of his own people for many years.  &shake&

Agreed, but this quote says a lot    * Prominent opposition politician David Coltart tweeted: "We have removed a tyrant but not yet a tyranny.*       but we can hope for a better future for the country.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2017, 10:56:10 am »
Sadly, Emmerson Mnangagwa appears much in the same mould as Mugabe, and Zimbabwe may well be swopping one despot for another.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2017, 12:44:43 pm »
I never realised that Mugabe was from Yorkshire, until I read his name backwards. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:14 pm »
 _))* _))*

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2017, 11:14:31 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/22/federal-court-judicial-nominations-donald-trump

This is disturbing in the extreme. The appointment of Brett Talley and Thomas Farr beggars belief but is part of Trump's social engineering plan to mould USA society in his image, of ultra right wing bigotry.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2017, 10:24:43 am »
I never realised that Mugabe was from Yorkshire, until I read his name backwards.

Well E Ba Gum!  I guess it’s an old one but I don’t remember reading it before, thanks.

Perhaps there was a time I could have demanded  (at least it seems to work on paper when I try to come up with one now) "Embargo Brute" but he's gone now.

I can only hope things do work out for Zimbabwe.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2018, 02:48:40 pm »
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." —Einstein

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2018, 06:43:58 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2018, 04:18:38 pm »
Police launch investigation into the murder of a Russian business man,  It seems that Russia is in the news a lot nowadays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43433552

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:36 pm »
Police launch investigation into the murder of a Russian business man,  It seems that Russia is in the news a lot nowadays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43433552

The murdered guy was an outspoken opponent of Putin.
It seems his bumping off those who oppose him, irrespective of where they live.
A bit like that McMafia drama on telly recently.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »
Denmark is the latest country to put a ban on wearing burkas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44319921

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2019, 10:08:07 am »
I was pleased to see that the Goverment plans to strip Shamima Begum of her British citizenship. She is an enemy of this country and she can rot in Syria for the rest of her life, as far as I am concerned.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2019, 10:38:36 am »
This is about as far from simple as you can get.  I'm glad the Times reporter found her and got this out into the open but it's a horrendously complex issue.

I agree the gut reaction (fuelled by the tabloids) is to make her stateless, but that of course is illegal under the treaties to which we not only signed but of which we were the instigators.  So I suspect that's a non-starter. Previous attempts by the government to try the same tactic have been defeated by the courts.

Naturally, the right-wing press are having a field day and the popular choice is to make her stateless and leave her where she is. The question being posed here, however, is whether that's the moral thing to do.

I would favour allowing her to return, then taking her child into care before charging her with membership of a proscribed organisation.  That way we have her where we can keep an eye on her, and we might even learn something, although it has to be said she doesn't seem that bright.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2019, 11:35:33 am »
It's not a gut reaction to make her stateless because the Government knows full well that to do that is illegal under the law.   As both her parents are of Bangladeshi origin she may have dual nationality so therefore the British citizenship has been taken away and she will now be Bangladeshi, although she alleges that she has never been there.
She chose to go there in the first place and has no remorse whatsoever about her actions so why should the UK help her in any way.

It's very complicated but her parents have said that they will appeal against the UK decision but I wonder who will pay for the appeal?