Author Topic: Vanished shops of Llandudno  (Read 18324 times)

Re: Vanished shops of Llandudno
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Marie et Cie!  This from the Rest and Be Thankful:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Charming though it was, it's a bit of a stretch to imagine anyone would have flown an ocean specially for its ladies' and children's fashions.

And does anyone remember the 1970s boutique Sandpiper, that used to be opposite?  So-o-o trendy, back then...

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
I remember Sandpiper when its owner, Mrs Barbara Thatcher, was a client of mine.

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Mum & I would spend ages browsing in there.  I'm sure we bought some things.  And we'd go to Tiffany's on the corner, which I see is still there!  It was new then, and presumably named after the Tiffany lamps that were in vogue (and hanging over every table).

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
I don't know about that but I believe the same gentleman who ran it then is still running it today.

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »
Ahh Sandpiper-- I once bought a ring there !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
I remember Sandpiper - I thought they soldvey nice children's clothes?

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »
They did.  Not childish, stylish, proper "fashion".  Ladies' and children's; and jewellery, yes.

And Bri: good to hear if it's still the same man in Tiffany's.  I see the Coffee Centre lives on too, amazingly!  (With the same menu?  I always had double burger with chips and fried onions, after we'd been to Marks.)

Shame about Sandbach's.  That was my favourite. Rose and violet creams in a white paper bag with red drawstrings.  And squares of bright green mint.  On the first floor they sold Caithness Glass and gifts; then the tea shop on the top floor. 

I went there last with a friend on a day trip from Chester in the late 1990s. The furniture was a little bit modernised, but the menu was the same.  We had crumpets, teacakes and scones with hot chocolate (it was November), after a brisk walk on the pier.  Very sad that it's gone.   :-[

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
hills of craigydon had an austin lorry when they were fruit&veg. for many years it sat in the back alley behind the shop orange paintwork slowly fading to pink!!!

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Craig y Don in the 1970's ....

As mentioned Hill 's florist run by Mr John Hill and his wife
Needham's bakers run by Mr Jim Needham and wife Meg
Frost's ironmongers run by Mr Frost, a great store , floors that creaked and the smell of .... well traditional ironmongery
Cross shoes shop run by Mr Cross, I remember shoe boxes to the roof and al old wooden step ladder the assistant had to climb to get the shoes down.
Pardon!s sports shop, again a sole trader Mr Pardon always dressed in a very smart suit.
Pat's bargain store
A small narrow sweet shop
Valley Radio with the speaker which looked like a large megaphone on the corner which played Christmas tunes during the festive season.
Fortes cafe

Across the road
Dunphys corner, a delicatessen which was not called that back in the day, I think they classed themselves as 'purveyors of fine food'.  I remember a Mr Watson who worked on the bacon counter, white overall and he had a missing index finger!  His son Chris had a toy shop in CyD.
E Boote and son, beds and furniture shop, they also developed a store on Mostyn Broadway
Zion alleyway .....
Butchers cannot remember the name though
The Chiltern Grill was run by a Mr Matthews at one time
Waterworths fruit and veg shop, always remember the ladies there put everything in brown paper bags, twisted them round to knot either end, then wrote the price on the corner of the bag.
Veterinary surgery run by Miss Birks
Brian Bates hairdressers was along there too

Cross Mostyn Avenue .......

Vogue hairdressers on the corner opposite St Paul's Church
Cross Victoria Stree
Prion House, a guest house run by Mr and Mrs  Mullin.
Some kind of antique shop
Moores and Tavner, wool shop run by Mrs Moores the chatty one and Miss Tavner very quiet.
Gateway to the Bank House
Midland Bank, managed by Mr Edwards. Traditional bank with lovely wooden counter.
Clark's Library run by Mr Stephen Ruscoe
Bank House door
Mace run by Mr and Mrs Basil and Lyn Howe, Mr Howe ran the bacon counter, 'old man Howe', Basil's father stood in sometimes!
Hughes Gentlemans outfitters
Ellerton's toy shop
Mr Wilcox electrical store, a long thin shop
A sweet shop, this was taken over by the Ruscoe family, Stephen's brother Peter ran it, their mother helped out too.
Emlyn Williams Chemist was on the corner
A dog grooming shop was round the corner.
Opposite was Pratt's fishmongers
Mr Chris Watson's toy shop was on the corner
County Hotel

Cross the road

A cafe which was down some steps, only open in the summer.
Frank Tyldesley builders.
Benards picture framers
Neville's Chemist
Wool Post which was a wool, curtain and haberdashery shop with Post Office run by Mr Robbie Roberts.
Nat West Bank
Newsagents, once run by Mr and Mrs Palmer
Antique shop run by Mr Hopwood
Lloyds Bank

I have probably missed some shops out, it was a thriving town back then.

How times have changed, the only shop still running is Benards.

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
Great list, well done!  $good$